Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Great stuff mate, I'm keen for the next installment.... so get back to it!
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

SLLLLLLLICK!!!

Gee, ya coulda made some real nice tools with that redgum!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
    Great stuff mate, I'm keen for the next installment.... so get back to it!
    Tallyho!

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    SLLLLLLLICK!!!

Gee, ya coulda made some real nice tools with that redgum!

Bob
    yeah probably, but down here in Mexico most oldish houses are riddled with good figured posts used for fences:eek: .

I'm hoping to butcher this into some tools

Any way back to the topic.

Joining and pressing the veneers at the moment for the Drawer fronts, but just couldn't resist posting pic of the scrap/sample piece in the broad sunlight.
    cheers.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

getting closer .

Had a few issues with the veneered panels so they are back in the clamps for 24 hrs.

There was still some excess moisture in them, so they started to slightly cup. Flipped them over to be left overnight, but by this afternoon they started going the other way.

Out with the water spray and moist brush, then back in the press for another 24 hrs.
    I should have the drawer fronts ready by the time they come out of the press, so they can pretty much go straight in and be fixed down.

Pic 1.
    Back of the top drawer which is mitred to meet up with the cabinet to complete a neat minimalist look. The veneer was once again trimmed to size with the Muji palm and will have a solid 2mm Maple strip glued on for durability.
    I had to make full use of the last piece of Maple ply that was left for the drawer backs, so it was divided up and glued on as shown. The open space in the centre will be covered up by the drawer.

Pic 2.
    Drawers in using Hafele full-extension ballrace runners..
    They're not real pretty, (the traditionalists will be shaking the heads) but they are so smooth and take lots of abuse and will never bind or stick (like timber runners can).
    If they ever fail, which I have yet to see, its a simple job to replace. Compromises, compromises....

Pic 3.
    Top edges pressed and ready to be cleaned up with a file. I had already pressed up the curly sycamore drawer panels a week ago.
    Drawer components morticed (funny looking mortice , but fast!) and ready for glue up.

out......
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

OK, this is the last WIP post so Ill quit boring you with all the minutia .

Just on a side note, almost had a small disaster in Eltham town today.
    Was busily working away around 12 ish thinking cool, I will get this done easy today and get the first coat of oil on.
    Sandind, sanding.......then "Boom".....powers goes out.......another "boom"...They sounded like pretty big explosions coming from the street, so I wandered out the front to see what the %$#!s kicking.

:eek: Next thing I see is (of all times) heaps of smoke and fire on the nature strip.....pretty concerned at this point.
    I figured it was something electrical as there is a transformer down the street that has popped once before, but I thought is going on here? Something blown up underground?

The grass fire started spreading, and there were houses within 10 metres (Eltham is pretty bushy and there is loads of Gums in every yard), so onto 000 toot sweet.
    The fireys came within 5 minutes and thankfully it was almost out. Had it been yesterday, could quite have been a different story.
    Turns out, a widow maker branch came off a gum, hit the wires and sent big sparks to the dry grass. Luckily it was a bare patch of grass with no shrubs around......No power till 5pm.....

Back to the cabs...

Pic 1.
    Drawer fronts rebated with Quilt panels ready to go in.

Pic 2.
    Spray on contact again in the middle, and yellow glue around the edges.
    After the last two days of extra dry heat, I just couldn't get these panels to stabilise, so I want the yellow glue to really hold down the edges.

Pic 3. & 4.

Ready for finishing, minus handles and the glass tops. Last WIP pics until they're complete.

Gotta say I'm a bit over them and my shed needs a mighty good clean ..

over and out.
    Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

I'm gobsmacked, bee-ute-tiffal work. You should display them, no, really, you should.

Have you got your glass tops yet?

Thanks Grogg.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Have you got your glass tops yet?
    Nup.

Will inquire tomorrow.
    The glass is to be sand blasted on the underside, but as I am hoping to use suction cups to fix down the glass, they ain't going to work very well, if at all on the blasted surface.
    I vaguely remember seeing a stick on film that gives the same effect, yet remains smooth enough for the cups to grab.
    I may have to rethink the fixing method though if its not possible...(crossed fingers)...I really don't want anything sticking out of the glass top.

Just had a quick search.
    Like this, I just hope the underside of the film is smooth.
    Albert Einstein

Great job martrix... stunning.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Hi Martrix, You could use a 3M product,that is used for headlight and bonnet protection on cars,very good adhesive and smoth as........Peter

Hi, I actually pretty much finished these before Christmas and have just got to make up some small handles.

I had a month long virus during that time when it also was 38 degree days every day and I ordered the glass the wrong size ...... .

It was only 10mm short each side so it wasn't a complete loss. Parents also decided to by-pass the frosted glass. I think it may have looked better with it.

Happy with the finish and quality, but not too sold on the design which I should have put more thought into. Wish I knew about SketchUp then ....live and learn.

Will take some better photos with a nice background when the handles are complete and to try and make it look good. ...feel free to say what you think is wrong with it.

Albert Einstein

Methinks it would look better without the coffee mug rings
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Just magnificent. Excelent design and workmanship. The old saying "you carnt pick your parents" Chuck the glass top as it look ordinary for the quality of the cabinet and get a green tinged frosted. Or better still carve your own slab design and have some galss slumped to fit. That would look brilliant Well done Martrix

Very nice Mart!

Beautiful Martrix.

I can see interesting feature with the glass top, you can't roll over and try to turn off the alarm in a hurry! But you can see the clock through the glass and the top is clear for other stuff!!

cheers
    Wendy
    (another one for the sincere flattery file)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast