Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ledacraft pt-107 planer/thicknesser

Hi, I am looking at a spiral head combination planer thicknesser & hanker for the Jet JPT260, but with a spiral head I am looking at $3400!!
    Are any members familiar with the LEDACRAFT PT-107 PLANER/THICKNESSER? Space is tight & I may have problems if the wings fold over. Regards, Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Peter I don't have any experience with the either the Leda or Jet machines but I can recommend the Carbatec AW106PTX machine,it does have a true spiral head and gives a very good finish.The infeed and outfeed table hinge back when in thicknessing mode.There is no real issue with extra space as they don't go back far from the vertical.You need to allow a space for the length of the dovetail bar on fence assembly.
    I have used it extensively for over 2 years and have nothing but praise for it in the price range (currently $2300 ish) I paid $ 1700 when I bought mine.
    There is still a significant saving over both the Leda and the Jet.
    The Jet as far as I now is a true spiral head whereas the Leda appears not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mark david View Post
    Hi Peter I don't have any experience with the either the Leda or Jet machines but I can recommend the Carbatec AW106PTX machine,it does have a true spiral head and gives a very good finish.The infeed and outfeed table hinge back when in thicknessing mode.There is no real issue with extra space as they don't go back far from the vertical.You need to allow a space for the length of the dovetail bar on fence assembly.
    I have used it extensively for over 2 years and have nothing but praise for it in the price range (currently $2300 ish) I paid $ 1700 when I bought mine.
    There is still a significant saving over both the Leda and the Jet.
    The Jet as far as I now is a true spiral head whereas the Leda appears not to be.
    Thanks Mark, I looked at that machine, but the wings fold back into the work space which is a real problem!! Peter

What makes a true Spiral Head?

I'm looking at the 12inch versions of the three brands.
    I'm leaning towards Ledacraft or Jet. I just can't workout what differentiates them.

Quote Originally Posted by john1986 View Post
    What makes a true Spiral Head?
    A spiral cutter head has small cutters placed spirally around the cutting head. If it is a helix then the cutters are angled to the direction of cut to provide a shearing action and is supposedly smoother. They may also be slightly curved giving an even smoother surface.

I believe the best finish is from a sharp well adjusted straight edge however the helical and spiral heads are far more forgiving, the sintered carbide cutters are much more durable and if you chip a cutter you can just replace/rotate the single cutter this not destroying a set of knives.

John

Did you proceed with the Ledacraft and if so how is it. I am considering one and I have not seen any feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Did you proceed with the Ledacraft and if so how is it. I am considering one and I have not seen any feedback
    Unfortunately not Norm, I am in the middle of renovating & moving, so the Leda will have to wait. It still looks the best machine going around part from the Jet 260 with a CTS head installed, very expensive option. Peter

Thanks Peter,
    I am debating between the Sheppach planer 3 and the Ledacraft. Both around the same price. Norm

I've had a 12" Leda spiral surface planner since about the 20/12/15. I had to replace the original rubber band belts as they were cr.. other than that no problems. And its bloody heavy... 450kgs.
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

I have the little 6" (152mm) model and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks Peter,
    I am debating between the Sheppach planer 3 and the Ledacraft. Both around the same price. Norm
    Hi Norm, personally, I would have the Leda spiral head over the Scheppach. Peter

Thanks for the feed back