Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our first attempt at a box - a cutlery box

From tree to cutlery box, it has been quite the journey. In 2003, a friend of mine gave us three logs from her brother's property at Binnaway. These logs travelled with us when we moved from Sydney to Brisbane and we stored them until they were seasoned and dried. The cardboard box our wedding cutlery came in didn't do it any justice, so we decided to mark our second wedding anniversary with the making of this box.

We went to Richard Vaughan's workshop to mill the logs initially (we don't have a bandsaw that big). The hardness of the timber really gave his bandsaw some curry, but we managed to get through the logs. In between one slice, a "creature" flew out of the timber, but before we could identify it, he had swiped it down and squashed it! :eek: We since found out that it was an Eastern Swift moth (see photo), that emerges from the ground at the first rain in April, dries it wings, finds a mate, and lays eggs under the Acacia - then dies! The pupae can live for a number of years, eating the heartwood of acacias (very similar to a witchetty grub). In the bush, you quite often find casings of the pupae, as thick as a thumb. Anyway, these worms had eaten all through the timber in a random pattern. The timber was initially a dark chocolate brown heartwood and yellow sapwood when we first had it milled, but now the colour has changed to show more red in the timber now and a paler sapwood. Figured that the worm holes added some character and the wood was especially cut down for us with a chainsaw, just before the devastating bush fires that wiped out many of the trees from the property.

These photos are of the raw, sanded timber and then photos of the first coat of danish oil. Once we buff off the danish oil, we will then wax it with bees wax. Tom has to do that bit, as I am allergic to bees and rubbing the wax in makes my hands swell! :eek: Tom used raw leather on the sides and front (rather than handles) and the cutlery box locks with ball hinges and brass hinges that were mortised in at the back (you can't see them when the box is closed).

The moth holes were filled in with a clear epoxy resin. The joinery work is tongue and groove for the panels and then finger joints on the sides of the box. We also got ourselves a dovetail jig for our anniversary, but haven't used it yet! Next project....

Cheers
    Dan and Tom

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

Nice work Dan & Tom! Another truly unique piece for your house.
    How did you cut the finger joints?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

The wax really brought it to life in colour - great anniversary present both the project and the jig

Cheers
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Like the box. I'm thinking of trying some red gum, yours looks like Blakelys Red Gum, sounds right for Binaway too. We got friends near there also.

I'm allergic to bees also, but only their sting. I gotta give meself a shot of adrenalin when stung.
    Boring signature time again!

A very nice box. I trust that the lid panel is floating, rather than being glued in place. Otherwise, you may have problems with seasonal wood movement. But then you knew that

Rocker

Fantastic Work Guys. The box looks spectacular. Something to show off in the years to come when the grandkids visit.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Just think on your 50th wedding anniversary you still have memorys of the 2nd anniversary... to look back on the past and reminisce of days gone by!
    Nice work guys.

Beautiful work guys (a bit worried about the seasonal effect on the lid though), I hope however that every anniversary won't require the sacrifice of a native moth!
    Keep up the good work, now get to work on the matching dresser to hold the cutlery box off the floor,
    Fletty
    PS congratultions

Great box guys!
    Cheers

Major Panic

Lovely, you'll admire it every time you pull it out to use the cutlery.

So did you work out what type of acacia the wood is?
    Greatest Movie Quote Ever: "Its good to be the king!"

Something Very Special

Congratulations, you've made yourselves an heirloom. Well done.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Happy anniversary and love the box. Would be a good present for weddings too... my sister is getting married next year...

Corbs
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

Mmmm...beautiful box, and nice to hear the story of the shared construction. Good to have something like that you can do together.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Thanks to all for the feed back.

Andy, I cut the finger joints and T&G on the Durden table saw. I had made up a crosscut sled with a high and rigid (150mm x 50mm) rear fence which gave me the stability I required for the end on cuts. Marked out the fingers, clamped all four sides together and made some very careful cuts. In future I would probably create a specific jig, or use the dovetailing jig.

Rocker, The T&G top has floating tongues of MDF that extend into the sides. The end grain of the top panel I cut at an angle and actually sits into a groove made with a dovetail router bit... I guess you could say the top is a sliding dovetail. I would like to think that should prevent any issues of seasonal change.

I am quite sure that there are no more moths living in the timber. I eventually milled, planed and sanded it down to less than 8mm.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Cheers
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast