Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pure tung oil - big price difference - thewoodworks.com.au vs. Organoil vs. Sceney's?

Looking for pure tung oil for a hardwood timber floor.

Has anyone had any experience with these products and could lend an opinion?

TheWoodWork's tung oil is about twice the price of Sceney's for 20L. Organoil is also about twice the price.

Is Sceney's inferior in some way?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Not 100% sure but I think Sceneys is a supplier whilst the other are resellers. Pretty sure all are pure tung oil so theoretically there shouldn't be a difference other than the prices.

Could be wrong. It has been known to happen.

Would it be fun if we were always right Neil...

Apart from the price, one would need to know how "pure" one or the other product is? This can too, have a huge affect on the end price. If applying tung oil on a timber floor, make sure you follow their sanding and application procedures to a T.
    Livos Australia

<O</O

I've used Organoil and Sceney's. Both work very well.

The application of Tung Oil, be it pure or diluted with Terpene or White spirit is not a procedure shrouded in mystery. You will get results using the total saturation followed by incubation, then reflooding followed by random orbital sanding, but using either Organoil or the Festool stuff will not give you the best result.You'll find yourself going over the finished wood with tissue paper to adsorb the oil that will resurface for weeks afterwards. Don't be put off by the fact that you are using floor boards, I can't see why Sceney's wouldn't do the job required. It's been in the market for quite a while...and it's Victorian!
    Look here and here for a method that works.

My cyprus floors (1916 house) were sanded then had two coats of tung oil a day apart, left about 3 days from memory then coated with Gemini. That was 10 years ago. Quick mop with hot water and a detergent they recommended then a recoat of Gemini when required - maybe once a year on heavy traffic areas?

I recently used Organoil Garden furniture oil on my table made from recycled floorboards. Its a mixture of mainly tung oil with terpene, eucalyptus oils, bees wax etc. Brushed on super wet, wiped off with lint free rag 1 hour later, left for 2 days, brushed on again super wet, left 1 hour then wiped off with lint free rag. Left for 5 days then we were using the table. No oil has resurfaced, no stains on sleeves rubbing on the table etc. Couldn't be happier
    I looked at using pure tung oil but recommended procedures was to dilute with terpene 50/50 anyway for two coats which could then be followed up with pure tung oil for more coats if needed, so I went with Organoil as I could buy it locally.