Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Triton Rotary Tool Kit

Has anyone seen the new Triton Rotary Tool Kit? The one that looks like the Dremel, I was looking at it the other day for a bit over $120 until I ntoiced the Ozito Rotary Tool Kit with more accessories in the kit. The guy at Bunnings said that it was just the same with a better warranty. I ended up buying the Ozito for $49 - well under half the price of the Triton. Please don't get me wrong, Triton has brought out some nice products in the past but this is one time when a cheaper version looks to be just as good - if all else fails I have only spend $49 and for that price I will have learnt how to use it so if I end up with the Triton I will know how to use it with the Ozito bits as extras to suit.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Just George
    Has anyone seen the new Triton Rotary Tool Kit? The one that looks like the Dremel, I was looking at it the other day for a bit over $120 until I ntoiced the Ozito Rotary Tool Kit with more accessories in the kit. The guy at Bunnings said that it was just the same with a better warranty. I ended up buying the Ozito for $49 - well under half the price of the Triton. Please don't get me wrong, Triton has brought out some nice products in the past but this is one time when a cheaper version looks to be just as good - if all else fails I have only spend $49 and for that price I will have learnt how to use it so if I end up with the Triton I will know how to use it with the Ozito bits as extras to suit.
    We had one at our last Triton club meeting as a prize for the end of year competition. Looked nice but I didn't win it unfortunately. I wouldn't mind having a bet that it's a lot different to the Ozito and that the guy at Bunnings had no idea what he was talking about. Knowing the guys at Triton, it's highly unlikely to be just the same with a different badge.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    We had one at our last Triton club meeting as a prize for the end of year competition. Looked nice but I didn't win it unfortunately. I wouldn't mind having a bet that it's a lot different to the Ozito and that the guy at Bunnings had no idea what he was talking about. Knowing the guys at Triton, it's highly unlikely to be just the same with a different badge.
    What's that old saying? Money talks, BS walks.... The guys at Bunnings have a lot of tools to sell and there is no way they can know everything about everything but they do sometimes spin a pile of BS. It pays to know what you want when you go in - ie. do your research....

Quote Originally Posted by Just George
    What's that old saying? Money talks, BS walks.... The guys at Bunnings have a lot of tools to sell and there is no way they can know everything about everything but they do sometimes spin a pile of BS. It pays to know what you want when you go in - ie. do your research....
    I've been hearing nothing but BS from those guys recently- I now actively avoid asking for advice, because they have shown time and time again they are very willing to make something up that makes them sound knowledgable rather than just say that "they don't know".

As to the Ozito vs Triton- they may look the same, but which one is rated to last longer than 60 minutes operating time (MTBF)?

If you are only intending to use it occasionally for small jobs, then the cheap one may do you, and save you some dollars. Just don't expect it to last the distance if you give it a lot of work to do.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I will be able to learn the finer points of working with a Rotary Tool, my budget is limited at the moment. Once I have mastered it and if it lets me down I will upgrade it to something better and I will still have the Bits from the cheaper one to fit a newer more expensive tool.

I actually have the ozito version, cost $29 when they first came out. I've given it a fairly good workout too and its still going strong. im not saying that its got the same insides as the triton but i held the two of them together in bunnies the other day and the cases are almost identical cept ones orange and the others grey, and the weight seemed about the same. the triton has a right angel drive and a bevel cutter that the ozito dont have and dont forget teh replacement warranty. even if i was to be looking for one now that the triton is out. i couldnt justify the price difference to get the triton

Default Buy A Dremel Instead

Why buy the Triton Rotary tool with only 12months warranty when you can buy the tried and tested DREMEL 395VG with Flex shaft for an extra $6 plus a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.

Buy the DREMEL not the orange GMC

Haven't these things come down in price...I think I paid $199 for a Dremel kit over 10yrs ago! :eek:
    Still going strong though, and I made an add-on pistol grip so it handles like a real drill. Combined with a screw-on chuck and a set of miniture drill bits (1/16" seems thick!!) its a wonderful handy tool.

Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Default My POS Dremel...

...only lasted thirty-four years. It started showing signs of wear last year, right after I bought a shiny new one, just in case. That little motor tool saw me through high school, two model railroads, three cylinder head modification jobs, and an otherwise hard life as a regular user. It was my first power tool, and my first 'name brand' tool. Too bad about the durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac
    Haven't these things come down in price...I think I paid $199 for a Dremel kit over 10yrs ago! :eek:
    Still going strong though, and I made an add-on pistol grip so it handles like a real drill. Combined with a screw-on chuck and a set of miniture drill bits (1/16" seems thick!!) its a wonderful handy tool.

Cheers
    I think mine was around $120 a couple of years ago, with a box full of "this's and that's". Sine bought a little attachment that lets me use the Dremel as a mini plunge router, and another that acts as a mini circular saw.

Great for small/fine work, and whines along very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryq
    ...only lasted thirty-four years. It started showing signs of wear last year, right after I bought a shiny new one, just in case. That little motor tool saw me through high school, two model railroads, three cylinder head modification jobs, and an otherwise hard life as a regular user. It was my first power tool, and my first 'name brand' tool. Too bad about the durability.
    Hi Greg,

You know, I'd be tempted to write to them, and explain that you're disappointed that this "prestige" tool has expired after 34 years....

They might just want to use it in their ads - and give you a freebie. Unless, of course, the expected MTBF is 50+ years

Don't aways believe that the tools from one rotary tool will fit another. Had an old Arlec unit which finally gave up so all the little tool bits I thought would be good for the Super Cheap Auto unit that I bought. OK it's only $49 but I seems to have plenty of torque for what it is, but they don't provide a full range of collets sizes so only the tools provided or dremel tools will fit. Want to use a drill in it ? - too bad the collet doesn't take that size.

Maybe I'll still look at a Dremel or Triton unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo999
    Why buy the Triton Rotary tool with only 12months warranty when you can buy the tried and tested DREMEL 395VG with Flex shaft for an extra $6 plus a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.

Buy the DREMEL not the orange GMC
    Be very interested in how they compare. Once, long ago, Triton's policy was not to release a power tool unless they could offer some real innovations to its design. Wonder if that still holds true, in the comparison between Dremel & Triton? Assuming that both kits contain the same accessories, price is obviously not one of the deciding factors.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Once long long ago in a galaxy far far away:

Woolworths fuel pricing policy was to match the lowest price competitor within a 2 km range then offer the 2 or 4 cent discount with a docket. Think that this still happens - fat chance.

A company's marketing policy only lasts as long as a change in pricing from their nearest competitor or a change in company structure - Bye Bye George & Hills, Hello GMC

Quote Originally Posted by Markw
    Once long long ago in a galaxy far far away:

Woolworths fuel pricing policy was to match the lowest price competitor within a 2 km range then offer the 2 or 4 cent discount with a docket. Think that this still happens - fat chance.

A company's marketing policy only lasts as long as a change in pricing from their nearest competitor or a change in company structure - Bye Bye George & Hills, Hello GMC
    How about go and try the tool. hearing Ozito compared to Triton is honestly quite laughable!

GMC do have a cheaper rotary tool and yes it works quite well. I think the thing with these tools is that they are not a tool that you use every day in your workshop. If you dont why pay big bucks? If its for the occasional engraving, sanding or grinding then the home brand will do the job. If using all day every day obviously a trade brand is the way to go.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you will actually use the tool.

Cheers
    Eagle
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast