Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WIP pics and info for "Segmented Eagle"

<HR style="COLOR: #c0aa94" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->Skew had ask if I would do a sorta WIP of the "Segmented Eagle" that I completed earlier this year. I took pics along the way of that piece to show how I do my segmented projects. This will end up being a long thread. I will post a few pics each day or so thru to completion of the "eagle". There are over 25 pics that I will be posting to complete the process. I will type info for each pic.
    The way I do my segmetation projects is not necessarily the right or wrong way...just my way. I tend to go after trying to get the realistic look during the shaping process that you see more so in Intarsia....therefore the shaping is the hardest part for me and takes the longest to complete. (also tends to be where I make my mistakes)
    Any questions or comments along the way are welcome.
    So here's the first set...
    Lin

Pic one-I used 3/4" aspen and used blue painter's tape under the pattern so the pattern would pull off easily with the tape. After each piece was cut I put a number on the back of the piece (you can see #9 and #10 are flipped upside down) to match the numbers I had put on the spare pattern before I started cutting. I also lightly sand any burrs from the back edges of each piece as I cut. Don't sand the back of the piece itself just edges a bit to assure a good fit. I used a #2R blade for cutting. The aspen is fairly soft wood so a #2R could be used and helped me get a fairly tight fit...(small kerf) One of the points to make here about segmentation versus intarisia is the fact that if your cuts are not exactly on the line the pieces will still fit back together because you have cut it out from one piece of wood puzzle style.

Pic two-shows what I decided to take off each piece to layer it for depth to show the right wing as being furthest away and so on....at this point in reality I messed up on how much to take it down on that right wing. The bottom of the right wing should be taken down the 1/2" you see but the top two pieces should have only been taken down 3/8". This error in my thinking cause me to say a lot of bad words when I realized my mistake...After I had sanded them down I ended up having to raise those top two pieces to make it look right....shows I am still learning.

Pic three-I measured and drew myself a line along the edge of the pieces to give myself a guideline for sanding to....

Pic four-shows a pic of the entire eagle laid out on the spare pattern before I start the sanding process

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks great Lin, look forward to the progress of the pics. Wouldnt mind trying that one myself one day.

For someone like me who doesnt have a drum sander or whatever to get the different levels after cutting from the one piece. Could you make it all in the thickness of the thinnest pieces and build the rest up with pop sticks or something?
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Brett, If you don't have a way to take a lot of wood off....Inner pieces can be raised with just about any type of wood...ply or what ever on hand...the outer pieces are the ones that will be seen and any wood that would be used to raise them would have to be cut exactly the same on the part that would be seen and the same type of wood used. Even thou I did use a drum sander on a few of these pieces I could've done it all with a pnuematic sander. Many segmentation projects I've seen done by others don't have the layering that I'm doing. Many just drop a few pieces down 1/8" or raise a few 1/8" and round over the edges......I think I'm working my way up to trying out an intarsia project someday...I have done one...a little 6 piece dolphin...I did fine with the cutting but I really don't have all those neat woods in arms reach and am not ready to part with a ton of $$ to buy all those neat colors of woods. Even the WRC that JGR uses isn't something I've found much of in my area....Some at places like Lowes but they are high priced on their wood and their WRC doesn't look all that great for what they are asking for it...This pattern is not a hard one to do...It's only arond 21 pieces or so...I think it could be cut from 1/2" wood and not so much taken down as what I did...and look fine.
    I always use the 3/4" aspen cause I have a place that I can buy large paneled pieces of it so any pattern I might want to do would fit...
    You should try it.....you may find you enjoy this type of scrolling also...more work in the finihsing part of it...but each one has a lot of yourself in it....totally one of a kind type thing..
    Lin

Im currently doing a small segmented mirror, but the eagle looks like one i'd really like to do one day.
    Brett

Brett, Would love to see some pics of your mirror in progress....
    I can tell you that this eagle is one of the easier segmented pieces I have done. There are lots of patterns out there for eagles but they all have you cutting the feathers out individually....This one the feathers are shown using veing lines. After cutting them with the #2R blade.....I recut them with a #9R blade to widen the lines out and keep the dust from clogging the line up...So much easier that cutting a shaping tons and tons of feathers....The original pattern for this eagle had another line across each wing so there would be three layers to the wing. I elected to drop one of the lines when I did it. Its a Scott Geilish pattern....I will look up the link and post it within this thread.
    Lin

Default More WIP Pics

Six more pics and info on how I did the segmented eagle.
    Lin

Pic five-shows how I set up the right wing for sanding. I use a sanding shim which I cut from cheap junk 1/4" ply. (I just held the pieces together and drew around them and cut it out..doesn't have to be perfectly cut...just needs to hold the pieces) Then I use two sided thin plastic carpet tape on the back of the four pieces and even little pieces of the tape along the inside of the pieces to hold them together if needed. You will be surprised at how well this thin plastic tape holds. Generally you don't want to leave it sit on your pieces overnight. Makes them hard to get apart the longer it sits.

