Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Soil pipe venting problem

Hi There,

Looking for some advice.

We live on the side of a steep hill, with neighbours above and below us (left/right). All houses appear to have a standard installation of 40mm pipes sticking through the roof, acting as vents to the soil pipes. These vents appear to continually leak a "sewage" smell that can get quite strong. Since we are on the hill, our vent pipe on the roof is 5m away from our neighbour's (above us) main balcony! She recently reported that often the smell will drive her in from the balcony.:mad:

I understand that these pipes are there to break any vacuum that might occur when flushing toilets etc. So to my simple mind it should be possible to install a flapper valve that is sealed until pulled open if any vacuum starts to form (opposite to the flapper valve you see on big diesel truck exhausts)

So the question is:
    - Is the installation of a flapper value a reasonable approach, if so are these valves available?
    - Is there another, standard, way of dealing with the smells from these vent pipes.

... all in the name of maintain good neighbour relations.

Cheers,

Sydneysider

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneysider01
    Hi There,

Looking for some advice.

We live on the side of a steep hill, with neighbours above and below us (left/right). All houses appear to have a standard installation of 40mm pipes sticking through the roof, acting as vents to the soil pipes. These vents appear to continually leak a "sewage" smell that can get quite strong. Since we are on the hill, our vent pipe on the roof is 5m away from our neighbour's (above us) main balcony! She recently reported that often the smell will drive her in from the balcony.:mad:

I understand that these pipes are there to break any vacuum that might occur when flushing toilets etc. So to my simple mind it should be possible to install a flapper valve that is sealed until pulled open if any vacuum starts to form (opposite to the flapper valve you see on big diesel truck exhausts)

So the question is:
    - Is the installation of a flapper value a reasonable approach, if so are these valves available?
    - Is there another, standard, way of dealing with the smells from these vent pipes.

Cheers,

Sydneysider
    Sounds like you need to get onto your water board about the smell.
    I wouldnt fit anything to the top of the pong pipe.
    The pong pipe is there to stop a build up of toxic gases, which it seems to be doing.

Tell the neighbour its their own crap they are smelling too.

Al

Hey Sydneysider.
    Can't help but l couldn't resist trying to think of a line to go with all those vent pipes . A vision of coseyness - best l can do without getting booted out .
    Just kidden . Can't help but lived in a situation like that with our last house.
    We all were either sucking up other peoples log fire fumes on cold days or everyone elses vent pipes on others .

Cheers
    MB

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneysider01
    Hi There,

Looking for some advice.

So the question is:

Cheers,

Sydneysider

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Sounds like you need to get onto your water board about the smell.
    I wouldnt fit anything to the top of the pong pipe.
    The pong pipe is there to stop a build up of toxic gases, which it seems to be doing.

Tell the neighbour its their own crap they are smelling too.

Al
    Or tell her to sit round the back .

Best I can think of is to extend the pipe but I dont know how high you will need to go. It could be the pipe is to relieve pressure, wouldn't be much fun having the smell bubbling through your s traps.

You could install a pilot burner at the top of the pipe, cause you may need a flame trap below it or ................
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.