Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom problems!!

We had our bathroom renovation completed nearly 6 months ago and have had numerous problems even since. To begin with the safety switch would go off every time the shower was used, turns out the shower mixer was leaking and the water was falling directly on to a power point in the adjoining room. Okay, so we got that all fixed up and then we started noticing water marks appearing on the timber outside the bathroom door. Called the plumber and tiler back in and they suggested that we just leave it to dry out however, 6 months later the water damage is getting worse and worse. The tile in front of the door has split down the middle and when walking in the first few tiles you can hear the sand/cement base moving under your weight.

The plumber was back today and after my heisitance at cutting another hole in the wall to check out the mixer (safety switch is not going off and the initally hole was left open for several months to ensure there was no leak. Plus he is still yet to pay for the initial plastering work) he thinks its possible that the wastage drain is leaking but is reluctant to lift up the tiles. Instead he wants to silicon all the grout lines in the shower base after last week telling me it was impossible that a few hairline cracks would be sufficient enough to cause that much damage.

The plumber and tiler are good friends and blame my partners brother for the problems as he lay the floor. However the grout cracks are only evident in a direct line from the wastage to the door, i believe caused by the inital leak rather than problems with movement in the floor.

Any suggestions? Should i get a second opinion?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by becd
    Any suggestions? Should i get a second opinion?
    If i were in your shoes, i definately would.
    It may be that they are both covering each others a**e.

Try the Master Builders Association in your state.
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Och.

Rip the hole lot out and get a bathroom firm in to do the lot.

bathroom leaks can wreck houses, its a shame you will need to have every thing done twice.

What type of waterproofing was used? who installed it? where is the warranity?

What kind of floor did your partner's brother lay?

What kind of waterproofing was done to the floor and shower area and who did it?

Grount isn't intended to act as a waterproof barrier. The mortar/sand base below the tiles will get wet. The waterproofing layer below the mortar/sand bed is meant to act as the barrier and the waterproofing membrane is supposed to painted on the floor and extend down into the drainpipe (waste). This means any water that makes it way under the tiles will end up going down the waste (water finds the lowest point due to gravity).

There should also be some kind of waterproof barrier to stop water coming out of the shower area into the bathroom floor area via the mortar/sand base. In my bathroom, my waterproofer glued some PVC 90 degree angle to the floor where the showerscreen would run eventually before puting down the mortar/sand base. The top edge of the PVC angle protruded slightly above the tiles when finished but the showerscreen frame concealed the edge of the PVC once it was installed.

I am not sure if you are aware, but any work carried out by a tradesman over the value of $1000 is required by law, in NSW, to have a contract signed by both parties.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/bu...contracts.html

If your tradesmen have not issued you with a contract as required by law you may have some extra ammunition against them. This law only came in recently so it may not have been applicable when they commenced work. You may need to clarify when it came into effect.

I would be talking to the waterproofer. It sounds like it is more a waterproofing problem than anything else. I believe there is a standard 7 year guarantee required by law for waterproofing. If your tiler did the waterproofing then I would say he may be responsible for your water damage problems.

Patched up water proofing WILL leak again. Get it done properly.

My advice is to get a building inpector to have a look. They can give you a couple of options and then they can tell the tradesmen what is required. This stops the tradies pissing in your pocket. It is money well spent.
    Specializing in O positive timber stains

Thumbs up

Hybrid is mostly right on the waterproofing side but if the membrane is under the tile bed then there is usually no fall to the waste.Also turning membrane into the waste is now illegal (N.S.W).If there is a waterproof membrane and the floor is badly out of level then obviously the water will pool at the lowest point. You could try raking out the grout joints and regrouting with a grout booster then applying a silicone spray such as tile treat over your tiles.Just for the record waterproofing costs less than 1% of the cost of building a house. Leaking bathrooms make up 70% of problems.!!
    Jamster