Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Building table saw table or buy contractor saw

I am a hobbyist with little room living in a block of units.

I own a portable Dewalt table saw. I have few problems with it.

1. it's alot louder than my previous Triton Workcentre. noise level is a concern in my neighbourhood.
    2. dust extraction is somehow worse on the Dewalt as opposed to my old Triton. dust still flies towards me as I'm cutting MDF, even though I have the dust extractor hooked up.
    3. veyr limited space.

I have realised it's more of a saw to be carried on construction site, rather than a carpenter's saw.

I am faced with a dilemma, and tell me if this is going to work.

1. Buy an aftermarket fence, mount it on a big workbench, cut out a hole to fit the saw and use the aftermarket fence.

or

2. just get a contractor's saw.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

for ideas, questions were asked about this stand by another poster earlier in the week

It's made by a company called Rouseau in the US http://rousseauco.com/ and comes in several configurations, the simplest being

dust extraction is somehow worse on the Dewalt as opposed to my old Triton. dust still flies towards me as I'm cutting MDF, even though I have the dust extractor hooked up.
    how much of the blade is showing when you are cutting MDF?
    If it's the whole blade, the cutting action will be mainly in a downwards direction and the dust should be carried through to the underside of the cut.
    If it's just the top of the teeth then the cutting action has a significant forwards component and some will be thrown at you.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

The noise from a cutting circular saw comes mainly from 3 sources.

The first is the motor. If the saw uses an universal motor like on most hand held circulars then these will be much noisier than induction motor powered saws.

The next source is the teeth on the blade moving past the throat plate. There's no cure for this - some blades and gap sizes are better than others, you just have to try a few out.

Finally the noise during the cutting - there's not much you can do about that, apart from ensuring the blade is SHARP which means a shorter time spent cutting.

FWIW contractor saws are not that portable and cannot for example be carried by one person. At best they can be moved on wheels or with a sack trolley.

It won't need to be portable. Just small enough for storing in a normal size garage. It's a direct drive and it's noisy , making those high pitch noises which is causing a headache for neighbours