Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Roof Racks - Any suggestions?

Since deciding to drive to Brisbane and share Christmas with my darling daughter, she has gone berserk on EBay and after filling the boot of the commodore, she has just bought a Hills swing set (disassembled fortunately) which may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I can fit it in the car but the top beam runs from the back of the boot to within 20cm or so of the radio. I was happy enough to drive across a couple of suburbs like that, but the thought of 1,000km or so doesn't appeal.

So, I started looking at roof racks suitable for my 'gutter free' car and after being gobsmacked by the price I've come to accept that it makes sense to get a decent set and that they'll be handy for carrying lots of other things (like timber etc.,)

The ones I like are Rak. These racks appear to have lots of good features and are competitive price wise. The biggest downside is that they aren't sold through retailers which means I could be buying a pig in a poke. The stuff I've seen on their website is very professional and I'm impressed enough to perhaps give it a punt.

I'm hoping that someone out there can give me the good oil (or the bad oil for that matter) on these racks.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I just got Rhino racks. Pretty much the same as those in the link.

They were about that price from a Roof Rack supplier/installer.

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I bought mine from a mob in Artarmon.

Rhino racks are the go. They're high quality brackets attached to standard Unistrut mouldings, and they're very strong. Oh, and they're Oz made.
    Ask any tradie what he uses.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Wot they said, plenty of tradies use the Rhino racks.

Cheers.................Sean, great rack!

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks for the advice. When I checked their site, the Rhino racks that are suitable for my car are a little dearer than the Rak version ($299 v $279) which is not a major issue as there will be a delivery fee for the Rak version. However, Rhino are rated for 50kg whereas Rak claim 100kg (or more accurately, they state that the limit is more likely to be the strength of the vehicle itself rather than the racks). They also offer a 14 day no questions asked refund.

So while I appreciate everyone's input, I'm really strongly tempted to give them a go. I feel a bit like the character in My Fair Lady who "listens very nicely, then goes out and does precisely what they want."

Anyhoo, I'll let you know how it all goes.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by doublejay
    Thanks for the advice. When I checked their site, the Rhino racks that are suitable for my car are a little dearer than the Rak version ($299 v $279) which is not a major issue as there will be a delivery fee for the Rak version. However, Rhino are rated for 50kg whereas Rak claim 100kg (or more accurately, they state that the limit is more likely to be the strength of the vehicle itself rather than the racks). They also offer a 14 day no questions asked refund.
    On the topic of strength, be aware that the car itself is probably rated at no more than 50kg per mounting point, which would be why Rhino claim that rating. My rhinos are rated at 80kg per bar and I've had a LOT more than that up there. Either way, have fun.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Have a look at ARB and see what they have on offer.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.