Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

4 pin doesnt have an earth, if i can remember correctly

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryq
    Did it fit without modification? And was the old motor a Baldor, by chance?

And what are you doing with a unisaur? Shouldn't you have a saw that slides?

Greg
    Yeah, yeah, I wish I had a slider...
    But no it didn't fit without some modification. I'm in the process at the moment of getting the pulley drilled out (from 19mm to 25mm) for the new shaft, and I have to make up some adaptors to bolt on the new motor to the Unisaw trunnion. Alas, no Baldors here; the original "Delta" motor is made by Marathon Electrics, and it is a beauty (despite the wrong winding). Got any advice on what I should do with it? I was thinking about making a spindle sander or something similar that might not take too much grunt to overheat it again?? Regards

The 4 pin plug has no neutral.

three phase motors are (generaly) smaller, cheaper, hve less to go wrong with them than an equavelent single phane motor.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

My bad, lol yer ur right, No Neutral

Not having an electrician handy to ask this, does anybody know if it is possible & legal to have both 3 phase outlets & 1 phase outlets sharing the SAME 3 phase circtuit, or do you have to separate them into different circuits? I am assuming that you would wire up the 1 phase outlet using any 1 of the 3 hot wires available in the circuit.

:eek: :eek:
    You certainly can not have mixed single phase and 3 phase outlets on the same breaker / circuit.

While this is an over simplifacation of the regs this is the way it should be.
    any single phase 15 amp or over, one outlet, one breaker.
    any three phase one outlet, one isolator, one breaker.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Thanks Soundman, knew I could rely on you.

By the way, do you happen to have the clause number from the Australian Standards where it talks about the number of three phase outlets on a circuit?

I have read the wiring rules during a very basic intro electricians course years ago (we didn't cover three phase, but I am an expert in single phase ), but can't recall reading any rules about three phase in there. I still have got a copy, so can look it up.

And besides the legal requirements for number of GPOs on a circuit etc, could it theoretically be done?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDuck
    Not having an electrician handy to ask this, does anybody know if it is possible & legal to have both 3 phase outlets & 1 phase outlets sharing the SAME 3 phase circtuit, or do you have to separate them into different circuits? I am assuming that you would wire up the 1 phase outlet using any 1 of the 3 hot wires available in the circuit.
    you're sort of in the ball park. in terms of a shed, if it had three phase and single phase power, it would have the three phase cabling running to the shed, and thats it. All three phases would be used for three phase :eek: and any or all of the three phases could be used on their own as a single phase circuit. In terms of circuit breakers and switchboards, they three phase circuits would all be protected by three phase circuit breakers and the single phase circuits would be protected by single phase circuit breakers.

to finally answer your question, it wouldn't all be on one circuit but it could all be provided from one switchboard.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuck
    Yeah, yeah, I wish I had a slider...
    But no it didn't fit without some modification. I'm in the process at the moment of getting the pulley drilled out (from 19mm to 25mm) for the new shaft, and I have to make up some adaptors to bolt on the new motor to the Unisaw trunnion. Alas, no Baldors here; the original "Delta" motor is made by Marathon Electrics, and it is a beauty (despite the wrong winding). Got any advice on what I should do with it? I was thinking about making a spindle sander or something similar that might not take too much grunt to overheat it again?? Regards
    Marathon makes nice motors. I'd consider using it for a cyclone dust extractor (I'm assuming 3 h.p.). The 50 Hz won't be a problem if you get a properly sized impellor. That or the spindle sander, or for bandsaw power.

Greg

Hi Greg, I think you may have just posted that in the wrong thread???

[quote In terms of circuit breakers and switchboards, they three phase circuits would all be protected by three phase circuit breakers and the single phase circuits would be protected by single phase circuit breakers. quote]

Yes, that is of course the way it would actually be done - I would not contemplate mxing them up in reality. But I am still curious if it would be theoretically possible to take one of the actives, the N & E from a three phase circuit and use them for a 240V single phase outlet. There is suppossed to be 240V between any one active & N, so that should work. Might be problems in sharing the N though.

I think that quote was from last week, referencing some off-topic aspect of this thread. LuckyDuck has a left-over single phase motor of good pedigree that's looking for a new job, hence the comment.

Greg

[quote In terms of circuit breakers and switchboards, they three phase circuits would all be protected by three phase circuit breakers and the single phase circuits would be protected by single phase circuit breakers. quote]

Yes, that is of course the way it would actually be done - I would not contemplate mxing them up in reality. But I am still curious if it would be theoretically possible to take one of the actives, the N & E from a three phase circuit and use them for a 240V single phase outlet.
    Yes, it is. But if the three phase is of the locally manufactured variety, from a rotary or static phase converter, you can drag down the voltage of one of the legs by tapping off an additional single phase demand.

Yes, that is of course the way it would actually be done - I would not contemplate mxing them up in reality. But I am still curious if it would be theoretically possible to take one of the actives, the N & E from a three phase circuit and use them for a 240V single phase outlet. There is suppossed to be 240V between any one active & N, so that should work. Might be problems in sharing the N though.
    yeah, it would work, and there are no problems in sharing the neutral. a neutral, by law, is not allowed to be switched, so regardless of how many different circuits there are in an installation the neutral is continuous. the only problem with taking an active and adding a neutral is that you would now need two to three kilowatt/hour meters for the supply to guage how much power you're using. with purely 3 phase equipment it's a balanced load, so you can get away with one meter

[QUOTE=thatirwinfella]

the only problem with taking an active and adding a neutral is that you would now need two to three kilowatt/hour meters for the supply to guage how much power you're using. with purely 3 phase equipment it's a balanced load, so you can get away with one meter
    Is knowing the power usage that important to the hobby user? I can see reasons for industry, but for my small shop, I rely on a hand-held diagnostic meter. I wonder now what I'm missing.

Greg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast