Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Tiling Question

Default Tiling Question

Not woodworking but I know you fellows and girls know way more than just wood!

I am having a new house built and want to tile the living areas. It is approx 115 square metres. Tiles we've chosen are about $4000. Not sure how much it will be to get a tiler in. I heard a rumour of maybe another $25 a square metre for laying. I am wondering whether this is something my husband and I could tackle ourselves. I have tiled kitchen splashbacks before and we have built a couple of large decks together so we are not complete beginners but definately not professionals. What do you all think? Leave it to the professionals or do it ourselves?

Thanks for any advice.
    -mrsxtro.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Mrsxtro.

I undertook a similar job that was a little over 160m2. We then had 4 dogs so dog hair was a problem and we couldnt have all carpet, just the odd small square piece.

We let our new home 'stand' for about 12+ months before we decided to tile, so I guess if there was to be any slight movement in the slab it wouldnt crack our tiles, also gave us time to save up and make choices.

The main thing is starting out exactly square. The bloke from whom we bought the tiles delivered them with his son (a tiler) and they told me where to start, how to get dead square to begin and luckily there was only one room out of square. We chose to stagger the joints to help hide any discrepancy (that didnt arise).

Be prepared to spend an awful long time on your knees (knee pads) and take your time, keep checking as you will be looking at any stuff-ups for a very long time. Use a top quality flexible adhesive propper depth notched trowel and dont skimp on adhesive.

I dont know where you are but Beaumont tiles did put out a 'how to' tiling booklet that would possibly be helpful.
    Good luck
    Jack

Default my humble opinion

Im not stearing you away from tackling this job, more power to the homeowner who doesnt hire anyone for anything, but if the tiles are $4000 and I had any doubt in my abillity id have it done by a professional who was insured, as my homeowners surelly wouldnt cover any problems 10 years from now , as the tile warranty prolly would depending on the installation .

Sorry to be negative, and yes id do it myself.... screw them , but Im just thinking of money down the line.

id want the feeling of I DID IT , not I payed for it..... but the insurers dont give a chit about your self pride. ..... in their mind you did it wront no matter what you did.

Finding a good tiler for $25m2, good luck.

I would suggest closer to $45m2.

Who ever you buy the tiles and or adhesives from they usually will provide some great advice.

Before attempting to do 115m2, try doing a smaller separate area.

You will get a much better understanding of what is involved.

If I were doing such a task I would want good cutting tools, might even consider hiring a power tile saw from bunnings, making many of the cuts on one day.

Where to start the tiling makes a difference.

Good Luck

Pulpo

As someone who did our bathroom, ensuite, splashback etc on no experience, here's my 2 cents.

It isn't a difficult job, provided you totally understand about setting out square (there are many factsheets on the web). Also make sure that your floor is absolutely flat and clean to start with, and that all the products (floor material, tile adhesive etc) are compatible. Read ALL the fine print on the back of the cans.

Tile adhesive is disgustingly messy for a beginner - be prepared to clean everything!

What about getting a tiling lesson from a friendly recommended tiler? 115m2 is a lot to stuff up. And good tips from an expert are always good to know.

Good luck,
    Justine

I agree ... it isn't difficult, start in an area, which is least obvious because you do get better as you go. But for such a large area it should be fairly mundane. Small areas like bathrooms are more painful because of the large amount of cutting and fitting tiles.

If you have the time why not try, worst case is you have to get someone in to complete it.

You can usually find weekend DIY courses on tiling at your closest TAFE as well, Ive seen them for a couple of hundred $ for the weekend. Could be worth a look
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.