Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: New toys

Smile New toys

As I drove up my street this morn, I noticed a "Garage Sale" sign . . . where I picked up a Stanley No 63 Spokeshave, a Stanley Chamfer Spokeshave (65), a H(enry) Boker Vice/Anvil (Jewellers??) and a thumping pad.

Got home with the new toys, got in trouble with MBGitW, as she asked for me to recon the sale, but as usual I bored straight into the tools and forgot everything else.

Cleaned up the toys with my Dremel and soaked in Penetren. I searched for Darth's thread on the MKII hone guide and found the set up for Spokeshave blades and found an article by Bob Smasler on rehabing Spokeshaves. So armed with this knowledge, proceeded to spend the arvo tuning up the shaves and sharpening the blades.

The blade for the 63 is has Stanley SweetHeart Made in Canada on it and the 65 has Stanley Rule and a illegible number. The vice is stamped H Boker, with a Stag head above the name.

Could someone please confirm the number on the Chamfer Spokeshave and if there is a study on Stanley's Spokeshaves on the net, please tell me.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Chamfer spoke shave

Hi Pat,

Nice pick-up. I believe the Stanley chamfer spoke shave is a No. 65.

Regards,
    Mirboo.

Pat -

Blessed art thou to be able to pick up such niceties at the local garage sales.

In my area, the tools never last that long at any garage sale.

Most people who advertise a sale for 8am have dealers on the doorstep at 6.30.

There's a guy who seems to get to every garage sale about 5 mins before I do. His first question (before 'Good Morning') always is, 'Do you have any tools?' If there's no one around to ask, he will go hunting around for a likely box, and up-end it on the ground, spreading its contents all over the place in search of the elusive screwdriver or plane. If he finds nothing, he just walks away.

It annoys heck out of me, but what can I do? Like every recreational angler fishing in the wake of a trawler, you just have to shake your head and keep fishing, hoping that there's "one that got away" with your name on it.

Cheers,
    GW
    Where you see a tree, I see 3 cubic metres of timber, milled and dressed.

Thanks Mirboo, I thank a article by Patrick Leach, He of the "Blood & Gore" fame on spokeshaves.

Adriaan, I was lucky yesterday, they were still setting up!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Green Woodchips
    ...........Most people who advertise a sale for 8am have dealers on the doorstep at 6.30...........
    Had a big garage sale a few years ago when we moved house, had a 6ft chest freezer, offroad wheels and tyres, furniture, clothes, building materials, you name it. Advertised "after 8am or the dog will get you" and had a dealer at about 6.30 who couldn't read. I set the dog on him (I'm a man of my word ) Actually the dog set himself on him, he didn't need any encouragement as he would attack anyone who came in the gate. Tied him up at ten to eight but didn't see the dealer again.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Good one, Pat.

Occasionally, you do win some. (By the way, that eBay vice ended up going for $10 more than I was prepared to bid ... so no more lost sleep!)

Mick -- you could run a veritable industry in our area loaning out your dog to anyone who wants to have a garage sale which actually starts on time!

GW
    Where you see a tree, I see 3 cubic metres of timber, milled and dressed.

Default Another Garage Sale

MBGitW had to go out to get her hair done so me thinks to myself, I'll go Garage Sale Trawling. I picked up an old Ryobi Linisher (Model HBDS46) manufactured in 1992 for $20, 4" x 6" and a King Dick 1" & 15/16" ring spanner for $2.

The Linisher has a cast iron body, as I discovered carrying it 100m to my car. it's quiet heavy

Does anyone have a manual for the beastie? Does anyone know if the belt goes vertical?

I had to drive by FX Larkin, so I got some new belts and discs.

Now it's off to continue jointing the 75mm lumps of unknown gum for a bench top for the linisher and grinder. I better find Darth's instructions for his sharpening jig for the linisher too!

New (for me) Toys are always fun!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    I picked up an old Ryobi Linisher (Model HBDS46) manufactured in 1992 for $20, .....Does anyone have a manual for the beastie? Does anyone know if the belt goes vertical?
    I found a BDS46 on the Ryobi site, yours has a 'H' though, which may indicate horizontal only.

Try http://ryobi.com.au then go to Products/manuals. I did a search but it didn't work properly (typical Ryobi some might say!)

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    I found a BDS46 on the Ryobi site, yours has a 'H' though, which may indicate horizontal only.

Try http://ryobi.com.au then go to Products/manuals. I did a search but it didn't work properly (typical Ryobi some might say!)
    Groggy, the link worked for me, after I first saved it and then opened it, and it appears that the BDS4600 model is virtually the same as the original HBDS46 that I used to have.

Pat, download the manual and see but if needed I can help out with a copy of the original manual.

The belt can be raised to the vertical by loosening the 2 locking bolts which are behind the disk sander. Can't remember if you have to take of the disk sander for it or thgat you can reach it from the side as I didn't use the disk sander at all as I have a proper disk sander.

Peter.

Thumbs up

Thanks Peter, I manage this arvo to find the two bolts that you mention and loosened them and cleaned some grime away and "Hey it does go vertical"

I'll try the seppo site as the Aussie site is in that 'orrible Flash shiite.

(Edit. I have downloaded the seppo version and looked at the AU version. Much a muchness.)

(Edit pt II. Just downloaded the relevent manual for the Grizzly version. Alot more indepth. 3 pages of safety warnings, must be a government requiement over there.)
    Pat