Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question ALIGN A RIP Fence

I purchased a Torquata TSF-1 "ALIGN A RIP" fence from Timbecon.
    It is the same fence that comes with the Sherwood MJ-2325 10" Contractors Saw.

My problem is that it did not come with any instructions and I can't work out how the thing is supposed to work (in particular the rear rail).

Timbecon have been slow to respond to my request for some instructions.

Can someone help me with a DIAGRAM of how the end of the fence fits to the rear rail? I want to fit the fence assembly to a table saw that I have built into a bench - ie. fit it to the bench.

I would be very grateful for any help.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I assume it's the same as mine. Pics attached.

The adjustable knob just slides along the support rail. It isn't fixed at any point.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

"Timbecon have been slow to respond to my request for some instructions."

Getouttahere!

Last edited by dazzler; 29th October 2005 at 01:58 PM. Reason: smiley

Hi Gazarm,

If it is the same fence on the MJ2325 then it would the same fence on the MJ2325A which I have.

There are two support rails one at the back and one at the front.

Im happy to scan my manual for you but please advise if the both rails were supplied with the fence.

And this thread

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...highlight=tape

is a stunningly clever and imaginative alternative to that horrible yellow tape that would have been supplied with it.

dazzler

Thumbs up

Thanks guys,

Yes it looks like the same fence........
    There is the rear rail - it is not clear which way is up (see my sketch)
    And the end of the fence - wheel and guide are adjustable???

:confused: :confused:

A scanned copy of some of the manual would be a great help thanks Deems
    [email protected]

mmm why does that pic NOT look anything like the pic that gumby shows which is more of the beisemyer type fence that comes with the 10HB but it does look more the type that comes with the cheeper contractor type saws

The one gumby shows is the one on this machine...

And the type of fence you show in both pics is like this one

note the rounded front fence and the small back rail? now if th... oooooooohhhhhhhh now I see what you are saying

you got THAT table saw fence!! :eek: ... gotcha

what dazzler says

And on reading that linked thread I see gumby retrofitted the beisemyer fence to an contractor saw soooo...

that tells you one thing even he didnt like the original!!

Okay first to try to help
    its very thin ali right? its light in weight right? it overhangs the type of table its made for ergo doesnt bolt through at the right hand end the left will bolt straight to the top line up the holes it should just bolt on (head of bolt throu the slide bit it sits inside the rail [ peice look closely at the pic above you will see what I mean the flat sits at the top the [ peice faces the table top the nut will slide into that [ and go to any bolt hole find each hole at the back and bolt them on

There is a rod that goes through front to back of the fence you can try tightening or loosening that by way of the lock nut at the back... but the smooth face of the back rail is the top and the fence wheels along it... the [ face faces the table back

note it will never do the job you will be happy with if youve gone to the trouble to build a saw table why did you get what is essentially a peice of crap? was it a financial decision? or where you conned? if its financial okay then no worries get the best you can for what you can afford understandable... if you were told "this is the best" or "this will do the job" then sadly mate you were conned

One suggestion if I may? get onto them or better yet one of the others and see if you can get the beisemeyer one you will NOT be unhappy!

And how do I know? I got one of those saw/fence units awhile ago and never ever got a good staight acurate cut with that fence... when I upgraded they [the same mob you went to] sent me not one but TWO wrong fences for my 10HB both that sort... light ali... then the right one finally arrived and mate the difference is AMAZING truely after I bunged on the one that gumby shows to my old contractors saw {same as the one above} and once set it up right its cut straight as a die every time!... If I didnt have the incra on the 10HB the beisemyer would be on it and the other would never be used! whereas now I can use both

Thats not meant to be braggin or anything of the sort just by way of explaining my words ala "that fence is crap"... Ive now got three of those and mate I wouldnt give them away!! you will never be happy with any of them and to my mind if youve gone to the amazing effort to make your own table saw then you dont want a crap fence!!

Hope this helps somehow

Cheers

oh edited to add you can buy the white tape and just chuck the yellow out the door daz... dont know how I did it {see above} but I seemed to have had a few extra table saw tapes when it was all over and from the pics I was sent the yellow one was meant to be on the fence I didnt like it {something to do with me eyes an a thing called colorblindness I guess} so I checked out the others and now have a lovely white one... aaaaah much bedda! and I didnt have to wreck a tape measure to do it... cheep little hussys that they are when you need one theres never enough of them around! sorta like clamps eh

mmmm after saying all this and looking at the rain phissing down outside I think I will wander up and and see what I can find for you if nothing else I can get some shots of the different setups eh! I will try for some closeups of holding it in place that may help?
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Thanks for the help

That is definitely the exact same fence assembly on the saw in your (2nd) photo
    From looking at that, I think I can see how it works - it appears that it just sits on the rail and grabs hold when you lock it in position
    See my new drawing......

Looks like I just install the rail in a lower position to allow for the wheel and catch assembly so that the fence stays flat on the table

I will give it a go - thanks again

Your right mate!! hang on a tic as Im uploading some pics that will make it clearer still
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Okay mate heres the three pics that should make it clear how it goes together

first the rail how it hangs as you rightly deducted the [ channel facing the saw thats where your bolt or screw will go {remember this rail is just sitting ontop of the other one so not in the right place on the saw it needs to be down where the other one is)

second the locking nut at the rear of the fence adjusting this MIGHT help... even having a wood machinist mate check this out did not help (his advice? get another fence)

third the setup of the fence to rail

as you again rightly deducted the wheel rolls along the rail while the weird shape attaches and pushes up and onto the rear rail... once you pull the handle down to set the fence this locks the rear of the fence into place

Hope its helped mate

But I cant stress enough... it is a bloody peice of utter crap! and mate you wont be happy with it... You BUILT a saw table for krysts sake and not having seen it yet Id say you went to a shyteload of trouble to make it a good one geezus I would!!... so trash that thing and get a bloody good fence!!! You wont look back and you will be please happy and really proud of what you have created

If you cant get the one in the fifth pic (ala Incra)... and I strongly recommend you try

then get one of the beisemyer type as in the fourth pic

Yes I know theyre ruddy expensive but mate look at what youve already created!!! mmm maybe you cant afford either just now? okay no worries I can sure understand that... but start puttin a little away to buy either one cause believe me you will get seriously phissed of with that thing real quick

oooh and where are your pics gaz? mmmmm Id really like to have a gander at what youve created

Sorry for the late reply, if your still having trouble have a go at reading the installion instructions for the fence (these came with the with a table saw with the same fence).

The scan quality aint fantastic let me know if you need anything cleared up.

Bah files too large

Pm me your email address if you like and I will get the scannded doco to you that way.

Cheers

Thaks guys,

I think we are on the right track - just need to find a couple of hours to give it a try..........I will definitely post photos if it works - (if it don't-I won't)

Deems, my email is [email protected] - would appreciate the instructions as well seeing you went to the trouble to scan them for me

Thanks again - I think I will be okay with the fence, however I will be keeping your advice in mind Shane - let you know after I have made a few cupboard doors!!