Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Organol Hard Burnishing Oil on Jarrah burl

I recently finished a piece of Jarrah burl with Organol Hard Burninshig Oil. I followed the instrucitons carfully and finished off by burnishing with a lambswool cloth to produce a nice sheen finish. Now a week later the finish is going off and reverting to the state before the burnishing. Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hey wolfs,

I am not sure but have used the same finish on two pieces I built so will watch and see what transpires here.

Cheers,

Buz

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Some possibilities:
    Wood was not dry enough
    Not fine enough grit on final sanding
    Try finishing again with final grit and see if it holds.
    I use shellawax now with a buff (on Festool Rotex in rotary mode) to achieve the same finish in much less time with a lot less effort.
    A drill with a buffing wheel should achieve the same result using a swansdown mop.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Wolfs, do a search on threads discussing finishing with organoil. There's been a lot of discussion / debate about "problems" with organoil finishes. You think you're going to get this nice satin finish which shows off the beautiful wood grain (like a Jarrah Burl!). Then you end up with a flat dead look. That's why I shifted across to lacquer. Or sometimes Danish oils or Oil/Poly mixes like Feast Watson Floorseal. I know people who persevere with the organoils, but it means days / weeks of slog before you end up getting anywhere near the finish you're chasing (but still not as nice as a 40 gloss lacquer, or French Polish, or oil/poly type Danish, or Ubeaut EEE Ultrashine, etc etc). Life is too short for organoils, IMHO.

Richard

Organoil needs to go down to about 2000 grit, I tend to put the article away for a while and bring it out again at the stage that you are talking about and run over it again with the 2000 dry. After a while it stops reverting to the flat look and maintains its shine.

While it does take effort pure oil finishes are able to do things that no lacquer/poly type mix can ever hope to.

Thanks for the infomation guys. I will try dry sanding with 2000 grit as suggested by PAH1.