Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default The Control Panels

OK, now the control panels are complete...well sort of As stated previously, I wanted modular control panels and here is why; I wanted a two player and 4 player version (games like teenage mutant niga turtles is for 4 players).

This is further complicated by the fact that some games have 4-way (directions the stick moves) and other games have 8-way joysticks. This doesn't sound too bad until you realise if you used a 8-way joystick on a game like frogger, you will sometimes inadvertantly get run over by a car because the game only expects up and sideways movements and not diagonal (which an 8 way joystick is capable of).

The tops are only made from 12 mm MDF whilst the t-moulding for the sides is for 18mm material. and you can see the cut is offset. This is by design as I am placing 6mm clear polycarbonate on the top. I have also made templates of each of the tops so I can take them to a plastic place to get them cut out as from what I heard, this clear plastic stuff is a pain to cut without it cracking!! This thickness will also help squeeze down on the MDF so the t-moulding doesn't cause a bump (which you can see in one of the photos).

Martin.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Lightbulb It's been a while

Yep, it's been a long time since I have done anything on this (something about organising a big clamp order and a wedding!!!) so it's time to get back to it!

I have been having a look at the panels I've completed to play the games and have come to the conclusion that they are not good enough - way too weak and far too many of them!

Forthwith I have decided to go with one two player panel and to fabricate it out of plywood rather than the weaker MDF.

I've also decided to change the layout and have designed a new layout using visio. You can see the printed template on the first photo taped to a sandwich of two sheets of 17mm ply with a 3mm peice of polycarbonate between them.

I then drilled some small holes so that I had a common reference point (see photo 2) then separated it so that I could hole saw the polycarbonate ready for the buttons (photo 3).

Next I drilled out the button holes for the top part of the wood panel with a 28mm spade bit (Photo 4). Then finally checked the plate for the track ball fitted my reference marks (photo 5) - turns out that this also makes a nice beverage holder as well.

More to follow...

Ciao,

M.

This is a very cool thread . . . though for some reason I feel thirsty after looking at all the pics.

I well remember those orange plastic versions with the flat top and integrated stools for two players to sit opposite each other. To reproduce that experience, though, I'd need to build a fish and chip shop to put it in, and play to the sound of the 1980 top ten while eating a chicko roll.

Looking forward to more progress.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

You gotta have Gyruss on that!

What pathetic excuses.........
    You had to order a few clamps......how long could that take?!
    and a wedding only takes a couple of hours.

(my clamps are great BTW)

I agree that ply is more suitable especially for agressive players.

It looks like a really intersting project. I will enjoy watching your progress.
    Scally

Cool thread

Looks like the brand of beer has changed too
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

G'day Martin,

It's great to see this up and going again.

Now you've got me wanting a Galaga machine, or 1942, or Afterburner or Raiden in my shed - damnit it won't fit though.

Maybe I can sneak some room, but I know SWMBO would me.

I notice you've gone for all blue buttons against different colours.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    G'day Martin,

Now you've got me wanting a Galaga machine, or 1942, or Afterburner or Raiden in my shed - damnit it won't fit though.
    Ah, that's the benefit of using MAME for the emulation - it emulates a heap of arcade games And because it emulates so many games I thought that the fir/jump/bomb/whatever button will be a different button each game so keeping them all blue works

Ciao,

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    G'day Martin,

Maybe I can sneak some room, but I know SWMBO would me.
    Just tell her it is an extension of the router table
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Computers have games, sheds have Galaga!!!!!

(or afterburner, raider, pacman, frogger......)

Thank Goodness for mame

Martin,
    Great to see the cabinet project is back underway.
    I finished mine maybe a year or so back, but in never made it out to the shed

Kids commandeered it. They love it. SWMBO not that thrilled about it being in the lounge room but hey what can you do?

Here's a pic of my son performing some final "testing" just after we finished building.

Cheers,

Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_M View Post
    Martin,

Kids commandeered it. They love it. SWMBO not that thrilled about it being in the lounge room but hey what can you do?

Here's a pic of my son performing some final "testing" just after we finished building.

Cheers,

Glenn
    Hey Glenn,

Now that is one nice bit of kit - well done. I know how much effort it is to try and make one of these things! I'll keep posting as I do things on it so you can see as I work. My goal is to have it eating 20 cent pieces by Christmas! We'll see how we go.

Ciao,

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_M View Post
    Martin,

Cheers,

Glenn
    I made something similar, sort of a 'low line' unit in my last year of school ... about 10 years ago .. do you have any more pics of the beast Glenn?

Default It's been a long time....

Hi All,

Well it's been a very long time since the last time I have done anything on this project due to so many reasons, but today I have started back on this in full earnest! I've started out by revising some of what I have done in the past for two reasons, one it wouldn't have worked out properly and two I know so much more about woodwork!

To start off I added in some bracing at the back of the arcade machine that serves two purposes, 1) to mount the back panel and 2) to add rigidity to the top of the cabinet.

Next I have been experimenting with ways to fill the screw holes left when fastening the various bits together. I don't need a match as far as colour is concerned since I will be painting the cabinet so I just needed a filler.

In the end to fill the holes I chose a two step approach, use builders bog (which looks very much like auto body filler) to fill in most of the hole then smooth it over with a traditional woodwork filler. I tested this out and after a bit of sanding I'm happy with the results on my test off-cut.

Ciao,

M.

Default The rotating monitor supports

Having a bit of time away from this project means that I have had time to think about it a bit more. One of the areas that requires revision is the support for the rotating monitor. Subsequently I have decided that the support cross members need to be strengthened (using structural hardwood) and there needs to be two of them - one for the front of the monitor and one for the back.

Also I need to make some kind of saddle for the cross members to sit in instead of relying on the screws along to hold the weight (around 80 kilos) so I have made a quick and easy bridle for them.

Here is what I have come up with so far. I'll be fitting them tomorrow depending on what else is happening.

Any questions please ask on the thread so everyone can see the answers.

ciao,

M.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast