Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default good qualite chisels

Hi guys i am looking to buy a good set of chisels. Somthing that will last a life time. that sort of qualite eney suggestions. In poticular bevel edge Can you please give a make and where to bye thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi kats1719,

Australian Wood Review did an article on chisels in Issue 44, September 2004. They reviewed 12 different chisels, nine western and three Japanese. Western types reviewed were Stanley, Record-Marples, Pfeil, Sorby (x3 - Gilt Edge, Boxwood Handle and Paring), Irwin-Marples, Kirschen Two Cherries and Stubai. The Japanese chisels reviewed were Iyoroi, Fujihiro and an ebony handled Japanese chisel from Carbatec. Lie-Nielsen chisels were not included in the initial review because they weren't yet available at that time. However, a follow-up article reviewing Lie-Nielsen chisels was included in Issue 45 of Australian Wood Review in December 2004. The Lie-Nielsen chisels were subjected to the same tests as the chisels in the initial article so that comparisons of performance could be made. The reviewer in the case of both articles was Robert Howard.

The first article, in Issue 44, reported that testing of the chisels led to the emergence of three broad groupings. At the bottom end where Pfeil and Record-Marples. In the middle were the other Western style chisels: Sorby, Stanley, Irwin-Marples, Kirschen and Stubai. And at the top were the Japanese chisels. In terms of value for money the Stubai was nominated by Robert Howard as the Western chisel of choice and the Iyoroi as its Japanese counterpart. If cost was not a consideration then the Stubai was still nominated as the Western chisel of choice but in terms of Japanese chisels this time the Fujihiro was chosen. Finally, Robert Howard stated that if cost was not a consideration and he could only have one of the sets of chisels reviewed then he would choose the Fujihiro.

The review of Lie-Nielsen chisels, in Issue 45, found that the Lie-Nielsen chisels outperformed all of the chisels included in the earlier review. Robert Howard summed up the results by making the following statement.

"They are expensive, but I for one will willingly pay the price for the sheer pleasure of owning and using them. They are that good."

The Lie-Nielsen chisels are available from Lie-Nielsen Australia or MIK International. Stubai chisels are available from MIK International or The Wood Works Book and Tool Co. The Iyoroi chisels are availalbe from Carbatec. The magazine article states that the Fujihiro chisels were from Taka Nishiura??? I'm not sure who or where Taka Nishiura is so I did a search on the web and could only come up with overseas suppliers of the Fujihiro chisels such as Hida Tools.

The chisels I use myself are an old Sandvik and a few old Stanley's. One day though I would love to own a set of Lie-Nielsen's.

Regards,
    Mirboo.

Pretty much covered by Mirboo. I have a set of 8 Wooden handled Stubai and am very pleased with them.

Thanks for the great report Mirboo gives me somthing to think about

By reputation (since I do not have personal experience in using them), the LN and Barr chisels stand out for Western chisels. The Barr are sort-of Japanese-ish as well since their maker trained under a Japanese blade maker, and the chisels are laminated steels.

As far as my own bevel edged users go, I use Japanese and vintage Western (American Witherby and Swedish Berg) chisels. But one needs to be a collector at heart for the latter, although I suspect that the Witherbys are as durable as the A2 LN.

What I am saying is that you can put together chisels for a lifetime from the better vintage chisels on the secondhand market, but if you do not want to go down this road explore the LN and Barr. Either way you will have a super product.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Kats,

For what it's worth as I'm still in a learning phase (and ever will be, methinks!), I have a nice set of Sorby bevel edged chisels and a set of (5) Lie Nielsens. The LNs are my chisel of choice for fine work: they take and hold a superb edge, are just wonderful to hold and use. They bring (and I mean this quite seriously) joy from their use.

Added to that is the simple fact that they are finished to a mirror polish for the whole of the steel. Sure, you can do that yourself with any chisel, but it's a lot of work (I know, I've done it with my Sorbys!).

At around AU$100 each, yes they are expensive, but I know that they will outlive me...

The Hirsch/Two Cherries seem to have all but disappeared from peoples reckoning now, where a year ago, they were the must have in quality western chisels. Why is it so?
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

The Hirsch/Two Cherries seem to have all but disappeared from peoples reckoning now, where a year ago, they were the must have in quality western chisels. Why is it so?
    They remain good chisels - well, their steel is excellent. BUT they insist on polishing them, which looks good but rounds the edges. All this means added work in flattening the backs. You can get unpolished versions, and these would remain excellent purchases. Cheaper than the polished variety as well!

I think Craftsman Studio sell them: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/index.htm

Regards from Perth

Derek

http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merch...gory_Code=CMCS

Link to Barr chisels,worthy of a look pricey but then all quality tools are!!

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Default L-N Chisels

Auld Bassoon.

Check the L-N website.

The chisels are $ 79.00 ea a lot less than your "quoted" $100.00.

if around 40 to 50 bucks was the limit per chisel what would you chiselers out there suggest? i to want to upgrade but so far 70 to 100 bucks per chisel seems recomended here:confused:

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I think i will look at the LN chisles it is a bit more than i wanted to pay but if the quality it there i dont mind

Kats,

Look here - http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L!5001501.htm

Two Cherries were considered the benchmark in recent times and the prices are not exhorbitant like the LN's (you can buy a 6pc set for what you get two LN's for)

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

I have Stanley bevel and firmer, Robert Sorby bevel, LN bevel, LN mortise, a Barr 1" bevel, some old Henry Taylor, assorted old chisels - Titans etc.

What do I use?

Depends what I am doing. The Stanleys don't have the balance or good edges but they are used for risky (potential nails and inexperinced mates) chiselling.

The Robert Sorbys are great chisels but are heftier and heavier than the LN's so they are used where a bit of encouragement is needed.

The LN's are excellent for fine work like cutting dovetails and other delicate work. They are light and perfectly balanced and hold their edge very well. You can use them all day without tiring and only the occasional hone.

The Barr. This is a sturdy, well balanced chisel that holds it's edge as good as the LN's. I reckon you could whack this chisel with a sledge hammer and all it would do is cut deeper than if you had just tapped it with a mallet.

Horses for courses, Derek's suggestion of buying good old chisels and restoring them is a great option.

Dan's suggestion of the Two Cherries and Brother Termite's recommendation of the Stubai are also great suggestions as both these brands are worth buying.

The best chisel of all though is a sharp one so whatever you decode upon, make sure you do it justice by purchasing a good shapening system whether it be a machine or stones and then learn how to sharpen them properly.

Good Luck.
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    Kats,

Look here - http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L!5001501.htm

Two Cherries were considered the benchmark in recent times and the prices are not exhorbitant like the LN's (you can buy a 6pc set for what you get two LN's for)

Dan
    thanx dan. just what i was looking for. will order the special set of 6 today

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast