Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default drill top bench press - where to buy

I recently bought a Ryobi bench drill press. From memory I paid about $100 although price was not really an issue to me.

I am a jeweller/metalsmith and wanted the drill press to use in this work - I need to be able to drill some very accurate holes. When I got the Ryobi drill press home I found it wasn't accurate enough for my requirements. It may be okay for the home handyman but the drill spins around the centre rather than on the centre - after much analysis it seems the be the shaft that the chuck attaches to that is the cause of the problem.

I have decided that the problem is most likely going to be the same for any drill press in the price range - I think if I take the drill back and swap it for another of the same I will get the same problem. So, I am looking to spend more and get a better quality drill press - I think up to $300 (maybe more if it comes to it) shouldn't be a problem. The problem I'm having however is with finding somewhere to buy such an item. I've looked in all the hardware stores and all of the trade tool shops I know of and haven't found what I'm looking for. There are plenty of industrial quality pedestal drill presses but I specifically want a bench top one. My space is extremely limited and I have some space on one of my workbenches for a drill press but no floor space to set a pedestal drill press (not without putting it in the doorway or in front of the window).

I am in Brisbane but am willing to drive anywhere within a couple of hour radius to get what I'm after. Is anyone able to point me towards a tool store that is selling what I'm after? If not I would consider ordering from interstate but only on recommendation. Does anyone know of any good solid brand drill presses?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

All of the little bench drills that I have seen over many years, have been rubbish IMO.
    Obviously way over your stated budget, but a little mill is probably more what you need.
    This one is $xxy but not a bad little unit.
    http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php

I have a Brobo Waldown drill press which is very accurate, however it was expensive, and is a large floor machine. If brobo make a bench unit, I can reccomend them as a manufacturer. All parts etc are available, and the machines are made is Aus. Brobo have tight spec on quill runout and machine tollerences as a whole.

If you can find a cheaper accurate pedistall model, you can always cut the pole down for bench mounting.

Gregory Machinery may be able to help you, they're in Brisbane - not sure of the suburb as they've moved. Hafco (Hare and Forbes) may also have something suitable.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi, try the Metalworking Forum on this website. Metalworkers work to much finer tolerances than most woodworkers so they would know about the kind of drill press you need.
    Paul
    New Zealand

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I have a Record benchtop press, 1/2" chuck which will securely hold a .5mm bit, deadly accurate.
    Try Ebay to see if you can find one, I love mine but thewy are no longer available, see if there is one around.
    Or a dremel with a drill press optional fitting.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Default Dremel

I think that the Dremel with the drill press attachment is the best way to go - I have used my Dremel for all sorts of fine work (indoor flying model aircraft, electronics, etc) and if the drill doesn't run true it isn't because of the machine it's because the operator (ie yours truly) hasn't centred the drill properly or has bent the drill by pressing too hard rather than letting the drill do the job.
    Dremel stuff is a bit exy at bunnies and other retail stores but good equipment is often available on ebay.

Have you looked at Rexon?
    Rexon 12 Speed Bench Drill Press. #49DP380AKL
    http://www.justtools.com.au/category28_1.htm

I cant vouch personaly, but they are ment to be of good quality... so I've heard

There's also Proxxon they specalise in quality model making tools.
    http://mytoolstore.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=268

If you really want to get serious you'd grab one of these... no need to limit yourself to just drilling holes... http://mytoolstore.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=282

If you want real accuracy, go with Fossil's advice - get a mill/drill from someone like Hare & Forbes or Carbatec, who have a range of small units that will take small drills as well as milling cutters.

If the drills you are using are too small, just get one of the keyless chucks made to go into a regular chuck - Jaycar Electronics have some 'quick change' ones with ~6mm hex shafts, or you can get even smaller ones from MicroMark (online only). Jaycar also sell 1.2mm, 1mm, & 0.8mm drills in lots of 10.

For the small and accurate stuff you realy need to be looking at model makers stuff.
    Proxon make some very small and accurate little bench top drill presses.

I'm not sure who is handling them now, MIK perhaps.

the model railway blokes would be the sort of people to talk to.

