Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default festool ets150/3 eq brushes - when to get?

I need your advice O wise ones!

I've an ETS150/3 EQ. It's seen a lot of good work (potentially quite a bit) and I'd like to see it keep going. It is a superb machine and I'm enjoying it greatly.

I'm concerned that the brushes might be getting low.

If they do "run out", will they shove something nasty into the armature and effectively destroy it like so many other tools out there, or is there some sort of safety limiter stopping this foul end from occurring?

Ordering isn't a problem, that covered easily enough, but I don't want to replace something that will either give me 12 months more work or will "just stop" when the brush refuses to spring any further in. The last would be ideal

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I suggest you give Anthony at Ideal tools a call. He can give you a heap of info on just what you're asking. I replaced my own ETS150/3's bearings a couple of years ago. Simple process and you can get the parts from Ideal Tools. It's good to have people like Anthony around.

I would certainly expect a Festool to have a safety cut-out. Any particular reason for the concern? Can you see/hear the brushes arcing, or just general maintenance?

I know the unit has been well used and it's second hand.

Opening it up reveals a good quantity left given the pictures of new replacements. I'm not concerned other than to plan. I'd rather have a set for ~$45 Just In Case than ordering and finding they take 19 weeks to come in.

Worse, fining I need a new set after the carriers have torn into the armateur. I've seen this first hand on drills and a router.... The design is like a purpose built self destruct.... bbbbzzzttt.... CRACK! Your sub-one-second warning was issued and ignored! Your warranty ran out last week!

Im hoping the carriers of the brushes have some sort of limiter on them so it sort of just sparks or doesn't cooperate when they get low. I'm not about to tear it down to find out

From
    ETS 125/3 EQ Plus, ETS 150/3 EQ Plus, ETS 150/5 EQ Plus Supplemental User’s Manual
    Ref: http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/ETS_Sanders.pdf

Motor Brush Replacement
    The brushes are designed to disconnect power to the motor when they have warn beyond their usable life. If your sander stops working,it is likely that the brushes have warn and need replacement.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Many thanks to all. The manual - who would have thought

I also took time to write to Festool. They said this morning: "The brushes supplied with our ETS150/3-5 Sanders are fitted with a safety button which will stop the machine before any damage can be done due to the brushes being worn." (John from Festool)

All solved and many thanks to all.