Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 16 Metre Schooner

Hi All,

I need some advice on this boat:

http://www.publicbar.com/boat.html

I need some kind of estimate on its value here in Melbourne/Australia. I only have the details as they appear on the webpage. General estimates is all I'm after.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Boat@publicbar,

A 16' schooner hey, betcha can't skull that one dry too fast.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Welcome to this Forum

Looks like you have fitted out for day charter. You'll probably find a better market in Sydney. Is it in survey? In Oz thats requirement for paying passengers.

As to its worth, thats what someone's willing to pay. To get an idea google 'yacht brokers' and look at similar craft. Probably the Mooloolaba and Gold Coast ones first. They serve the Whitsunday charter business.

Good luck.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo
    G'day Boat@publicbar,

A 16' schooner hey, betcha can't skull that one dry too fast.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Was thinking that it's too big for my bar
    Every day above ground is a good day

Still drinking & driving, but not at the same time

Default Guess

In survey, $550,000?
    Not in survey, is alot harder to guess but $350,000-$450,000?.
    You asked for stab in the darks and that's mine.
    That looks like a very well maintained vessel, I would hate to think of the annual cost to keep it like that. Dont forget to factor this in when buying as those types of boats need regular/constant upkeep.
    Scotty

boat@publicbar,
    why do you need to know its value in Australia? For insurance purposes or for resale? The value is, as Bodgy has said, whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Be aware that if it does not meet survey requirements that its value will be considerably less than if it did. It looks like the vessel has been set up/used for day charter work. As such it is of value if someone can buy it here and start making money with it. If it isn't then you'll need to find a buyer that's prepared to spend the $$ to bring it to survey or a private buyer who's willing to buy it and convert it back to a private use vessel. Either way, it isn't as attractive as vessels which are available and ready for one role or the other.

Mick (who's assisted a few starry eyed yacht owners in bringing their boats to survey standards in the vain hope that they could make some money from their boats)
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford to keep it maintained the way it needs to be.

Cheers,

P (Just trying to be helpful, honest!)

I posted a reply here but it has disapparated.

Basically be aware that the boat is not rigged strongly enough for sailing - it is a motor boat now.

It is common for sailing yachts that are no longer strong enough to deal with sailing loads to fit a bigger motor and use them as pure motorboats. So the hull could be in poor condition.

Also it will have the deep draft of a sailing boat so won't be able to work in shallow water if you compare to other motor boats.

It is a great looking boat. But it would make a lot of sense to hire a marine surveyor to look over it. The $500 to 1000 that you spend now mght save you from making an expensive mistake. It will also provide a guide for the work that has to be done if you do go ahead and buy the boat.

I would ask the surveyor the specific question whether the hull is strong enough to go sailing. He will then look more carefully at the soundness of hte structure.

Best Regards
    Michael

Default schooner

I was adding some pics about our boat and came across your post.........just a comment but I assume it has never been rigged to sail? The masts dont look strong enough and I cant see any sign of booms or sails and by the look of the sterring station it has a lot more engine dials than nav instruments................so if you were going to price it I wouldnt price it against a sailing vessel............thoughts spring to mind of inadequate keels and all sorts of nasties....

you really need to know who built it, for what purpose, and if it is coming to aus........was it built for the conditionns/compliance here......

cheers

What Mik said!!! Get a survey value for money and money well invested... if your going to pay in excess of 100000 then the spending of 1000 will be well spent...

ooh and that goes for you to Myrnasboys get a survey... even a late one would tell you a few of the problems with your lady that you may have not found and with the ply gone and her belly open the surveyor could get right in there to those frames!!

oh and the masts? forget putting a sail to them!! :eek:
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!