I have used a full sized drill press to drill printed circuit boards but I put a pin vice in the chuck which helps a bit as the chuck is not trying to grip at the small end od its range.

proxon, check out proxon.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindabout
    I am a jeweller/metalsmith and wanted the drill press to use in this work - I need to be able to drill some very accurate holes. When I got the Ryobi drill press home I found it wasn't accurate enough for my requirements. It may be okay for the home handyman but the drill spins around the centre rather than on the centre - after much analysis it seems the be the shaft that the chuck attaches to that is the cause of the problem.
    I have one of the Ryobi 12 speed benchtop drill presses. It came in a box as a build-it-yourself job. On first assembly, the drill bit behaved exactly as you describe, it was way off, and not really useful for even home handymen. I then discovered that I had not been diligent in following the chenglish instructions for seating the taper (the shaft that the chuck is attached to), so I removed it and tried again and got it a lot better. I'm sure that with a bit of perserverance you should be able to get it spot-on.

Worth a try, at any rate.

woodbe.

Before putting the chuck on you could check the runout on the spindle with a dial guage. If its true then its just a matter of getting the chuck on straight like the last bloke posted. I need to pull mine apart and try to get the chuck a little more centered.

Thanks for all the replies - gotta leave for work soon so I don't have time to respond to everything right now.

First - on the ryobi. Mine is a 5-speed and probably far inferior to the 12-speed. Mine was a DIY assembly job but the shaft was already attached to the motor. I have already taken the chuck off and ascertained that the shaft itself isn't running true - there's no way to take that out and put it back in again so I'm sort've stuck with the problem.

If I get time this Saturday I intend to go to Hare & Forbes and Gregory (if they're open Saturdays), both suggested earlier in this thread, to take a look at their drill presses... and maybe see if someone there can talk to me about them - although, my experience in the past has been that salespeople tend not to know their products.The brands that I'll be looking at (if their website catalogues are up to date) are "Hafco Metalmaster", "TruPro" and "JET". I will need to see these anyway to get an idea of size and what I'm talking about in general. The rule, as always for me, is don't buy anything on the first visit - this ensures that I don't get conned by a salesperson as this has happened a few times in the past - next day after the purchase I'm left scratching my head wondering why I bought it. Anyway, does anyone know or have any opinions on these brands?

Oh, and just to verify - I don't need more accurate than a good drill press. I studied gold and silversmithing as part of a uni course and used their drill press for anything that required an accurate & straight hole with no problems. The most difficult thing I drilled, and drilled very successfully, was sideways into 4mm thick aluminium to a depth of about 50 or 60mm - I had to make many such holes and even my lecturer was surprised at how successful it was. Unfortunately the lecturer is the most unhelpful creature known to human kind and in the past when I have contacted him to find out something about equipment we used there he managed to completely avoid giving me any sort of helpful answer so I have not attempted to find out about the drill press. I wish I could remember but I have a feeling there wasn't a brand name printed on it anywhere anyway - I'm pretty sure it was quite old.

If you buy any chinese made press test before you buy and only buy off the floor. I have found that play in the quill is problematic. Fully extend the quill, back off slightly then feel for slop sideways/backwards/forwards before you buy.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I bought a Ryobi floor drill many moons ago, mate worked for Mitre 10 and himself.
    He picked one out, took it home, put new bearings in and sent it to me, never had a problem.
    A bit of crud on the MT can cause a few problems though so it's probably worth giving both sides a bit of a scrub.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

The machines at Hare and Forbes are chinese, except for the brobo drills which are twice as expensive for the given machine capacity. The chinese drills that they sell are heavy machines, but I would be a little sceptical about accuracy. Some of the guys there have been in the machining trades, and could set up a dial indicator on any machine that you are interested in. Bear inj mind also that I have yet to use a 16mm chuck that will hold a bit smaller than 1/8", so you may want to keep this in mind.

If you decide to purchase a Jet drill, you could try Major Woodworking at Padstow in Sydney. http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/catalog/

A jet machine will cost you extra money, but the finish of the machine will be better, and this may hopefully equate to a more accurate machine as well. I have always found MME to be helpful, so be straight with them and ask for a straight opinion.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast