Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Default GMC vs Ryobi table saw

I had a close look at these two [GMC TS251 ryobi HBT255L] and foundthat the GMC table and fence is total crap. Whereas on the Ryobi just the fence was crap. I am thinking, instead of spending the extra $80.00 on the ryobi I can customise the GMC by putting a 10 or 12mm MDF top with side supports I can clamp a straight fence to. I would also add some stiffening braces. I could make the top longer, wider and add a router mountif i wanted to. I would lose a few mill from the cutting hieght if i used heavier board say 12 mil.

It is a very simple machine and this is easily acheivable. My main gripe with the top is that it is not flat. Where the removable section is bolted to the body there is a threaded shim that lifts the top by a couple mill right in front of the blade. It also is a tight fit at the other end so it bows slightly. This could be fixed easily. Also the fence is hopelessly out of true when locked but I expected that. It would be simple to add a piece of board either end so you could clamp a fence both ends.

As far as I can tell the Ryobi is pretty much a closed box as far as even clamping a fence to the top. I have read here that the fence is also hopeless on that model. I must say I like the top on the ryobi but there is little scope there to use a simple fence clamped at both ends. ie one side the profile is slanted but it is doable but on the other side there is no overhang and nothing at all to grab onto with a clamp.

So I am thinking that the GMC is probably the better buy as it has more scope for improvement. With Ryobi I know that 1500 watt motor will eat the GMC 2000 watt for breakfast and the top is really nice. However the fact is that what you see is what you get and you would be pretty much stuck with that awfull fence. Any one like to make further comments??
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have and have used the Ryobi HBT255L for a few years now and I think the poor quality of the fence is overstated. Sure, it's not a Biesemeyer fence but let's keep within the price considerations. What you need in a fence is primarily that it be parallel to the saw blade. The Ryobi fence clamps on the front and back of the table by a screw mechanism in the front. I found that if you apply forward pressure on the fence while tightening it (so the back clamping position was initially "free") I can get a perfectly parallel alignment every time.

The second consideration is the height and shape of the fence. The Ryobi one is crap in this department in my view -- too short and slightly rounded rather than a sharp right angle where it meets the table. This is easily fixed. Simply construct a MDF box to fit over the fence -- also works as a sacrificial fence when needed.

What you don't get is an accurate, reliable measure of the distance between the blade and the fence. The Ryobi has a built-in tape measure but I never trust that anyway - I prefer to use a steel rule to measure the cut width.

Finally, I would recommend changing the blade that comes with the TS. Spend some money on a good blade and you will be rewarded. I also removed the guard (don't start on me, I'm extremely careful in how I use the TS and I think the guard is more likely to cause an accident than prevent one).

On this forum you will get a lot of advice that essentially runs like this: don't buy that ($200 tool), it's crap. What you really need is this ($1,400 tool) which is much better. Well duh. My view is that you buy the best tool you can afford and then with care and patience you can coach the best results out of it.

Those $1400.00 tools are crap.
    Aim to spend at least $5k and you will be very happy with the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil
    Those $1400.00 tools are crap.
    Aim to spend at least $5k and you will be very happy with the tool.
    Which $1400 tools. They were talking about GMC and Ryobi tablesaws :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Oohhhh! I got got it. Duh!

Ryobi great if you throw away all the attachements, ie fence/guard/handles/table top/ basically all the ryobi bits, none of it's worth the effort. gmc i leave for some other person to tackle.

Max Ripper someone prove me wrong thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie
    Which $1400 tools. They were talking about GMC and Ryobi tablesaws :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Oohhhh! I got got it. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by custos
    I have and have used the Ryobi HBT255L for a few years now and I think the poor quality of the fence is overstated. Sure, it's not a Biesemeyer fence but let's keep within the price considerations. What you need in a fence is primarily that it be parallel to the saw blade. The Ryobi fence clamps on the front and back of the table by a screw mechanism in the front. I found that if you apply forward pressure on the fence while tightening it (so the back clamping position was initially "free") I can get a perfectly parallel alignment every time.

The second consideration is the height and shape of the fence. The Ryobi one is crap in this department in my view -- too short and slightly rounded rather than a sharp right angle where it meets the table. This is easily fixed. Simply construct a MDF box to fit over the fence -- also works as a sacrificial fence when needed.

What you don't get is an accurate, reliable measure of the distance between the blade and the fence. The Ryobi has a built-in tape measure but I never trust that anyway - I prefer to use a steel rule to measure the cut width.

Finally, I would recommend changing the blade that comes with the TS. Spend some money on a good blade and you will be rewarded. I also removed the guard (don't start on me, I'm extremely careful in how I use the TS and I think the guard is more likely to cause an accident than prevent one).

On this forum you will get a lot of advice that essentially runs like this: don't buy that ($200 tool), it's crap. What you really need is this ($1,400 tool) which is much better. Well duh. My view is that you buy the best tool you can afford and then with care and patience you can coach the best results out of it.
    I'm with Custos on all his points. Didn't know about the forward pressure on the fence trick, thanks.

I got my Ryobi 2nd hand and for what I paid its good value. The motor has more than ample grunt, remember it only will cut about 72mm. As with custos the fence is crap and the table not far behing. My two main complaints re the table is that it has square slots, so locking anything in place is impossible, ie feather boards. most after market fences have a mitred slot fitting so cant use.

Secondly, the alloy cast table makes it next to impossible to clamp down a temp fence, as the underneath is finned and slopes too.

I would make a new table and fence but sheds too small.

Good points:

Motors grunt
    Easily portable, just pick it up
    Cheap and reliable
    Can mount router and jigsaw if you so choose
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Egad I ended up buying the Triton Powered Saw Table which was $40.00 more than the Ryobi. Swimbo authorised $200.00 on a "mighty" saw [thats what she calls em] and $600.00 later I ended up with a 12" ryobi SCMC and the triton. For her the triton was "a very good deal on a runout model" and the triton I have "had for years, don't you recognise it?"

The portability and foldupability of the Triton is what sold me plus I get a good saw I can detach. My 15 y/old Ryobi needed replacement anyhow. Also the 30 odd kilo tag on the Ryobi left me wondering how many times i could lift it as it would have to live under the bench rather than atop it. [crook back] . I know that the Triton is limited in what it can do but it does it well. The fence and other attachments look a lot better in build than the Ryobi. So lets hope the 1600 watt triton saw does the job. Looking back I think the SCMS is a waste and I may offload it. Someone said the SCMS is a luxury item i guess time will tell.

Thanks to all of you who posted thoughts on my posts. When I buy sometimes I have an awfull time deciding on what to buy and the feedback I got here was very valuable. BTW I stood in the toolshop at bunnings for a total of nearly 2 hours trying to decide. BTW I am glad I didnt keep the GMC.
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Default help?

in reference to the fence issue with the ryobi table saw. is it common for the fence to not stay in place? for it to pop off?

Dear Seal,

That's a fairly old thread that you've tagged on to the end of...

You might have better luck if you start an altogether new thread on the subject in this same sub-forum (ie. "Table Saws & Combinations")

Good Luck,
    Batpig

how do i do that? thanks for responding!