Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default bench top glue-up questions

Hi,

I have acquired 2 veneered particleboard desk tops (each about 33 mm thick) which I intend to glue together (one on top of the other) to make a workbench top. The desk tops have veneer on both sides.

Question is -

Will the fact that I’ll be gluing the tops together by veneer to veneer be a problem? I’m thinking that the bond between the tops will come down to the integrity of the bond between the veneer and its top (although the veneer/top bond appears to have no problems).

Another question -

The tops are about 1500 mm x 600 mm. One of the tops is flat in both planes. The other has a slight dip in it along the length, but is flat in the other plane. I’m hoping that the flat top will “pull the other top into line” when they are glued together, rather than vice-versa. Should I put convex or concave side against the flat top – will it make any difference?? Any thoughts????

Rich

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm thinking that this is the wrong material to be using for a bench top, but you probably got a good deal on the desk tops.

A 66mm bench top is going to be very heavy. I wouldn't be too worried about the integrity of the veneer to particle board lamination. Before gluing together, experiment to see which sheet should go on the bottom and whether the warp should be up or down. Being 33mm thick, if the warp is too great, you are unlikely to suck this flat.

I think I would drive a few strategically placed particle board screws from the underside of the bottom panel to hold the two pieces together. You could spread a zigzag bead of glue on the top of the bottom piece, but go lightly. Too much glue and the pieces will skate. You should also consider bordering the two pieces with KD hardwood to give it a more traditional look. This could be biscuit joined and the corners could be butt-joined or mitred.

Realise that the top will look like r-t sh-t in a few months, so you might consider placing a sacrificial tempered Masonite sheet on the top. If you decide on this, make the KD frame slightly higher than the surface of the benchtop so that it holds the Masonite in place.

Thanks for the reply DPB.

I'm thinking that this is the wrong material to be using for a bench top, but you probably got a good deal on the desk tops
    correct, they were free

...bordering the two pieces with KD hardwood to give it a more traditional look. This could be biscuit joined and the corners could be butt-joined or mitred..................
    .....................the top will look like r-t sh-t in a few months, so you might consider placing a sacrificial tempered Masonite sheet on the top

does KD = Kiln Dried? I was planning on biscuit joining a skirt around the edges (butt joined at the corners) though I was just going to use pine (from a salvage place, not a hardware shop). I was also planning on the masonite sheet, but even if it does look like rat s... eventually, it won't bother me too much because the main aim is to stop thinking about making something and actually do it!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    Thanks for the reply DPB.

correct, they were free

does KD = Kiln Dried? I was planning on biscuit joining a skirt around the edges (butt joined at the corners) though I was just going to use pine (from a salvage place, not a hardware shop). I was also planning on the masonite sheet, but even if it does look like rat s... eventually, it won't bother me too much because the main aim is to stop thinking about making something and actually do it!

Thanks again.
    Yes, Tassie Oak, Vic Ash, etc. It will stand up better than Pine, but you can use Pine if your budget is restricted.

Agreed about wanting the bench to look used. You are not making a piece of furniture when building a bench.