Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The end of my world as I know it.

SWMBO has officially been retired for a few weeks and been busy with horse riding and her wide range of crafts.
    She already has a bench (the nicest one) in my shed for her small rock and glass work which she is also getting back into.
    Under the bench she has a small rock tumbler, not the metal rotary ones but an upright 2L amphora shaped hard rubber thing that vibrates sideways to swirl the contents - it works much faster than the rotary types. Above the bench shed has a small (4") diamond cutting saw, and a 6" diamond lapping wheel which also adapts to a diamond spindle cutter. She also has a Dremel on a drill press plus heaps of neat goodies like fine diamond bits that I use from time to time.

The other day she asked me if I would turn some more wooden beads and rings. I've made a few dozen for her before from some Jam and also Sheoak, but now she s talking hundreds of beads. I said I was too busy and she then asked me if I would show her how to do them. So, turning and bandsaw cutting lessons were in order. Normally if we have teach each other anything within 2 minutes we are shouting at each other so we avoid this situation but this time it all went very smoothly and she picked it up very quickly. OHS wise she takes everything seriously so I am not that worried about her on this score. After a hour or so of showing and watching, I was able to move back to my own work and she spent about 3 hours practicing, made lots of mess but she did clean up the sawdust but doesn't know where all the tools go yet so I had to do that.

Yesterday she went horse riding (she goes nearly everyday) but CAME HOME EARLY to get back onto the lathe.
    I had to go out and left her to it.
    When I came home 5 hours she was just finishing up and looked very satisfied with herself and she said she had the best time.
    Not much output at this stage, mainly just prepping materials, she's mainly using ~3/4" diameter rubbishy looking sticks and twigs (hence the emphasis on OHS).
    Now she's asking me how to sharpen!
    What next?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

New love as you develop more common interests. 😉

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    New love as you develop more common interests. 

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art
    Could be - I have to admit she is pretty crafty.

So is mine

Gotta love a crafty woman

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

I enjoy spending time with my wife in the shed. She has made some interesting things.

One thing thou she has said that I tend to work a little slow.

This could lead to his and hers lathes, then an even bigger shed, then ...

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam53 View Post
    I'm just glad to see the WW lathe being used as these days I tend to spend most of my time on MW.

I have been married 35 years and I write with some confidence regarding wives in the shed, when I state "It's a take over".

Ooow yeh
    Neil

BobL

Any option for a she-shed?

yvan

Default Mrs BobL's new shed

Hey Bob
    I saw your wife (whilst I was off to the .....gym... no, gunclub) and she was about to enter Spotlight. She said her new shed needed some curtains, aroma therapy essential oils and new mirror disco ball for the ceiling .

Not sure what all that means

Willy
    PS Plenty of room for you and your slabber at my new shed (sans oil, mirrorball and cutains)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Hey Bob
    I saw your wife (whilst I was off to the .....gym... no, gunclub) and she was about to enter Spotlight. She said her new shed needed some curtains,
    Hum . . . . . Most of the windows in the house have no curtains, in fact the only room in the house that has anything worth calling Curtains is the bedroom. I can't see the shed getting any special treatment

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    SWMBO has officially been retired for a few weeks and been busy with horse riding and her wide range of crafts.
    She already has a bench (the nicest one) in my shed for her small rock and glass work which she is also getting back into.
    Under the bench she has a small rock tumbler, not the metal rotary ones but an upright 2L amphora shaped hard rubber thing that vibrates sideways to swirl the contents - it works much faster than the rotary types. Above the bench shed has a small (4") diamond cutting saw, and a 6" diamond lapping wheel which also adapts to a diamond spindle cutter. She also has a Dremel on a drill press plus heaps of neat goodies like fine diamond bits that I use from time to time.

The other day she asked me if I would turn some more wooden beads and rings. I've made a few dozen for her before from some Jam and also Sheoak, but now she s talking hundreds of beads. I said I was too busy and she then asked me if I would show her how to do them. So, turning and bandsaw cutting lessons were in order. Normally if we have teach each other anything within 2 minutes we are shouting at each other so we avoid this situation but this time it all went very smoothly and she picked it up very quickly. OHS wise she takes everything seriously so I am not that worried about her on this score. After a hour or so of showing and watching, I was able to move back to my own work and she spent about 3 hours practicing, made lots of mess but she did clean up the sawdust but doesn't know where all the tools go yet so I had to do that.

Yesterday she went horse riding (she goes nearly everyday) but CAME HOME EARLY to get back onto the lathe.
    I had to go out and left her to it.
    When I came home 5 hours she was just finishing up and looked very satisfied with herself and she said she had the best time.
    Not much output at this stage, mainly just prepping materials, she's mainly using ~3/4" diameter rubbishy looking sticks and twigs (hence the emphasis on OHS).
    Now she's asking me how to sharpen!
    What next?

plus her own
    tools and tool rack
    grinder

the list goes on
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Does this mean that I can expect more frequent visits in the near future, Bob?

You've been wanting to tinker with my dust collector for ages!

The beer is cold.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    After a hour or so of showing and watching, I was able to move back to my own work and she spent about 3 hours practicing, made lots of mess but she did clean up the sawdust but doesn't know where all the tools go yet so I had to do that.
    What next?
    Haha, it's amazing. If you go and look at my wife's weaving setup, or her sewing setup you will be gobsmacked. Everything in neat rows and files, organized to the limit, every needle,
    every thread, every button in its own place.
    But when she comes to raid my workshop, she suddenly suffers from selective amnesia, and can't remember a thing about what she got from where. So I'll find a pile of tools on the radial arm saw table, or on the assembly bench ...

Ian's got it right: I've already bought her her own set of 6 baby Irwin quick-clamps, because she has an insatiable appetite for those, and they never come back from her sewing and felting loft in the barn, or her weaving studio (formerly known as the shearing shed).

And I'm threatened that she'll be doing 'more woodwork' once we get rid of the farm and move to the new place, because she'll no longer have sheep or an endless supply of wool.
    Now that will be interesting!

She does good work, although I often get called in as engineering advisor. She's invented and built a new type of beater for her looms for instance that is effectively a drawer without a bottom and a set of reeds instead of a drawer front - which eliminates the circular movement of the traditional beater design. Works a treat apparently. All based on a couple of too-long hence left-over drawer slides I had languishing on the shelves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast