Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finding table saws in NZ

Hi all, my first post here but I've been lurking for a while - what a great resource.

I'm trying to find a table saw in NZ, but in my price range there seem to be very few to choose from, and the few there are seem to be different only in their paint work and badge - same model numbers and otherwise identical.

I've seen the recommendations here for the TSC-10HB, but this is outside my budget. I've only found a couple of reviews here for the MJ2325B which is more in my range. Does anyone else have any views on this machine?

Also, does anyone in NZ have any recommendations for where to shop for a table saw - I've been to Carba-tec, and they were very good and helpful, and the local Powertool Centre who weren't as much. But that's about all I can find that sell table saws in this range (around $1000). The only other saws I can find are tooline, but the fence on that looked rickety, and the top wasn't exactly flat.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi amorangi. Welcome to here.

How much to spend on a table saw huh? It's probably easier to figure out how womken think. I have a 2325 from Hare and Forbes over here, but it's the same thing Timbecon and Carbatec sell, just different colour as you point out. I don't get a lot of time in the workshop at the moment, and I haven't gotten anywhere near the level of expertise as others here. As such, the 2325 suits me, particularly given the price difference between that and the 10HB.

The type of work I am doing is fairly straight forward and the degree of complexity is low relative to others here. I will probably change that over time, but so far the 2325 suits what I need.

Others will disagree and say get the best you can afford straight up. That has some merit but we're all looking for best bang for the buck, and a 2 or 3 HP dusty for instance, for the price difference between one major tool and another could swing the balance.

Table saws have a pretty good second hand market if they are looked afetr, so if the 2325 means you get productive sooner, and can buy a couple of other essentials as a result, then go for it.

Since I set mine up and aligned it correctly after I installed it, I have had no problem. Table was flat, blade was true to the slots without adjustment, and it works very well, for what I need.

Good luck with the decision

Howdy mate. Yeah this is a good resource. learnt a lot from the chaps here.

As you are in Auckland you could try these two places as a starter.

http://www.macma.co.nz/

or

http://www.chevpac.co.nz/webshop/CHVHome.csp

I have a list of others that you might look at here
    http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewto...forum=woodwork
    oh and feel free to sign up too (Shameless plug )
    Dust Mite...Terrorising noses for the discerning...
    Pirongia Pens & Woodcraft

Personally this is the one I would go http://www.macma.co.nz/tsc-10lb-dl_table-saw.html.
    They quoted me $1195.00 inc GST but the price may have changed since then.

The Amac saw I bought from R&S was $990.00 inc gst but they do ocassionally special it at about $800.00. Its a good 2hp saw. Well made and takes a hammering and comes with the router fitting in the right side table as standard.

for or perhaps the one I bought from Robertson and Sinclair.
    http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/KiwiGremlin/
    Dust Mite...Terrorising noses for the discerning...
    Pirongia Pens & Woodcraft

[quote=amorangi]Hi all, my first post here but I've been lurking for a while - what a great resource.

I've only found a couple of reviews here for the MJ2325B which is more in my range. Does anyone else have any views on this machine?

There is quite a bit of stuff on the MJ2325B on the forum. Late last year there were comments about a "bad batch" with tables out of true. There is also a suggestion they won't take a dado head. I ended up buying the TSC10-HB with no regrets - well, apart from the budget going out the window. (Oh - yes - guard, anti-kickback pawls - but that is small potatoes compared to accuracy and cutting capacity).

Sooner or later someone on the Forum will mention Triton - that is another approach. I have seen some on Trade Me - all complete. Good luck

My preference is the TKU from Jacks in Auck.
    $2000 3hp motor,don't look much,but is brilliant.

http://www.jacks.co.nz/panelsaws.html