Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking WC rip fence & the router table

I replaced my router table stand with a WC due to the fact that our equivelent of Bunnings sells box 2 for £29.98. I put together a WC without the top for £70(WC costs £289) from box 2 and spares
    I am now finding that I use the rip fence on the right rather than the left if I was using the saw. It is easier pushing away from you against the rip fence than pulling towards you if placed on the left.
    Any comments from members or our D***********
    Thanks
    barry

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Router Table in Workcenter

Barry,

I tend to use the router table in the work center a fair bit.

The rip fence when on the left hand side works as a fairly good plane sole while a straight bit takes off any peaks on the right hand edge of a sheet being fed through.

This is also one of the few times I use the pressure fingers, to keep the timber pressed against the rip fence. Naturally use them when in public, but find they get in the way a bit.

In all other instances, the fence is better off on the right hand side, as the rotation of the bit pushes the piece against the fence. Means you are not fighting it.

The main reason the rip fence is predominantly used on the left, is to give the width of rip in table saw mode.

Steve

Default Pressure fingers

Thought I had better jump in and clarify the use of pressure fingers.

I notice many beginners lack control of timber while pushing it past the router bit. This seems to be due to a healthy respect for the bit, and being unfamiliar with the movement the bit will cause.

Like training wheels, use the pressure fingers until you are competent without them. Even then, recognise when they are going to help or improve your safety.

Hard to find a balance between the McDonalds "caution contents may be hot" and the other end of the scale.

If in doubt, use em!

Steve

Barry,
    Working with the fence on the right is good practice for if oner day you upgrade to a larger saw. This is because to my knowlege Triton is the only saw table that has the fence as standard on the left of the saw. You have the option and I am assuming that you have fitted the stick on arrows to indicate zero for fitting the fence to the right. Maybe you could order another set for setting the fence at distances greater than 300mm unless you have already done this.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker101
    Barry,
    Working with the fence on the right is good practice for if oner day you upgrade to a larger saw. This is because to my knowlege Triton is the only saw table that has the fence as standard on the left of the saw. You have the option and I am assuming that you have fitted the stick on arrows to indicate zero for fitting the fence to the right. Maybe you could order another set for setting the fence at distances greater than 300mm unless you have already done this.
    Woody
    I am only doing this with the router not the saw. I have a seperate WC for the router.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker101
    This is because to my knowlege Triton is the only saw table that has the fence as standard on the left of the saw.

FWIW the MK3 WC , which IMO is still the better WC , has the fence on the right side of the saw.

Wonder why they changed it?

Peter.

Default Why change?

Sturdee,

I would imagine that the reason for the change was to get a wider rip capacity.

The overhang of the table has to be on the right side of the table to cater for right handed circular saws in the cross cut mode.

One of the 2000's advantages over teh MK3 is it's rip capacity, without the extention table.

On the left, it goes out to 620mm, on the right,....um...er....take 5 points from my team, I forget. It is less than the 620mm though.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    FWIW the MK3 WC , which IMO is still the better WC , has the fence on the right side of the saw. Peter.
    ok, well if we were to cut locating slots for the tabletop locking tabs in the right spot to spin the tabletop around so it hangs off the left side of the base instead of the right , then we would have the option of setting up the wc2000 as a total mirror image of what we do now and we could use the fence on the right of the saw just as easily as we use it on the left now. it just means that the T slots for the crosscut fence we never use cos we never convert to crosscut mode would be at the opposite end of the table. for that matter would it really matter if they put them at both ends too?

Hey!!! ive just invented the ambidexterous triton!!!!!!

Default Finally

Doug,

What a brilliant idea. We now have a solution for the thousands of left handed circular saws that are out there.

I find it interesting that right handers have a hard time getting used to pushing the saw with their left hand, and the few left handed customers I have want it reversed.

Would a left hand saw work if you put the switch box at the rear end and the saw in back to front?

Steve

no need unless im missing something, steve, all it needs is to cut the holes and make everything else so that the saw table top has 180 degree rotational symmetry in the horizontal plane. this should make th ewhole thing totally ambidexterous, so long as the markers for the fence arms are also symetrical.

hmmmm , wonder if triton/gmc will pay royalties on this?????

Its gotta improve sales

Default Sorry Doug

As the center infill strip is not central between the bearing channels, you would also need to reverse the chassis and add a left handed saw. Then it would work, I think!

Steve

P.S. Remember me when the royalties come flooding in!

steve do you understand the meaning of rotational symetry through 180 degrees in the horizontal plane? i bnelieve that will fix what you mentioned so no joy on the sharing of royalties mate, sorry

Default Not a good night for me

Yes Doug,

After your comment about cutting the holes, "and make everything else..."

I stand corrected. Sake is on me. See you after the show.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJapan
    Yes Doug,

After your comment about cutting the holes, "and make everything else..."

I stand corrected. Sake is on me. See you after the show.

Steve
    the other offer still stands if you want a hand for the show, send us 2 return tickets and we can come and help out