Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default That was quick!!

While I was posting the last message to this thread I had a question regarding the cabinet. It was this (extract only):

1) Do you have the diagrams for the arcade cabinet in sketchup?
    2) if so, can I buy them from you?

In answer to this, no I don't have the final version of the plans in sketch up for you just yet. I want to wait until I have finished the project before I release the drawings so people do not make the same mistakes I am making during the project.

Rest assured I will make all sketch up diagrams available on this thread and it will NOT cost a cent! If you can use these then great. In future please post to the thread as it saves me time cut and pasting the questions

Ciao,

M.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    G'day,

Hey can anyone remember the way to get the enemy not to shoot at you in Galaga? Once I learned that well...

The best games were: After Burner, Mad Dog McGraw, Midway and Galaga. Spent tonnes of money on them. Mad Dog I could finish with one coin, same too with After Burner.

!
    In the 1st or 2nd stage you need to leave the two bees on the LHS till last, keep dodging them until they stop shooting at you. It can take a while.
    Also, in the Challenge stages you aim your (LHand) ship so its firing up between the G & H in HIGH SCORE (ooh how the memories flood back!!)
    I dont remember Mad Dog athough I'm only a '75 vintage? Some other greats were Rygar, Time Pilot (2?), Ghosts & Goblins, yep... Moon Patrol(havoc?), Hyper Olympics......so many more......................Good onya Martink for resurfacing some great memories of wasted youth. Until only recently I had my own upright which I had converted for StreetFighter 2, with Mortal Combat, Hyper Olympics, Gouls & Ghosts.
    everything is something, for a reason:confused:

Talking The rails are in!

Following on from this morning I fitted the rails into the cabinet.I used a couple of temporary scraps screwed into the sides until I was happy with the arrangement of both the front and rear rail and they were the correct distance apart.

Next I sunk in a couple of 60mm 8G screws from the outside in to hold them in place. I didn't bother using glue as it's edge grain to MDF and I figured that it would be a waste of time - the strength required to hold the monitor assembly would have to come from elsewhere.

The last two photos are the mounting idea I have come up with. I only placed these below and at the rear of each rail mounting point since the monitor tilts back a little and there will be no weight on the front area of the rail. Each piece of bracing is glued and held in place with 3 screws. Hopefully this will hold the weight of the monitor!

I'm now off to get a spot of lunch, I might do some more of this in the afternoon - I feel as if I'm on a roll with this thing!

Ciao,

M.

Ok, I am on a roll with the project, just keeping up to date with the posting is the tricky bit! The next thing on the list was to make the panel to hold both the speakers and push buttons for the rotating monitor control.

To lay these out I set the speakers and buttons on the panel and marked them out. I then cut the holes and fitted it to the cabinet.

Next was the back lighting for the marquee, again I measured against the light then fitted the panel.

Finally I needed the front display panel. I have cut it to size and have test fitted this to the cabinet. The next thing I need to do is to cut a hole in it so that the monitor will show though. That will be next weekend's task along with another attenpt at the perfect control panel!

It's coming along, however slowly. This is a hell of a lot more work than I ever expected and I take my hat off to all those who have done this before me!

Ciao,

M.

My son requested one of these a while back and it has been on the to do list for months. He wants a combined arcade machine and MP3 juke box so a good sound system and lots of speakers and buttons. There are heaps of cheap LED configurations available now so plenty of opportunity to jazz up the cabinet.
    What are you using to interface the buttons to the computer? I have used the Hagstrom card for a machine console and that worked well but not sure if it is suitable for Arcade machines.
    Also how does the coin operation work. I have seen the doors and mechanism for Happs (?) but unsure how they interface to the computer.
    Any links you have on this would be much appreciated.
    Oh yeah keep building it would be great to see this working.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Great projects

I think I am going to need more Sundays in the weeks ahead...
    It's nice to be me.
    I'm the only one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rodm View Post
    My son requested one of these a while back and it has been on the to do list for months. He wants a combined arcade machine and MP3 juke box so a good sound system and lots of speakers and buttons. There are heaps of cheap LED configurations available now so plenty of opportunity to jazz up the cabinet.
    What are you using to interface the buttons to the computer? I have used the Hagstrom card for a machine console and that worked well but not sure if it is suitable for Arcade machines.
    Also how does the coin operation work. I have seen the doors and mechanism for Happs (?) but unsure how they interface to the computer.
    Any links you have on this would be much appreciated.
    Oh yeah keep building it would be great to see this working.
    Hey Rod,

I don't know much about the Hagstorm so I cannot comment on it I am going to use the iPac keyboard controller as it is easy to configure, well made and not too expensive http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html This device effectively maps the keyboard keys to arcade buttons and controls. If you want to put in a spinner or trackball then you need an Optipac http://www.ultimarc.com/optipac1.html

As for the coin operation, there are two ways of going, the cheapie way is just connect an extra button on the control panel that registers a coin insert. I went down a different path and got my mits on a coin door. You can buy them new or have a poke around old arcade/pinball repair shops for a cheaper solution. Ebay might also be the go here as well.

To hook all this together you will need MAME which runs on pretty much any operating system, windows, linux, mac. The mame wiki will give you a bit of background on how this works http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php...sked_Questions

Ciao,

M.

Thanks for the info and links.
    I'll be watching your progress with interest.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Very thoughtful of you to include the beer bottle scale indicator in all your photos. Great set, and thanks for sharing.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwood View Post
    Very thoughtful of you to include the beer bottle scale indicator in all your photos. Great set, and thanks for sharing.
    I'm not sure that was the real reason I included the beers but it works all the same, pity there always seems to be a hole in the bottom of them though.

Ciao,

M.

Thumbs up

Great WIP Martink.

Complex Job and good for problem solving skills.
    Do you intend to build an arcade to house it?

Very nice, just waiting on some bits from ozstick.com.au so I can build my own one, making it about 1/4 - 1/5 scale with an lcd so it can fit on a coffee table or desk

Quote Originally Posted by jeremybnz View Post
    Very nice, just waiting on some bits from ozstick.com.au so I can build my own one, making it about 1/4 - 1/5 scale with an lcd so it can fit on a coffee table or desk
    Hey Jeremy,

Distinct lack of timing here, I've changed the original design I had for the arcade machine and as a result I will probably have a heap of buttons, joysticks and other bits and bobs like track ball and spinner left over.

I do like the idea of a smaller desktop model though, will like to se eyour progress when you get into it

Ciao,

M.

Martink,

Nice job! I started "building" a mame cabinet some years ago but up until about 4 months ago hadn't actually touched any wood :P I have now made my control panel and am about to start the rest of the cabinet (the hard part). Credit to you for making the cabinet first though. I read SO many stories of people never getting further that the control panel as they can now play the games!

Anyway, just wanted to say good work... I will post my pics soon. Being a wood working novice I will probably have HEAPS of questions for you wood-leetests.

Also, if you do have any spare controls, I'll happily buy them off you. I'm in Melbourne but of course I'll pay the postage too - it'll still be cheaper that getting them from the US. I already have some controls but am particularly interested in track ball(s) and spinner(s).

Don't remember if this site has been mentioned yet but it's awesome:
    http://arcadecontrols.com/

Lastly, I have an iPac and can say it is the most awesome thing ever. I read about so many people hacking joysticks or keyboards and I think "why?!". You have no worries about ghosting etc with an iPac.

Default T Moulding

Hi All

I need to buy some T moulding to edge some table tops.
    Can anybody advise me where i can get it from.
    Im in West Oz but am happy to get it from the east if i need to.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast