Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Concrete/Screed/Polish

Hi gents,

I'm in the throws of completing a kitchen reno and lastly the floor. Currently I have a concrete slab in the kitchen area with a wooden floor 12-15mm higher than the slab in the adjoining (open plan) family/dining area. Rather than polish the slab and have this nasty step up onto the wooden floor I want to screed a layer of concrete to produce a Terrazzo effect floor. The current slab has been exposed for nearly a year and has had all the traffic and wear associated with a kitchen which includes spilled meals/oil/drinks etc. Rather than cut back the slab before laying a 12-15mm screed of concrete is there a chemical I could use to provide a suitable level of cleanliness for the thin layer of concrete to bond to. I'm aware that the oils etc in the slab may affect the screed of concrete.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

A 12-15mm layer of concrete.... Good luck with that one. Can't see it standing the test of time. 40mm is the absolute min for any decent topping to withhold. But if you do go ahead with this then maybe a scabble of the existing floor and a mixture of bondcrete and water as a prime, let it dry. Then moments before the pour, a repeat of the same mix so it is wet when placing the new crete. There is a product called "Barra Emulsion". Barra is the brand.
    What about tiles. Alot safer then a 12-15mm topping.

Neil

Something from this company will do it.

For example K11 can be applied from 2 to 8mm or with a 7mm aggregate to a maximum of 20mm.

It's not recommended as a finished floor though, you'd want something over it, even if it was only epoxy. I doubt you could polish it. I'd consider tiles too.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Gents,

Thank you for your valuable replies which are hard to ignore when one implies cementer and the other is a long time user of these forums.

I was so keen on a polished concrete floor but following your comments it makes sense to think of something else.

Sincere appreciation for your help.

Regards

Mark