Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Some CNC router projects.

Rather than revive the long thread on my CNC router build I thought a quick one to show some of the various work I have been doing. I am reasonably confident about operating the software and machine now and have done heaps of jobs from engraving to making parts.

Here are a few photos of the work. I have lots more but they have people's names on them so it is not fair to plaster their name over the internet.

The funny shaped MDF thingo is a tool I made to remove a stuck lid on a pool filter and it worked a treat. Materials I have used include timber and mdf, aluminum, alucabond and delrin. The finish is good with little or no machining marks. I have been using V routers bits as well as small upcut spiral end mills.
    Cheers,
    Rod

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Now you just need to make up metal "makers marks" plates for all us forumites to sign our work with... your cnc will pay for itself in no time!

I have made an anodised circular disk 50mm diam with makers mark on it. A 50mm forstner bit sunk it into a grandfather clock so it was flush. Great thing about CNC is it is one setup and it does the engraving then cuts the part out. While all this is happening I am inside designing the next project or having a cuppa.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Gee, I wish you hadn't posted that.

Makes me realise how very very slack I am for not finishing the half built CNC router in my shed.

Seriously though it all looks great.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by rodm
    While all this is happening I am inside designing the next project or having a cuppa.
    Rod,
    I bet you don't leave it alone....just in case . come on now, tell the truth, you can't help but stay and watch while it continues to cut. I'm sure after all the effort that you have put into building it that you would be mesmerised just sitting there watching it moving around unaided by human intervention.

Kev M

Bob
    It is worth the effort. My machine runs almost every night and most of the weekend. I think if I started charging it would slow down but at the moment it is all good experience.

Kev
    It is very much like that at first but when the novelty wears off it is much better to be away from a screaming router and the dust. It has micro switches on all the axis and the machine shuts down if one of these is triggered so not much can go wrong (yeah right).
    Cheers,
    Rod

now you need to think of products you can wholesale in bulk lots
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Another idea I came up with. A desk name with a 36mm clock set in. The router does it all - engraving and the recess for the clock.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Red face

Rod,

Forgive me if I'm asking newbie questions. Am really interested in building a CNC or even a manual duplicating router setup.

Which routers available here is Australia are most suitable for these types of applications. The ones I've seen come from the US and I haven't as yet come across these particular Porter-Cable and Bosch models over here.

Cheers,
    BooF
    :eek:

BooF
    I am using a $49 Ozito 1/4 inch variable speed router. :eek:

The software tells me it has over 80 hrs use and it hasn't missed a beat. That is a lot of cutting if you think about it and while I am not keen on the throw away models I can't complain about this little fellah.

My CNC router build log is here
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=24299

Sorry but I don't know anything about duplicating routers.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Thumbs up

Hey Rod,

Stroof, mate - your CNC thread is off the planet!! Well done.

Have to check out the Ozito - want to carve/rout guitar and violin bodies accurately.

I've been looking to build one of the following units up and was looking at the type of router in these pics:

http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/carver/default.htm

Any comments here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    BooF
    :eek:

Very impressive achievement Rod!

Thanks BooF and Rev

I had a look at the router duplicator link. This is an elaborate jig for cutting shapes and I think I would prefer a hand held router and template myself.
    There are a lot of shortcomings in the design such as the vertical arc of the router as it moves down. Obviously the builder has gone to a lot of effort and expense to build it so it might be worth contacting him to find out a bit more.
    Cheers,
    Rod

To bring this post up to date here are a few more projects. These are all in aluminum of some sort or another. The grill emblems were for a local car club and I did two styles and about 30 emblems all up. Hoggy follow was a sign for a farm and is about 500 by 300mm from memory. The Jessie was just a small memorial plaque. The flaming thingo is a 300mm sub woofer cover for a car show - was never used in real life as it probably would have blown the speaker with back pressure. The black Truck_n_tuff was another car show bit. Half the battle for me is designing these as I am a sqaure box person and have very little artistic talent. Fortunately there is plenty of good art available and I can copy and paste.
    Cheers,
    Rod

And a couple of timber jobs. The Lazee dayz shingle is about 800 by 200mm and the other three jobs are around 200 to 300mm.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast