Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks for the replies. Okay, I think we have established that it would work. Now I am curious if it ever gets done in reality, or is this something an electrician would never contemplate doing? And is it legal or not? I still would like to find a clause in the Standards which has a ruling about this.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryq
    Marathon makes nice motors. I'd consider using it for a cyclone dust extractor (I'm assuming 3 h.p.). The 50 Hz won't be a problem if you get a properly sized impellor. That or the spindle sander, or for bandsaw power.

Greg
    Thanks Greg, I was thinking about a spindle sander but perhaps I'll have to explore this possibility in another thread! (I've already got excellent dust extraction.) Luckyduck.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDuck
    Thanks for the replies. Okay, I think we have established that it would work. Now I am curious if it ever gets done in reality, or is this something an electrician would never contemplate doing? And is it legal or not? I still would like to find a clause in the Standards which has a ruling about this.
    They must teach you well up there!

Three thread hijack attempts rebuffed without even raising a sweat!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryq

Is knowing the power usage that important to the hobby user? I can see reasons for industry, but for my small shop, I rely on a hand-held diagnostic meter. I wonder now what I'm missing.

Greg
    well your supply company is still going to have to charge you for power used. Perhaps you're thinking of power factor, rather than power used?

the only regs i can find that may be of use are 3.5.2a&b which is about the minimum size of the neutral conductor for multiphase circutis. and 5.5.2.2 which is the minimum size of an earthing conductor. because you'll be adding extra load to the neutral and earth you may have to upgrade them.

Hypothetically, if you're going to see this through to physical form it would be easier to run a single 2 core and earth cable from a single phase circuit breaker to your socket, then to run a single core cable from a circuit breaker AND a neutral and earth from somewhere else.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123