Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That is a spectacural billet o' quilted! Are you gonn slice the veneers yourself? If so, how are you gonna go about it?
    Ruining great woodworks since 1996.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up Kick it to me

Martix,

Sent the quilted maple to me and I will turn it into a nice electric bass guitar, just kidding. Very nice timbers you have there, good luck with it.

Regards Mike.

Martrix,
    Great timber you've got there, sure it will look phenomal in the finished product! Look forward to the finished product. (and piccy's of all the work in between )
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Thanks all for the encouraging comments. I am looking forward to completing this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1
    Where do you get quited maple from Martrix? Looks spectacular!
    Quote Originally Posted by graydog
    i'm jealous
    i love that figure
    how did you find it?
    The Quilted Maple block came from the U.S. with a relative. Whilst it is not impossible to get from most exotic wood suppliers in the state's, it is harder to get really good even, pronounced figure. Also can get quite pricey.
    I sell some veneers of quilt from time to time here...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter36
    Wow What great looking redgum . Youd probably wait a while to buy timber like that again . What was it like to machine.
    Hi Peter, the redgum was a little difficult to machine. I cut the tapers on the triton with a jig, then buzzed the surface flat. Before I passed them over the buzzer, I sprayed the surface with a mist of water, let it soak in to soften the fibres, then push slowly over the sharpest area of my buzzer(mmm...a freshen up of blades is needed!)

The redgum was expensive and came from here, this piece had been skip dressed, so the figure slapped me in the face, but you can usually see the fiugre, if any, by the rough fibres that tend to stick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Beaver
    That is a spectacural billet o' quilted! Are you gonn slice the veneers yourself? If so, how are you gonna go about it?
    Yep, gonna slice them up on the new bandsaw(verrry carefully:eek: ), probably about 2.5-3.0mm thick. Should get a flitch of about 12.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

Great pictures, I'm impressed

yeesh, its been awhile!

Wiped off the dust and got moving again on this one, poor little lonely redgum....

gee, a Domino wouldn't go astray right about now, oh well...GMC biscuits it is.

Pretty much ready to start cutting up the 1.5mm Rock Maple veneer to start laying.

I am following the strict Shed Code by having at least 3 projects on the go!

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

"Well here goes another project, hopefully this one wont take 6+ months to complete ."

BTW looking good Martrix

Looking great Matrix ..... I missed the post the first time so I will keep an eye out for the completed goods.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Ok, more movement on the ranch.

Time to veneer the Cabinets using 1.5mm U.S. Rock Maple ply.

The sheet of veneer I was using had been sitting around for a couple of years and had not been stored properly, so it was like a banana .
    Not too much of a problem though, just meant i had to take extra care when i cut it to size (clamps, blocks of wood etc.)
    I wanted the grain of the veneer to flow from the top down to the sides, so mitres needed to be made.
    Pretty much the only guaranteed way to cut the mitres was by by hand with a trusty Mujingfang palm smoother and a longer than normal sanding block.
    As the grain needs to flow, there is very little room for error, as the more you dock off between the joins, the less matching and flowing the grain will be.

Top piece goes on first, then the two side after.
    Spray grade Contact adhesive is used, same gear as what is used for sticking down laminate.

In the pic below, you can see that I've left about 8mm with no glue, as the mitre and a little bit back will be coated with yellow glue for extra strength.

All veneer on, and as the front edge is mitred (as will the drawer front), I am gluing on a solid 2mm timber edge for durability.

Quick pic, small rebates in legs (top and bottom) for black redgum inlays.

All front edges veneered with iron-on maple.

A close up of the 1.5mm ply mitre. Note the flowing grain from top to bottom....yay

Just another close up so you can see how the veneer is mitred.

Next up is the inlay on the legs and filling gum pockets etc on the legs with epoxy...
    Albert Einstein

Looking good Martrix
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Classy stuff Matrix!
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Lookin good, gettin in some extra shop time eh!

Still selling much veneer on epay?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Lookin good, gettin in some extra shop time eh!

Still selling much veneer on epay?
    Yep, some extra shop time indeed. Victorian economic growth is non-existent= receding consumer spending= no work ...

As for Epay, not selling veneer there any more as it has become too expensive..They killed a good thing with their 500% fee hike, you should read the Epay forums..
    Still sell some here which is the fully Australian owned and operated equivalent still in its infancy, but has now close to 100,000 members and growing rapidly.
    Will eventually put more up when I get off my butt.
    The good thing about Oztion is its completely free to list anything for any amount of time, and when they do sell the fees are 3% compared to 10% on Epay.
    Albert Einstein

Thank god that part is finished.

I think it was probably 10 solid hours of work from cutting the beads to cutting the rebates, and then cutting the 3mm x 3mm beads to size, gluing then cleaning them up....

If I have to do that again, i will be looking in to either a hand/foot operated guillotine.

Pic 1.

The finish sanded legs ready to be glued to the cabinet.

Pic 2.

Close up of the mitred inlay/beads?

Pic 3.

This is how I mitred the beads to size..Sharp chisel with 2 taps of the mallet oversize, and then trim cuts by hand.

Pic 4 & 5.

Bead in, Bead out....like "Wax on, Wax off" ......time for bed

Next is the drawers and the part I'm most looking forward to......working with the Quilt
    Albert Einstein

and so on.....

ready for oil.

During oil.
    I am using BLO on the redgum, as it I want them to be dark as possible to provide more contrast.
    Just normal Danish Oil on the maple. The rest of the finish will be wipe on poly.....over and out.

I wish all the legs had figure as nice as this
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast