Default Simple silky oak sideboard getting new life

Firs up sorry I don't have pictures of the original piece before sanding but it was a typical brown to black aged piece showing no signs of silky oak. Not a great value piece so no real attempt to bring back using traditional methods. This is about making it attractive enough for someone to want to have it in their home. It's also my first attempt at sing coloured paint to high light the wood grain. The ply board was no even silky oak just an ugly brown to black mess. Not being good at selecting colours I asked SWMBO what to do to highlight the wood grain.

Photo
    1. Frames, and drawer sanded with 120 and then 240 grit and shellac layers added with rub down using 0000 stainless steel wool
    2. Top sanded with 120 grit and shellac layers added with rub down using 0000 stainless steel wool
    3. Handles removed and washed with Sunlight soap, scrubbed with brass brush and then painted with Lacquer for copper and brass (2 coats). I was lucky to find a drawer handle similar as the original was missing.
    4.Nothing inside drawer as I want opinions here and ask did they only use a flat white sort of paint in these areas?
    5. Finally first coat of oil based blue paint. Next coat will have painters masking tape applied and all the trim areas painted properly. I did think about using grain filler but decided against it.
    IMG_5085.jpgIMG_5086.jpgIMG_5087.jpgIMG_5088.jpgIMG_5090.jpgIMG_5089.jpg

All comments greatly appreciated to help me learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Next step ready

Ready for the next painting tomorrow. Really appreciating the electric drive raise and lower work bench as it makes it so much easier to sit and move the piece to my height. Looking for ideas to put something in the middle of the blue.
    IMG_5114.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Really appreciating the electric drive raise and lower work bench as it makes it so much easier to sit and move the piece to my height.
    can't let that go past

Can you post some details including a photo or three
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Sorry for delay but we were away. Stripped side rails and tilt section (frame was broken) and added simple board. Raise ad lower via controller. Wheels are nice and large and can be locked to freewheel or locked to go straight with the controls via pedal lock. Eventually will add holes for dogs in the boards. The battery system means I can raise and lower without mains power connected.
    IMG_5135.jpgIMG_5139.jpgIMG_5141.jpgIMG_5136.jpgIMG_5137.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Blackout.....is there a safety lock to prevent bed/top collapsing if low on power? Great re-purposing idea for a bench.

It's linear actuator technology which for me is far safer than the older hydraulic cylinder supported benches. Basically an electric drive powers your screw drive similar to to you driving your vice. Once you stop driving it then it isn't going to move much because you have all the threaded rod to push through the nut for it to move. When the battery lacks power this bed has a screaming beeper but it still has time to work. When there is now power left it just won't move. They have had to make this very fail safe as they support patients.

I don't load mine anywhere near the rating of the bed (400kg). As I would want to fail the support system I currently use this for putting things at the needed height and easily moving around. I sand and paint the furniture on it. I have got another used as the out table for my table saw when I need it.

If I was to get serious and use it for heavy work then I would add in adjustable legs to take serious weights or impacts and lower the bed onto that. I think I would look at something like outriggers on back hoes or caravans.

My first bed was a hydraulic one and on first trials it was fine but sadly it collapsed with my first proper load trials. I will be going back to it later and look at installing a new hydraulic jack and proper locking supports.

Using an old bed was certainly cheaper and faster than my original plans to build something.

where do you source the beds and how much do they cost?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    where do you source the beds and how much do they cost?
    I have been getting them for local recycle centre for $100 to $150.
    I have had opportunity of bidding for them through government site disposing of hospital goods.
    It's always a risk on the electrics but when I see an obvious problem like the broken tilt frame I was happy to take the risk the electrics worked.