Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to calculate stair headroom

I want to add head room calculations to my stair calculator http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs But I'm not real sure about the lower point to measure from. I was going to add inputs for the opening length and floor thickness, as in the drawing below, but should headroom be measured from the top line of the stringer (as diagram) or from the next highest tread? Am I on the right track here? I also thought if the headroom was below regulation, I'd mark it on the drawing. What is the minimum headroom (in Australia) All suggestions welcome (Don't forget, I'm a blocklayer)
    Thanks for any input.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Blocklayer
    ..............All suggestions welcome (Don't forget, I'm a blocklayer)
    Thanks for any input.................
    Blocklayer,
    go and have another beer. (well you did say any suggestions and you are a blocklayer)

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

If I have another beer now, that'll be 2 at once I'm drinking. But there's 6 cases of Tiger draught in the loungeroom, so that might be a good idea.

I don't think you can give an outright minimum above say 2m unless you take some of the following into account..
    Situation ie is this a shopping centre, a home, or a factory etc.
    What's the upstairs room, ie another floor, bedroom, an attic/storeroom etc,
    How narrow are the stairs and then do you expect someone might want to carry a large object up the stairs like a double bed.
    Are you after functional use only or do you want the stairs to look visually balanced? If the staircase is a wide one then it should be balanced by appropriate height
    A good guide for general functional use might be the "standard" height of an internal doorway for that building.

The height above the tread is given as a minimum under the BCA. I am 99.9% sure of the value however I don't want to give out the wrong information. I will check the BCA tomorrow if there hasn't been a response.

The clearance will be measured above the tread but you must make sure that the height clearance isn't reduced by the next tread.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Blocky,

I'll let Stinky find the actual answer (which is in the 1950 - 2040 sort of range ), but don't forget that it's a bit trickier than that.

You need to have clearance at right angles to the flight more or less, as well as directly over the stair, to save that nasty forehead bumping feeling!

cheers,
    P

Thanks for the info. I added the headroom calcs and just have it display the measurement in red with an ! if it's under 2000. I also left it as the measurement to the top of the stringer vertically down from the edge of the upper floor, so it should always be more to the tread. (better over than under?). You need to check the 'Show Headroom' box to make it draw the upper floor and show the extra measurements.
    Is this the way it should be, or does it need fixing?

http://www.blocklayer.com/Stairs

You've got to believe I've just spent all day drawing up a split level house and when I did the stair details I find I'm going to bang my head on the way up. Bugger! Thanks Blocklayer, between you and I we shall get it right.

Blocklayer ....
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

The minimum head height is 2.0m measured from the nosing line. The line is as you have drawn, touching the point of each riser/tread.

For standard stairs (ie not spiral):

Riser (R)
    max 190mm
    min 115mm

Going (G)
    max 355mm
    min 240mm

Slope relationship (2R+G)
    max 700
    min 550

Thresholds:

A landing is not required if the change in level is max 3 risers or max 570mm.
    If the change in level is more than 3 risers or more than 570mm a 750mm min landing has to be placed at the door threshold.

I hope this helps as you will need to make some alterations to your caluclator.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Thank you Sir, so 1500 isn't quiet enough eh? That works out at 2 treads under the bulkhead, 3 at a pinch with a 2400 ceiling height, is that correct.

It all depends on your total rise and tread depth. Generally we work with 2700mm ceiling and 300mm subfloor space giving a total rise of 3000mm.

If you want your first floor to protrude over the staircase you can generally extend over the first 2 or possibly 3 treads. You can get fancy and rack the edge of your first floor to comply with the 2m rule but it gets fiddly.

Thanks Sir Stinkalot.
    I've changed it so rise or run selections outside min~max limit, and headroom under 2000 show in red.