Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Dust extraction for small CNC

I need to start thinking about dust collection for my nearly complete XYZ-Carve. While I do have a smallish dust collector, it won't fit in the room where the XYZ-Carve will be living, besides it's has a 120mm hose and the largest host it's practical to use is around 50mm.
    I have a Shop Vac and a Dust Deputy cyclone which I can press into service but I'm not sure how reliable it will be running for (potentially) hours at a time, I'm sure the shop-vac isn't built for this.

Suggestions please!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Unlimited budget Option.
    Clearvue Max cyclone located outside the room
    50 mm duct to clear chips and an 8" duct to clear the room air of dust.

Budget limited Option
    Shop vac (located outside the room) for the chips and a couple of bathroom exhaust fans to constantly vent the entire room to the outside.

Same problem with my tiny cnc.
    Going to get the Aldi $49.99 bagless vac next week and experiment with that.
    Might work but cheap enough to try.

I'd love to rig up my current dust collector (A DeWalt 1HP) to the CNC but there's no way that the CNC could handle the extra weight of a 120mm hose, even if I could get it into the room.
    A vacuum cleaner with an induction motor would be better than a brushed motor for running long hours but they only seem to be available in industrial vacuum cleaners and they're not cheap.

If I want run the cyclene/shop-vac outside the shed, I'd have to punch a hole through the wall which is fibro, old so almost certainly asbestos based, which would be a whole other health issue.
    Same goes for some sort of extractor fan.

First things first though, get the CNC finished/running.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    I'd love to rig up my current dust collector (A DeWalt 1HP) to the CNC but there's no way that the CNC could handle the extra weight of a 120mm hose, even if I could get it into the room.
    One solution to this problem that works for me is to support the hose via an ocky strap running along a wire flying fox arrangement up near the ceiling. I do this when I attach 100 mm hose from power tools - it works great.

[QUOTE]A vacuum cleaner with an induction motor would be better than a brushed motor for running long hours but they only seem to be available in industrial vacuum cleaners and they're not cheap. [QUOTE]
    If you can find an old national or panasonic VC, even though they have a brushed motor they seem to tun forever. Our first National was our main VC for 15 years before becoming my shed VC - it was the only DC I had and it used to tun for hours on end without a problem. I only threw it away after I dropped it and the case split. I found an LG by the side of the road that is my Forge blower - it runs for and hour at a time without probs.

If I want run the cyclene/shop-vac outside the shed, I'd have to punch a hole through the wall which is fibro, old so almost certainly asbestos based, which would be a whole other health issue.
    Same goes for some sort of extractor fan.
    The risk from a ~ 1/2 day exposure to asbestos fibres (and I assume you would wear a mask, gloves while doing this) will be FAR less than the many days of exposure to fine wood dust.

As the CNC is only 1 metre square, I'd planned to have the hose suspended over the centre of the router with enough slack to reach each corner. A hook in the ceiling and a bungie cord would be a good way to support this.
    I've just had a look in the shed and there's about 100mm gap between the tin and the (masonite) ceiling lining. Better yet, on the outside wall where this gap is, it's covered with a strip of plywood rather than fibro.
    Enough room to run a length of PVC pipe for a poor man's ducted system. Still the issue of installing an extractor fan through the wall.

If you can find a second hand Makita/Festo shop vac (they look like a cube), get it. It'll set you back a couple of hundred bucks, but well worth it. They'll run for hours at a time and a 50mm hose on it will suck your eyeball out.