Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Saw Bolt Assemblies.

Getting expensive with the current usd exchange rate. I just ordered 12 pairs (24) from https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...tem/GT-CKIT.XX.

au$197.14 + au$17.95 shipping = au$215.09

Stewie;

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

ouch
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Gee, I should have bought more than I did when in NY a year ago. The cost is now $18 a pair!
    Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Heavansabove View Post
    Gee, I should have bought more than I did when in NY a year ago. The cost is now $18 a pair!
    Cheers
    Peter

I wasn't game to work it out
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Certainly cant blame a rise in base metal prices.

For screws made in the United States that price is not making Grammercy any profit.

Several quotes I solicited a couple of years ago for split nut saw screws had prices that were similar and in some cases higher. I discussed the costing with one of the manufacturers and it turns out that the material price accounts for a relatively small portion of the final price. Machineability is a big factor as is the complexity and or features of the design, machine time is expensive. Lot size also makes a big difference, lots of 1000 were quoted at about 3X the price of lots of 5000.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

For screws made in the United States that price is not making Grammercy any profit.

Rob. I suggest Gramercy are making at least 200% above costs on each saw bolt assembly sold. If sourcing within the USA is too expensive, Joel from Gramercy would be using an overseas supplier to maximize the companies profit margin. No successful business works to a non profit margin for too long.

Stewie;

Stewie,

They may buy huge lots or they may make them in house or they may be of foreign manufacture, does anybody have any more information?

The usual profit margin that I've encountered in my career for low complexity industrial products generally must be at least 4X costs in the US for the company to be viable. Some manufactured products carry much higher profit margins of course.

Nonetheless, $215A is a lot to pay for two dozen screws.

Regards,
    Rob
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavansabove View Post
    Cheers
    Peter
    Great time for Australian manufacturers

It would be interesting to see figures for the past year to evaluate the effect of the currency exchange rates. Looks like the US did somewhat worse in the employment figures as well.

If you can find a small tool and die shop that has a CNC metal lathe, they will sometimes do small batches, a few hundred, during their slow downs to keep the lathe guys working. Especially during the holidays. You supply the materials, of course. Mine are partially made by CNC. I have to cut out the medallions, tap, and square off the bolts myself to keep the cost down. Since I don't keep track of my time on that, the savings is passed on. Ultimately I make very little on them. It is more of a service to others. The monetary exchange is a finicky thing indeed.