Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hydraulic Block Splitter

Comrades,

Well the neighbors have told me that my efforts in splitting Jarrah blocks for the fire has set up such bad vibrations that it is cracking their walls! I don't really want to annoy them to the extent that they call the council, just in case they pay me a visit. Can't really afford them having a look around if you know what I mean. So, still need to split blocks, how to do it a bit quieter? I know, get a hydraulic block splitter!

Hang on, I'm originally a scot and spending money is .... painful .... at times. Why not build one, how hard can it be! I've got some ideas, but would like to know if anyone has done this (successfully) or has aby plans for one.

All help and (positive) suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Paul H

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You burn jarrah? Heathen
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

It sounds to me like you just need a really big chopping block (ie 750mm diameter and maybe the same high) mounted on some serious shock absorbing material (3 car suspension springs should do it). The big wooden chopping block will act as the counter momentum device so your axe will still chop the wood and the shock absorbing material will stop the walls cracking. Cheaper than buying a block splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Comrades,

Hang on, I'm originally a scot and spending money is .... painful .... at times. Why not build one, how hard can it be! I've got some ideas, but would like to know if anyone has done this (successfully) or has aby plans for one.

All help and (positive) suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Paul H
    Build one by all means Paul but make sure you can do fair dinkum welds and get the hydraulics right. A couple of blokes not to many miles from here made their own a few years ago and the thing blew apart killing one and seriously injuring the other. Don't take this as a negative suggestion, just be carefull.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Well the neighbors have told me that my efforts in splitting Jarrah blocks for the fire has set up such bad vibrations that it is cracking their walls!
    what are you using Paul, a 2nd gold hand stamper?
    I can't see how using a hand block splitter and a 300–450mm wooden block (to lift the block being split to the right height) would set up any sort of significant vibration, especially given that Perth sits on sand.

If the Jarrah's really tough you could resort to steel wedges and a sledge,

or

go full out and get youself a chain saw (insert the noise of a reving two-stroke) and cut your blocks into small enough pieces — no vibration — just be careful of how you secure the blocks before attacking them with a powered saw.

ian

No probs there - SuperJaws Was doing this a couple of weeks ago - as stable a platform as you'd want.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Thank you one and all.

I agree, the amount of vibration is not enough to cause wall cracking, but since I did not do any drawings for my workshop, you can understand why I don't want to draw the attention of the local council. The idea of using a chainsaw is similarily "unwise".

I managed to get hold of a 6m by 3m accoustic enclosure from a former place of work, with the idea that my working away with various power tools would then cause less upset to the neighbors. If it escalates I will have to point out that if I have to demolish this then the amount of legally produced noise will increase at least four fold in the tin shed that will replace it!

I thought about a shock mounted chopping block, but I don't know if even that would satisfy them!

Thanks for the tip about the exploding block splitter. Not seen as negative. This is why I'm looking for successful constructions.

Cheers
    Paul H

how about a GMC Logsplitter. 2HP motor and plenty of splitting power. Two hand operation for safety reasons. Lots of modifications done on the splitting wedge to ensure it does not bend/break.
    Retails at $400 with a 2 yr replacement warranty, save your back and your time.

Eagle
    Eagle
    I am not young enough to know everything.

dunno if the gmc would handle jarra
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Watched one splitting redgum last weekend, but it does have a limited log size, about 18" long.
    Rated at 4 tonnes.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

If it'll split redgum it should split jarra,

hmmm,
    might get one for the scout camp,
    all I need now is a benevolent donor.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Dear Mr GMC,

I am but a poor humble Scout Leader
    Insert rest of grovel here
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    how about a GMC Logsplitter. 2HP motor and plenty of splitting power. Two hand operation for safety reasons. Lots of modifications done on the splitting wedge to ensure it does not bend/break.
    Retails at $400 with a 2 yr replacement warranty, save your back and your time.

Eagle
    Must admit I'm quite interested in one of these - 'specially after an afternoon of chainsaw, sledgehammer & wedges and a log splitter (axe type). Should get a pile of logs to the local Bunnings and get some of those demonstrators to sell its merits - a pallet would go real quick me thinks
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Dear Mr GMC,

I am but a poor humble Scout Leader
    Insert rest of grovel here
    Didn't think of that might try it.

I usually go grovelling for the money to buy things.

Who would you suggest I grovel to for a new rideon mower??
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    If it'll split redgum it should split jarra,

hmmm,
    might get one for the scout camp,
    all I need now is a benevolent donor.
    Don't know about south of the border down Mexico way, but here in NSW there's a state government program that provides grants of up to $3000 for capital equipment used by volunteer organisations. Saw an add asking for applications the other day.

ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast