Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Need jig for Triton - 22.5 degree cut

Hi all,

OK this one has stumped me.

I have 40 - 45 x 90 workpieces I need to cut at 22.5 degrees.

Yes, I can do it with the Triton Protractor.
    I have to run each piece thru twice to cut the 90mm. Not a problem. But its a very shallow cut and is very dangerous. The accuracy is OK. But alot of fiddeling to get the second cut lined up.

Luckily the first 20 are only a meter long and can be easily pushed thru. However the other 20 are 2.4 meters long and are very cumbersom.

I've tried it with a handheld powersaw but the resultant accuracy is very poor.

Any suggestions on how to build a Triton jig would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer a jig where I didn't have to unclamp, move, then clamp again.

------------------
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    Proud Tritoneer

May Yesterdays Tears Quinch the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 29 September 2001).]
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    May Yesterdays Tears Quench the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Barry;
    As also a owner of a older Triton work center, I have built over a period of a few years little things to assist me using my triton. Made out of aluminium and carefully matched bolt holes, I have studied and looked at how to use my 12 assorted Makita power tools with my triton. I'm quite sure if I can build additions to my power tools you can. One idea i had was to cut long bits of wood but was limited to the abilty to hold with out falling this wood. I found at the local tip old rollers, then made a frame work out od scrap steel and now i can saw wood up to 5 meters long. Depends on space tho. At this stage i have associated all my power tools to suit my Triton. If you stop and think about it mate, any thing is possible.

Good luck Barry

Peter

Lightbulb

Barry

What about using cross cut mode. Attaching a longish fence to the protractor and routing a hole in it then attaching the appropriate stopblock with bolt washer wingnut to allow it to slide.

Just an idea but the 2.4's are going to be a bit though.

Hope this helps??

John
    "Beer is proof that God loves us,
    and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Hi Barry,

I'm not sure from your post whether you want to rip the 90x45's to produce bevelled 22.5 degree edges, or crosscut the ends to 22.5. If you want to rip, maybe think about getting the adjustable bevel guide for your workbench. If you want to crosscut, perhaps buying the sliding extension table is the go - you can set it to different angles for crosscutting.

With regards to the shallow cut you mentioned, I assume this is whilst ripping in tablesaw mode. Don't forget to lower your sawblade so the teeth just protrude from the top of your material. This is safer, and gives you a better cut owing to more teeth in the material during the cut.

Cheers,

Justin.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the responses.
    I was hopeing this would be solved by the time I got back from my holidays.
    Oh, well.

The 45x90 cut is with the 45s top and bottom widths and the 90 is the sides.

The Triton in crosscut mode can't cut a 22.5 degree angle. Its too shallow a cut.
    and I can't fit a 2.4 meter piece in the crosscut mode at 22.5 degrees. Again its too shallow a cut.

For the same reason in ripping mode the work piece doesn't angle enough for the sliding table to be of any use.

I've attempted to use a spacer but I continually have to flip the work piece and spacer back and forth.

So what ever solution we come up with has to be setup for runnig the work piece thru the saw twice (once on each side) since the 9.25" blade only cuts about 60mm of the 90mm needed.

Even for electric compound miters the cut is too shallow.

Recently we had a tour of Bosch who didn't know how to solve this and I think Makita came to one of our meetings and didn't know either.

------------------
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    Proud Tritoneer

May Yesterdays Tears Quinch the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    May Yesterdays Tears Quench the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge