Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Storage 'lean to' and compressor house

Hi all

I've bought a house and have a two car garage to work in. My plan is to have it setup for one car space parking, and the rest as shed, with the possibility of wheeling machines together at the back to fit both cars in if needed. For this to work I need to get as much unneeded stuff out as possible.

Down one side of the shed is a fair size walk space where the bins and an air conditioner are located. There is a space ~230cm long, 45cm wide (aircon is 45cm wide, so that sets the width) and 190cm high that I'm going to build a small storage cupboard in.

I'm going to put my compressor in there. It'll store a push mower, whipper snipper, and various garden tools.

I'm planning a timber frame, probably clad in fibre cement mostly. Skillion roof.

My main quandary is the doors. Sliding doors is probably wisest but I'm not finding much in the way of well priced sliding hardware. Googling for non commercial solutions just results in standard commercial products.

Other options are bifold - probably harder than sliding.
    Standard hinged doors - could get annoying opening in to the narrow space.

Any suggestions?
    I would think there should be an easy, cheap solution for sliding. On inside cabinets I would just consider wood in wood slots, but I think outside, exposed to weather and with some need for sealing, it might not be the best approach.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Galvanised angle as the track and a slot in the bottom and maybe top of the doors ?

How wide are you looking for? Check out building demolition yards, should be able to pick up a normal house door and track for about $150 or less.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Hi all

I've bought a house and have a two car garage to work in. My plan is to have it setup for one car space parking, and the rest as shed, with the possibility of wheeling machines together at the back to fit both cars in if needed. For this to work I need to get as much unneeded stuff out as possible.

Down one side of the shed is a fair size walk space where the bins and an air conditioner are located. There is a space ~230cm long, 45cm wide (aircon is 45cm wide, so that sets the width) and 190cm high that I'm going to build a small storage cupboard in.

I'm going to put my compressor in there. It'll store a push mower, whipper snipper, and various garden tools.

I'm planning a timber frame, probably clad in fibre cement mostly. Skillion roof.

My main quandary is the doors. Sliding doors is probably wisest but I'm not finding much in the way of well priced sliding hardware. Googling for non commercial solutions just results in standard commercial products.

Other options are bifold - probably harder than sliding.
    Standard hinged doors - could get annoying opening in to the narrow space.
    A 45 cm wide space gives very little wiggle room - you must have very small bins.

45 cm = 18" - to get the compressor into that space (and into an enclosure that holds the compressor) and allowing only 1" for wall thickness the compressor can be no wider than about 8.5".

I have my Dust Collector and compressor enclosure in a walk space but it's 1250 mm wide at one end 1500mm wide at the other.
    I used hinged doors but I used split hinges so I can completely take the doors off the hinges when I want to get stuff in and out of these enclosures which is not often.

If you compressor is not very heavy you could always just make a box with a hinged top like a chest.

Remember a compressor needs cooling so you cannot seal the box completely which means if noise is an issue for your neighbors you will need a baffled air inlet.
    Noise control is also hard rot achieve with sliding doors.
    I have forced air reticulation on mine - the fan goes on when the compressor goes on and it stays on for a programmable time thereafter.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's only a 25L or so compressor, I think only slightly over a foot wide.

I am planning for a fan.

The bins are standard wheelie bins, but you have to turn partly sideways to get past them. I didn't think that would be kosher for a semi-permanent structure.

Angle sounds like a good idea. I had been thinking C channel, but angle, perhaps with grooved wheels in the doors would probably be more compact.