Default Dremel 3D printer

I got an email from the green shed about a Dremel 3D printer. Being a complete noob, I have no idea on what I want to use it for other than to learn from it. Is this printer a good place to start?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If your not sure what you want to do with it $1350 is a lot to spend. I'd be more inclined to go with a chinese supplied Prusa i3, which you can for around $350 including shipping at the moment.

The Prusa i3 is an open source design, based on the reprap. People are working constantly on the designs, so you can upgrade your extruder for improved ones as they get developed.

Most of the Ben Heck Show (youtube) projects use 3d printers, so you could check that out if your looking for inspiration of what to do with one. I'm vaguely planning on getting one, mostly to use for making custom cases for some electronics projects.

One thing to note - none of them are very quick. You might want to plan your project work around doing other things while the part(s) are being printed.

The Dremel printer is based on the Flashforge Dreamer which is a dual extruder model for a slightly higher price.
    It has a smallish build area of 230x140x150, the Prusa i3 is twice that.

Default Is Prusa i3 difficult to put together?

Thanks guys, I have put a PC together before but not something like this, Is there somewhere I can get a good set of instructions on how to do that?
    I have looked on ebay for a complete kit set but not sure where I can find one for $350. Is there any recommended link to a reliable source? What about the software, where would you download the software? Sorry It seems I have so many questions sometimes I don't know where to start.

Try aliexpress
    http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...ext=3d+printer
    first cab off the rank on the search is $358, free shipping, 2 rolls of filament, with cheaper (and more expensive) ones as you scroll down the page.

At first glance the differences between them seem to be print area, precision, speed and included "freebies". You might want to do up a spreadsheet comparing the different offerings. It might be more complex than that. not sure.

I've had no problems buying off aliexpress in the past, but as I've never needed to test the buyer protections I don't know how good they are. In theory the money is held in escrow (how do you spell that?) until you either indicate that your happy (or not) with the transaction, or until it times out (in case you forget).

With regards to instructions on putting it together, I don't know about the instructions that come with those machines, but in principle all the information regarding the prusa i3 design is open source and available to download for free. The main page for the Prusa i3 design is here (http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3) and the build instructions are here (http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Build_Manual). There is also another build manual linked off that page, which takes you here (http://prusa3d.dozuki.com/c/Prusa_i3_kit)

Sorry I can't provide better info than that - I havn't actually purchased or attempted to build one. Just a vague thought at the moment.

Which ever way you decide to go, make sure you get a unit or upgrade it to a heated bed or at least ensure that it is in an enclosed area. If not you will suffer model warping and other abnormalities that you get with 3d printers that live in open work spaces and open to the drafts and elements of a normal house or garage.

I watched with amusement the Dremil rep scratching his head at our local Bunnings wondering why his model was warping. No heated bed and with the tornado type cold air gusts that frequent the big flying hanger what was he expecting.

My two bobs worth.

Cheers,
    Steve