Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sherwood 10" Hybrid saw

Hi all,

My next woodworking purchase will be a step up from my triton to a decent table saw. While browsing I came across this fella http://www.timbecon.com.au/sawing/ta...id-cabinet-saw that i hadn't seen nor heard much of before. Common consensus is that most cabinet style TS under $2K are likely from the same factory and only separated by small factors. Is this one similar or a different beast altogether? Anyone seen it in the flesh at Timbecon or better still, used one?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

hi Jone5y, I was looking at the same saw did you find out any more info on it?
    cheers tom.

Nope, was pretty sure someone here might have been able to shed some light on it. On paper it looks very good but we've all been caught by that before to some degree.

I have seen one, at least I think it was that saw at the opening of the Melbourne Timbecon store. I was comparing it to my Men’s Shed contractor version of the Saw Stop saw, which is also a 254mm saw.

A couple of things, dust extraction from the saw blade guard looks to be impossible with what is shown, perhaps there is an accessory blade guard/cover with dust extraction possibilities. Most sheet material that I cut is usually man made, removing that dust via an extraction system is a priority for me.

With the extension bars of the fence guide rails to the right of the machine (as you stand in front of it that is) just hanging there, I would surmise that somewhere in either Timbecons or the manufacturers armoury, there is a piece of ply covered in shiny paint that fits perfectly inside those extended guide rails. Our Saw Stop saw had as an accessory, a piece like that which we purchased, worth every cent. I have seen a couple of saws in sheds/garages where the owners had placed a piece of sheet material, either MDF or plywood in there.

They don’t show the all-important left and/or rear sides, one of which will have the dust extraction port, this could have a bearing of placement in your work shop. Another less important thing, although reasonably relative, is whether the dust port is 4” or 100mm.

Can the saw take a Dado blade set? If it can, how wide a dado set can it take without any changes to the arbour? You may think your usage of a Dado set may probably be minimal to non-existent, probably true; until you use one that is. They can be fiddly to set up right, sometimes you will have to fudge, but they are quite a handy thing to have when you are making lots of slots in book case sides for 19mm shelves, for instance.

Just some thoughts.

Mick.

I looked at the Timbecon saws and when I got up close was disappointed with the build quality. It may have been hastily put together for display, or made on a Friday, but the cast pieces for the top didn't seem to align very well. i ended up buying a Harvey 10" table Saw. I am about to take delivery of it, so can't comment yet on its operation, but it takes a big Dado set, 3Hp and looks reasonably made, for a chinese saw. May come out of the factory next door to the sherwood or even the same factory for all I know, but it seemed a better saw to me. http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/h...0t30-tablesaw/

For over twice the price, one would expect there to be some element of 'you get what you pay for'.

Interesting point regarding the display unit construction. Poor assembly seems to be a common thread in a lot of people's impressions of gear from showroom floors. It must be hard to tell whether it is a result of poor manufacturing or apathy on behalf of those who have prepared it for display. either way, it can't help sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Jone5y View Post
    Interesting point regarding the display unit construction. Poor assembly seems to be a common thread in a lot of people's impressions of gear from showroom floors. It must be hard to tell whether it is a result of poor manufacturing or apathy on behalf of those who have prepared it for display. either way, it can't help sales.
    This is what put me off buying a Hafco BS - the showroom models were rusty and poorly assembled - not to mention that the sales person could only read back to me what I could read on the sales ticket.

My experience with a Sherwood TS was the reverse. The showroom model I looked at was reasonably well put together and the cast iron top was level and clear. The one I bought looked like it was the one made on a friday with the cast iron top having several small casting flaws/voids in the T-track. I ended up bogging up the voids, replacing the OH guard, removed the el crappo dust extraction surround around the underneath of the blade and adding a conical Al hopper underneath. It's not perfect but it's still running after 8 years so given the price I can't really complain.