Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Anyone got a plan for a modular winerack?

I'm looking to build a modular style wine rack out of Australian pine. Something like this photo:

Has anyone got any plans or suggestions as to where I could find plans for something like this project?

Ideally I'm looking to store around 200 bottles, in a rectangular style, but may like to expand it over time. The sky and my budget are the only limits!

Look forward to hearing your replies!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I wouldnt bother with plans for something so simple, just make whats needed and what fits the bill.
    Spacing for bottles are around 100-120 center to center,
    ie; allow
    100-120mm height between levels/rows,
    100-120mm center to center of cut-outs(scollops),
    spacing front rail too rear rail about 200-250mm.

Theres not many bottles on the market over 100mm in dia and 300mm in height... but there is allways one that wont fit, this is why I allow for 120mm dia(champagne's mainly)

Harry's right. You won't need any plans other than the ones you make yourself. It's more satisfying that way. The rack in the picture looks like it would be made out of 70x19mm for the bottle supports and 70x35 or 70x45mm for the sides. Both of these are readily available from any timber supplier.
    If you are going to use pine, I wouldn't have 12 positions like the one in the picture because it's very difficult to get good pine that doesn't have knots. A dozen wine bottles weigh a fair bit and one knot can weaken the timber considerably.
    I have eight bottles per row on mine and the cutouts have 50mm between them. There's a 100mm space between the 4th and 5th to provide more strength in the middle. It's 170mm from front to back and 95mm height between the rows. Don't make the rows any closer because you want to be able to read the labels.
    If you are going to have the rack up against a wall take a look at the picture and make sure the rear bottle support isn't flush with the outside edge of the side. A bottle placed on the one in the picture will have a bottle overlaping the support by about 30-40mm at the back which is what you want to aim for. If the support is flush with the outside of the side support the bottle will be resting on 19mm of timber with the bottle base touching the wall. If you get a ruler and check the bottom of a wine bottle you will see that only 5mm will be touching the wood and the rest curves away. (ready to slide off and take all the bottles below with it.)
    To demonstrate, get a piece of 19mm pine and hold it flat against a wall. Then get a bottle and rest the base on the pine. I hope I've explained that properly.
    Construction methods depends on what type of workshop you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauphin
    I'm looking to build a modular style wine rack out of Australian pine. Something like this photo:

Has anyone got any plans or suggestions as to where I could find plans for something like this project?
    Have a look here

http://www.ronhazelton.com/html/3_11w_rack.html

Growing old is much better than the alternative!

If you know someone who has one you could make a cardboard template from that and away you go, it would be cheap and you'll only need a jigsaw and a hand saw to make it.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

I reckon you lot have got it all wrong,

He wants a rack for Modular Wine Bottles
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

hi dauphin welcome to the forum.

I gotta ask why so many bottles ? :confused:

You do realise that there is only one good wine bottle and that is an empty 'hic' one 'hic'

btw I don't have a drinking problem I know exactly how MUCH I drink :eek:

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

You'll need two jigs, one to be used with a flush trim bit to reproduce the bottle holders and the other to draw new spacers identle to the others which would be cut out on a saw table.

How easy do you want to go?? 80mm holesaw, 19x160(ish) pine (length to suit). Find centre of 160mm side and mark out 110-120mm spaces... drill out holes along centre of board then rip down the middle on a tablesaw. Perfect bookmatched racks. The ends just look like half housed joints that can be expanded to accomodate your wine collection. Mine doesnt seem to grow very quickly?? :confused:
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

another way is the one I did - use recycled timber to make a frame and old corrugated iron for the bottle supports. You have to use the 'old' stuff as the corrugations need to be quite wide, newer colorbond rubbish has a lot tighter ribbing.

it's different, and the only drawback is having to fill the empty slots.

cheers

Karl.