Pic six- shows the sanding shim attached to the backside of the right wing pieces. You can see the line I drew to give me a guide on how much to take this set of pieces down.

Pic seven-shows the front side of the right wing with the sanding shim attached.

Pic eight-shows me started to sand this set using a pneumatic sander. I did not check how much air was in the sander (how firm it was) nor which grit sleeve I had on it from previous use. Looking backwards....I should have tried a lower grit sleeve and pumped up the sander a bit to make it firmer. Sanding it this way was going to take a long time becasue I didn't do the checks...(ya know one of my CRS moments) so I came up with another idea to get the wood off this set quicker.....

Pic nine-I decided to run this set thru the drum sander using a 60 grit belt to take the wood down the 1/2" ....This was a good idea had I thought it thru totally before jumping the gun....I should've stopped when the pieces were 3/8" thick and I would have save myself a lot of time in fixing my mistake....The next pic shows why I over did it.

Pic ten-This is the right wing set laid into place after the many trips thru the drum sander.....Whoops....I saw it as soon as I laid them into place...The upper two pieces need to be 1/8" higher than the bottom...Now I have to cut accurately (or at least the outer part that will show has to be cut accrately) a piece of 1/8" aspen to raise the top two pieces....I didn't have any 1/8" aspen so had to resaw and plane and sand down a piece to do this....Cost me another couple hours or so fixing my error.

Brett and any other that are interested in this pattern,
    Here's a link for the site that this pattern came from. The name of the pattern is "Golden Eagle". I dropped one of the lines on each wing when I cut it and made it into a "Bald Ealge" by changing the colors.
    Lin
    http://www.intarsia.org/index.asp

Five more pics and info to go with them...
    Lin

Pic 11-I used a sanding shim on the left wing and then the head and body area. I tapered the left wing as a whole to go behind the body and shaped the outer edges and the tips then took off the upper two pieces to sand more off the bottom to give it the layered feathers look...I will do the same with the right side with out the tapering after the glue has dried on the piece I had to cut to raise it back up... The head and body I sanded as one till about 1/8" was taken off then took the head off and continue taking the body down a bit more...then just the body itself down a bit more...leaving the leg and shoulder a bit higher.

Pic 12-Rough shaping along the way as I layering the pieces...

Pic 13-Pic from another angle to how how the left wing is tapered behind the body

Pic 14-Close up of the tapering and shaping on tail and body area so far.

Pic 15-shows how I know where to sand to when I round over the edges. Draw a pencil line then roll it down to meet the piece below...Placing the piece back in every so often to check your work.

That sure is looking good, the different thicknesses, tapering all working tegether well
    Brett

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

looking good...good thread btw
    S T I R L O

Failed to mention in the pics info....The sanding tool you see in pic 11 and 13 is called a "Bow Sander". I have a two styles of them and have found them to be a great asset to have for segmentation and/or intarsia. They really got a work out with this eagle project. There were lots of areas I couldn't get to with the pneumatic sanders and the bow sander did the job and fairly quickly also considering it is used by hand.
    Lin

Thanks for pointing that out Lin, I hadn't noticed it but now that I have, I can see I gotta get one. You're also posting more pix than I saw in the last WIP, it's interesting to see some of the "tween" stages. Good stuff!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Got a plan for a bow sander somewhere, on the list of things to make one day.
    Brett

Brett, You need to break donw and make it....You will find it an invaluable tool once you do and use it...I use mine when I making bandsaw boxes also...and have grab it for other uses besides the segmentation.
    Lin

A few more pics and info...before I work a couple twelve hour days...
    Lin

Pic 16, 17, 18 and 19 all are different angle shots after all shaping has been done..with the exception of the eye....I did raise and round it but it looks like his eye is bulging out....I didn't get a pic after I fixed it but what was done was I sanded both pieces down some and left the outer eye almost flush with the head and barely rolled the edge...and the pupil ended up being just a hint above the outer eye and then it looked right . All that's left to sanding now is hand sanding all pieces with 320 grit then next pic will be of the coloring..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast