Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to buy Epoxy (in Sydney)

Does anybody know the best place to buy Epoxy in Sydney?

I was checking out Paul's Hardware at lunchtime and they wanted $50 for a 225 gm pack. :eek:

I figure I've got to be able to get it cheaper than that.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Fibreglass Material Services. I paid about $120 for the 4/1 L pack with the pumps (West System).

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="516"> <tbody><tr><td width="10">
    </td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> FIBREGLASS MATERIAL SERVICES PTY LTD </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">
    </td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <!-- no map --> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244">

</td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">
    </td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <!-- no map --> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> Unit1/ 19 Boden Rd Seven Hills 2147
    </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">(02) 9624 2811</td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <form action="http://ww2.whereis.com/mapping/geocodeAddress.do" method="post"></form> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"><input name="submit" src="http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/images/map_new.gif" alt="map" border="0" height="27" type="image" width="25"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> Seven Hills Fax 1730
    </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">(02) 9624 6290</td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <!-- no map --> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> Seven Hills Head Office 1730
    </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">(02) 9832 5250</td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <!-- no map --> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> Seven Hills Fax 1730
    </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">(02) 9832 5251</td> <td valign="top" width="83">
    </td> <!-- no map --> <td align="center" valign="top" width="47"></td> <td class="searchBorder" valign="top" width="1"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="searchBorder" width="1"></td> <td width="10"></td> <td class="nameResult" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="244"> [email protected]
    </td> <td class="data" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="130">
    </td> </tr></tbody> </table>

Thanks Mitch.

I get the Techniglue stuff from Perth, same day despatch and better priced than West. Also they post whereas West must be couriered.

Suggest go to the Tecniglue site and see if there's a dealer local to you.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Carbatec have it here. http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...Path=111_11780
    I was over at FMS the other week and they have it as well. I didn't get a price though.

Craig,

If you haven't gone racing down to your supplier, give the blokes at Boatcraft a call in Bris. http://www.boatcraft.com.au/contact.html

Overnight courier isn't all that much (cheaper than driving there), and I've found the service fantastic..

I've just ordered some stuff, the cost to get to me is $8.00 and I'll have it at 7 in the morning.

Almost as good as Lee Valley!

Cheers,

P

What is the intended use Craig?

I can't help where to buy it but I thought I might learn something.
    - Wood Borer

Carbatec has Techniglue & West system, I think Bias Marine near you has West System.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer
    What is the intended use Craig?

I can't help where to buy it but I thought I might learn something.
    I have some cedar that has the ocasional knot. In a few places part of the knot has come out during the dressing process. I thought I'd use coulored epoxy to fill these cavities.

Does that sound sensible?

I'm open to suggestions.

So what are these two differnt systems (Technique and West)?

Craig (total epoxy novice)

Different brands, so you should stick with one brand till it's finished. If you use one brand of hardener and a different brand of resin, it might not work, or you may get funny results.

So, when you decide which brand you are going to use, then you need to decide what you need from the epoxy. Ie: fast or slow cure, cold or hot conditions, clear/opaque/solid colour, etc.

For example, I just got some epoxy. I bought 1l of resin, and had a choice of 20, 50 and 80 minute hardeners, along with a water clear hardener. I wanted a slower cure (to give me some time to work) and I will be using this in summer, so I chose the 50 minute. If I was working only in winter time, I'd go with the 20. If it was for asthetics or protection, the water clear. If I needed a looong time to cure (big lamination?) then the 80.

That's all the choice I had, which for me is enough. I know that West has many more options to choose from, as I suspect most of the bigger brands do too.

For your needs this time, I'd opt for a slower cure and a good set of digital scales. The scales to weight it all out properly (unless you get measuring pumps) and a slow cure to let all the air bubbles out when you fill a hole.

I had to fill a couple holes, and the stuff I have worked for me. Although it does take 2 days to go off properly. &^%&^% winter...

Craig,

Techniglue and WEST System are made by the same company, distributed in Aus by ATL Composites

WEST is designed as a laminating resin and is free flowing, I've forgotten the mix ratio, but there's all you ever needed to know on the above website, to turn it into a glue, you use various proprietry thickening powders made by the same company. Techniglue is a 1:1 mix, a thicker epoxy about the consistency of Clag glue!

BoteCoat is made by http://www.boatcraft.com.au/ BoatCraft Pacific, and is a 2:1 mix as for WEST. Boatcraft's glue product is called Epox E Glue I think, and is a 1:1 mix just like techniglue.

Epoxies can be coloured with powders or dyes, but a polyester pouring resin may be better for your job?

I suggest you call either of the above and talk specifics.

Epoxy can be quite expensive in small quantities, I presently pay just on $100 for a six litre pack from Boatcraft, and 4 litres of fortifier powder (to make a thicker glue) is around $15.00.

Cheers,

P (with epoxy under the nails!)

There is a Sydney outlet for the Bote Cote system - I'm pretty sure its the Sydney office of BoatCraft - they have a stand at every Sydney annual WWW show - should save you on freight.

Check for nearby fiberglass suppliers such as Daystar and some others (can't remember their name - they have branch office near me) all have multiple local outlets now, and sell expoxy as well as polyester resin - usually in 250ml, 500ml & 1 ltr tins.

I also think Barnes Products have some epoxies (stores in Newtown & Bankstown)

Did you try ePoxford St?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Craig,

Techniglue and WEST System are made by the same company, distributed in Aus by ATL Composites
    And for those in Melbourne, get it at - Marinesport 97b Argus st Cheltnham. They are a great mob to deal with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast