Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Lathes

Default Jet Lathes

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at the Jet lathes. In particular model JWL-1442 and JWL-1642.
    Does anyone have one of these lathes?
    Please let me know what you think of them.
    Any problems?
    Would you recommend them?
    Any real benefits in going for the electronic lathe?
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

Regards
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've got a Jet1442 and have no regrets. Easy locking cams on the headstock, rest and tailstock. Easy speed changes, although I would have preferred if I could get lower speeds for thread cutting.

I needed the pivoting head because of lack of room around my lathe. The only thing I have to be careful of is ensuring when I do pivot the head, when I bring it back, to line up the centre with the tail stock. Although it locks in, there is some play (around 2mm), but the cam locks ensure you can get it exact. I assume most pivoting head lathes would have similar problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Neil

Sasha

I have the 2 HP Jet 1642 Lathe, 220 V version. I bought it a few months ago and so far I like it a lot. I do furniture repair, so it's primarily used for spindle turning work. The documentation says it will turn 42", but that's a little generous, replace the live center with a shorter one and then 'maybe'. I do like the EVSR, variable speed is nice and reversible is a benefit. You can really fine-tune the speed you're turning at when spinning larger pieces of wood. It is solid and it is heavy [I think around 500 pounds], plan on help disassembling and moving it into your shop from the crate (crate was a little light but it arrived in good shape - no damage). Having a good method of indexing would have been nice, but I do have other options available.

The led display is on when the unit is plugged in, so I unplug it when not in use

I've added a couple of additions to it: 1) 20" bed extension [you can get a bigger one that's about 57" long with another leg under it] 2) Sorby Stebcenter in place of the spur center in the headstock (so far I like it) 3) Vega 36" duplicator (that and reverse sanding is where the reversible direction part can be a big deal for you) and 4) a storage system for my chisels. My metal lathe is on a roller platform I store under this one, so I made a shelf that fits below the bed (sits on some ears in the leg castings). Below that, I put some drawers I can store my chisels in. Lathe chips do collect on the shelf but it's working for now. The 'safety' shield over the turning is a nuisance, that will probably come off and go onto the shelf very soon.

Would I buy it again - yes unless I happened to find a bigger, better lathe for the same price.

Hope that helps

Paul

I had the pleasure to turn on a Jet 1642 and I loved it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Of course it does not have a “turning head” but that is no problem as you can push the headstock to the end of the support and, with the help of an external tool support you hardly have any limit to the size of the piece you want to turn. (I turned a piece which was 22 inch diameter 5 inch thick and the lathe was very stable).<o></o>

Electronic speed variation were precise, the locking of the counter point is easy and requires no effort.<o></o>

It is a real good lathe.<o></o>

Now! Give a thought to the Vicmarc 175. Finally that is what I bought and do not regret my choice. (and I am in Italy, which means, far away from the producer who sits in Australia)
    http://www.la-truciolara.com/
    La Truciolara is the workshop where I do my shavings.

Sasha (Alex?)

I bought a 1642 @ the WWW show in Melbourne recently and I am rapt in it. I was tossing up between a 1442 or a Nova 3000, however after seeing them side by side I thought the Jet was a better engineered machine (this is only my opinion, if you want to send me a PM I will elaborate further). Unfortunately for my bank balance there was a 1642 also on display and after a short demo I was sold. If you can afford the extra dollars go for the 1642 the infinite speed range does come in handy when turning out of balance pieces as you can do minor adjustments to the speed to stop any vibration.

Good luck with whichever lathe you choose

Cheers
    GJ
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 4th November 2005 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Thank you all, for your thoughts.
    Its a shame that the Jet 1642 headstock does not pivot.
    How important is it to have a pivoting headstock?

Of course it does not have a “turning head” but that is no problem as you can push the headstock to the end of the support and, with the help of an external tool support you hardly have any limit to the size of the piece you want to turn. (I turned a piece which was 22 inch diameter 5 inch thick and the lathe was very stable).<o></o>

Does the lathe come with an external tool rest?
    Or do you need to make something up yourself?
    Will it attach to the lathe?
    Thanks again for any help.

Regards
    Alex

Sasha/Alex

The 1642 headstock does in fact rotate (a full 360 degrees) and also slides to the end of the bed, the best of both worlds. It comes with an extension so you can do outboard turning.

Full specs at this site.
    http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...tail&iid=11716

Cheers
    GJ

Thanks GJ

Its surprising that when you read the specs it only says that the headstock slides. The 1442 specs say that it rotates 360 degrees.
    It must be an error then.
    If your 1642 rotates then I will believe you.
    Has it always rotated or is this a new addition to the 1642?

Regards
    Alex

Alex

Sorry, I misread your post you are right the 1642 does not rotate. I'm thinking of making an adaptor plate so that I can get mine to rotate.

Once again, sorry for the misinformation.

Cheers
    GJ

I was dead keen on buying a 1642 at the Canberra show, but no-one had them available. I talked myself up to the DVR3000 and on the swivel head v's sliding head, for my situation the swivel head is better for two reasons.

One is space, where I have my lathe I don't have the room at the end to do outboard turning, so sliding the head to the end wasn't going to be an option unless I moved the lathe to a different position.

The other is with a swivel head there isn't the necessaity to have an outboard turning rig depending on how big the item is you are working on. I was turning some campher laurel on the weekend, just a small bowl, but it was very nice to turn the head 45 degrees to the bed when I was hollowing and not have to lean over the bed. This was using the stock toolrest.

Because of the swivel head I am very very pleased with the DVR.

Thanks guys.
    I looked again at the lathes. What I didn't notice before was the positioning of the motor. It actually points into the lathe and is pretty close to in line with the headstock. While other lathes usually have the motor pointing away and the headstock appears quite clear.
    Has anyone noticed whether the motor on the Jet 1442 gets in the way with your turning?

You can download the Jet manuals in pdf format for a number of their models at http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...s&vid=1&CID=81

I know the motor on the 1642 extends away from the left side of the headstock. Unfortunately I don't know about the 1442.

Paul

Thanks Paul.
    Does your headstock on the 1642 rotate?
    I'm wondering whether that feature is really necessary.
    What would the benefits be?

Alex

Alex, you need to figure out what your preferred turning projects will be.

If they include bowls and other hollow forms, a swivel head makes life easier - either that or a short bed you can lean over from the end.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    Does your headstock on the 1642 rotate?
    I'm wondering whether that feature is really necessary.
    What would the benefits be?

Alex

Alex

The headstock on the 1642 does not rotate. You can slide it down to the end of the bed and turn off the end if that's something you want to do. I only turn spindles, legs etc for furniture so for me at least, turning would be a disadvantage. Might be useful if you turn bowls, but not for me. Actually, a while back I saw a string on a forum about someone adding an external toolrest off the legs that supposedly worked on both Jet and PM lathes. I don't remember where I saw it, so I can't point you in the right direction on that one at this time.

I've attached a picture of mine. I had to do a couple of things a little unconventional. I turned the bed end-for-end so I could get around the bed extension (space problems in the shop). I have a dummy leg I slip under the bed extension when I have the head all the way out, so I don't have to worry about it being putting too much pressure on the joint (better safe than sorry). No indication of problems, just want to keep everything in good shape.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast