Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Using a spreadsheet to calculate the amount of timber required for a project

Probably the more computer-savvy amongst us have thought of this long ago; but I have found it worthwhile to set up a spreadsheet which calculates the amount of timber required for a project and its cost. If you make up a spreadsheet which has five columns, for the part name, the number of that part, the thickness, the width, and the length, you can then put a formula in the sixth column to calculate the volume in cubic mm, by multiplying the values in columns 2-5 together. You can then put another formula at the bottom of the sixth column to sum the volumes and divide them by 1 billion to find the volume in cubic metres. You can enter the price per cubic metre of the timber used in another cell and use it to calculate the cost of the timber for the project.

Rocker

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Having done some pretty serious spreadshed sheet applications, this would seem pretty easy Rocker. It stumps me though why you'd want the cubic mm result, why not go straight to M³ with a drop down menu to set the price per M³. :confused:
    Cheers

Major Panic

I find it more practical to buy a pack of timber when its cheap. Never know what the next lot of timber will be, but scrounging is the name of the game.
    My last pack was about 3/4 cube of dry redgum for $130.
    (plus about $60 petrol to go pick it up)
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic
    Having done some pretty serious spreadshed sheet applications, this would seem pretty easy Rocker. It stumps me though why you'd want the cubic mm result, why not go straight to M³ with a drop down menu to set the price per M³. :confused:
    Major,

You are right of course. I just don't know why I haven't done this ages ago. By the way, can you do drop-down menus in the Microsoft Works spreadsheet?

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Major,

You are right of course. I just don't know why I haven't done this ages ago. By the way, can you do drop-down menus in the Microsoft Works spreadsheet?

Rocker
    Rocker, you could
    1. Use Data/Validation and use List to create a simple combo box within a cell
    2. From the Forms tool bar create a combo box but you'd need to set it's properties to load data onto the sheet
    3. Various other solutions
    Cheers - Phil
    Fantastic cheese Grommit!!