Thread: Lynx/Pax Saws?

Default Lynx/Pax Saws?

AM looking at getting a Dovetail and Tenon saw for Christmas. The wife has lovingly agreed that if I give her the money she will buy me one.

Looking at 'entry level' saw's. Particularly the Veritas range.

But was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 'Lynx' brand like here http://www.timberbits.com/speed-dovetail-saw-8 .

I may be wrong here but I believe that the 'PAX' brand are of decent quality, and it seems they are all now made under one roof http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/

If any of our professional sawyers are out there could they please share there opinions.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Shane, a friend of mine bought a Lynx saw some time ago. It had a nice brass back & a perfectly good blade, but it had a horrible handle! It looked (& felt) much nicer after it got a bit of decent wood on it.

While boutique saws generally have nicer-looking handles (though some of them don't look all that comfy to me!), the metal in just about any saw made these days is pretty much the same, no matter what the saw costs, so there is little difference to be had there. I like to say that all saws become equal after the first sharpening.

As it happens, I have a couple of 'spare' saws that aren't committed to anyone, atm, if you are interested in a decent entry-level saw at a price that won't require you to take out a second mortgage, PM me & we'll see if there is anything that takes your fancy.....

Cheers,
    IW

Or .. be safe and go with the Veritas saws. Best bang for the buck.

No offence intended to Ian, who does excellent work (I have two of his). Just another option.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

No offense taken Derek, I meant to suggest Veritas myself. As you say, a decent bit of noise for your dollar...

Cheers,
    IW

I have to agree with Ian about the ....aesthetics.. of the handle.

Shane I have the Veritas Carcass pair and the Dovetail. Sitting here doing nothing if you want to take them for a bit of a test drive to see if they are what you are after.
    I really like them. Could have brought them yesterday if I had known.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Shane. The price on the cheaper Veritas and Pax saws may look tempting, but have you considered how your going to maintain these saws long term. Say in the next 12 months. Getting your saws professionally resharpened is likely to cost you around $15 - $20.00 a backsaw for a light sharpen. Broken teeth, expect more $$ to correct. If you take the option of learning how to sharpen your own saws; expect to pay around $12 - $15.00 for a reasonable quality 3 square taper file. They aren't cheap any more.

Another option available is to buy a couple of disposable Irwins hardened tooth backsaws. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=i...HTztC1MQsAQIPw

Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Shane. The price on the cheaper Veritas and Pax saws may look tempting, but have you considered how your going to maintain these saws long term. Say in the next 12 months. Getting your saws professionally resharpened is likely to cost you around $15 - $20.00 a backsaw for a light sharpen. Broken teeth, expect more $$ to correct. If you take the option of learning how to sharpen your own saws; expect to pay around $12 - $15.00 for a reasonable quality 3 square taper file. They aren't cheap any more.

Another option available is to buy a couple of disposable Irwins hardened tooth backsaws. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=i...HTztC1MQsAQIPw
    Yep, that looks mighty tempting, Stewie ...

Shane, all saws need to be sharpened after a while. A dovetail saw is dead simple to touch up, and I reckon that you may do so perhaps once a year, depending on the wood you work. It's the same as plane or chisel blades - cutting steel eventually needs sharpening. However I doubt a backsaw will need to be sharpened in the first year, maybe longer. If this bothers you, consider Japanese saws. They are cheap and disposable.

Take up Ian's offer. He makes terrific saws. Or get the Veritas/LV saws - they are amazing for their price.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

The teeth on Japanese Saws tend to break on Australian Hardwoods. Fact not fiction.

Thanks to all for their feedback.

Planemaker - I do have some files on order and will be practicing on a cheap old saw I have, and yes they are not cheap. But for the likely amount of cutting they will do, should get some good time between sharpens. I also have a cheapo Bahco saw, which although works well I am moving into that phase of really enjoying using more quality hand tools.

I also have a Japanese saw and I do thoroughly enjoy using this, but again want to try something else. I have had a go at the Veritas and Lie Nielson saws at the wood show but have never had anything to compare them to.

And finally I will most definitely be taking Ian up on his offer.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a sensible approach Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Sounds like a sensible approach Shane.
    Now you've got me worried... I've never been accused of being sensible before..

Shane. When you have the time, watch this tutorial on saw sharpening. Its excellent value.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_MF2Mnxwc