Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Cheap MDF supplies in Perth

Hi,
    Where is the cheapest places in Perth that supplies solid 18mm MDF wood?
    Would prefer SOR. It can be either 2nd hand or new. I would probably waste alot, as I'm quite a newbie at this stuff.

thanks for any help

cheers,Chau

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

MDF? ugghhh gag cough!

So if your new and new to timber working why use mdf and make mediocre when you can easily get some REAL wood and do something spectacular!!

"good solid 18mm MDF?" and "I would probably waste alot, as I'm quite a newbie at this stuff" MATE!!! Let me help you out

"good solid 18mm MDF" dont bother okay for the price your going to pay even for "cheep" stuff which you had better learn the word "shyte" stuff instead of saying "cheep" cause it will be pure shyte... but for the price you could... shudder... head to bunnings and buy a nice load of pine or what they term "tassie oak" and make something you will love and enjoy the look of along with actually making it... have you tasted 18mm MDF yet? gak mate true gak!! seriously!! tastes like shyte... oooh and your going to cut it sand it etc arent you? so your gonna taste it

Me? Id rather the taste of crapiata pine than mdf anyday and the results of anything you make will be better.

As a newbie mate... dont let anyone put you off even me... if you want to persist and definantly must have 18mm crap cheep mdf go for your life and enjoy!... but as a newbie I want to help if I can... solid timber is far better to use than mdf far better to use than ply and far better to see the results of

Even if new at this you want the results to be pleasing and give pleaure right? so do you honestly believe mdf is going to achieve that? thought not!

18mm has its uses dont get me wrong!! like work bench tops like tops for router tables perhaps anything really heavy duty where you need a dead flat surface with no joins or wont mind marring is okay for mdf... but if your going to make something

if your planning on making a nice coffee table for the girlfriend or the flat or the house or whatever something you can stand back and say "HEY!! I made that with my own hands" you could whack together something out of mdf... no worries... but your pleasure and joy of it will be short lived... try and make whatever it is out of some timber and believe me it will look great for a long long time and the pleasure repeats itself as often as you see it

So sorry old mate I wont put you onto any mdf supliers in Perth... timber young fella!! TIMBER

T... Terribly
    I... Impressive
    M... Mind
    B... Bending
    E... Environmental
    R.... Resource

MDF

M... Muck
    D... Dung
    F... Fooyung

Cheers... ooh and welcome!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Very eloquent WD
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Unless:
    a: it's for a jig or shop tool, then it's more stable than solid timber (esp crapiata), but ply may be better
    2: it's to be veneered (not sure I would want to do that though :eek

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Bassoon
    Unless:
    a: it's for a jig or shop tool, then it's more stable than solid timber (esp crapiata), but ply may be better
    2: it's to be veneered (not sure I would want to do that though :eek
    See!!!

M... Muck
    D... Dung
    F... Fooyung

Personally for jigs and shop tools Id go for the ply betterer by far... although having said that MDF for a perfectly flat smooth top to a bench is a good thing but thats the only concession I will give to the stuff!!... mmm although!! I used ply myself even though I was given a couple of sheets of mdf... and Id much rather see this young fella go get himself an old solid core door to use as a bench top than see him use mdf... such stuff that I had and generously and graciously gave to my DAS future son-in-law whos gonna regret becoming my DAS future son-in-law unless he gets his DAS head on the right way!!

ahem... mdf ideal substance to give to DAS future son-in-laws while beguiling them with how wonderous the stuff is... believe anything DAS future son-in-laws

Otherwise I stick with my first comments... get some timber mate!! and that I wont mind referrin you to some good sources but mdf? nope I wont encourage its use to anyone let alone a new woodbutcher

ahem... DAS? Dumb As Shyte
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Soru,
    Welcome to the forum. WD makes a solid case for solid timber, but if it is MDF you want, then keep asking as someone from WA will be able to tell you.

Shane is a good woodworker & I am sure he feels he has given you good advise, but there is room in My shed for MDF, infact, I bought 15 sheets of it the other day. I will be making cupboards for my shed so I can give a lot of gear on the floor a new home. The kids may not fight over them when I kick the bucket, but they will be quick & Easyto make, cheap to build @ $20 / sheet & my shed will be better for the time & money spent.

Other materials may have been better, but as I said, $20 ea for 16 & 18mm sheets, MDF will do me.

Maybe if you let us know what you plan to have a go at, somebody may offer an Idea that may be cheaper than MDF if price was your main consideration, but as I said before, if it is MDF you want, stick to your guns & some one will help.

Failing that, look for a manufacturing company that uses heaps of MDF & see if you can buy some coversheets.

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

World Wide Timber Traders do 18mm MDF for about $31 a sheet. If you buy a few (4-5+) you might talk them into a trade price of a few dollars less per sheet.

If you are going to veneer it just make sure to give the suraface a light sand to remove the waxy crap on the surface.

Must say I use "real" wood for anything that I consider will be around for a while but painted or temporary items of furniture (typically for growing baby) MDF can be a cheap resource.

Mark

And as they say... there goes the neighbourhood!

Indeed theres places where mdf is an option for some people... I used ply for my shed cupboards and used ply again for kids things... and use timber for everything else!

Okay as has been said and Im in total agreeance here by the way if its what you MUST have or even if its what you WANT to use then by all means go for it and thats a good link from Mark

ooh and Im not a good woodworker in fact as a woodworker I make a fantastic truck driver! ooooh thats right I AM!!! ...Its just I like wood... timber... ala from tree to slab to whatever! not tree to mill to crusher to pulper to glue factory to you sadly those buggars have no conscience and pulp anything Jarrah Tuart and any other friggin timber they can get their mongrel hands on!!

Ohh yes!! I feel a sudden flashback to my old demonstation days... long hair to me bum caftan bright colors oooh indeed a new song I shall begin to sing instead of "No Uranium mining in Kakado" (didnt work anyways ) and I ended up working at Nabarlek so so much for that theory eh?!!... ANYWAYS!!! The new mantra will be...

"Dont support your local pulp mill by solid timber" followed by a resounding "solid lumber only!!"

aahh I can hear it now the sweet smell of maryja... eerr protests

mmm soru? you there mate?

Just wanted to let you know that Im a bit of a flamin galah at times and tend to wander off on all sorts of tangents... no harm ment by my comments old son just me bein me is all and pullin yer proverbial leg

As for me comments about bein an wood worker and truck driver... well to correct that... Im whats known as an ARTIST and as such am FRICKIN FLAMIN BRILLIANT at everything I do all you gotta do is ask me and heck I wont hessiate to tell you!

Im an artist... well I reckon I am... Im a writer a comedian a counsellor an underground truck driver total wooden boat nut a father of 8 which also means I have the added benifit of being a total lunatic and I muck about with wood among other things... so if I get a tad wired at times just sit back and let it flow over yer cause mate I mean no harm

whispered hint... solid wood is better!

soru,
    Try your local bunnies, 2400x1200 x 18 sheets $29
    Peter

There you go soru!! Cheers Peter

Hey look!! theyre movin in time with me guitar baby!! the bouncin boobies are boingin in time with me baby guitarist you go kiddo!!

Hey Dingo,
    We both have rhythm

How the hell can you tell? There is no way to see WD avatar when you are looking ay PJ's
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

Laminex Group
    Bibra Lake

Ahh, Dingo at his mad rambling best. Gotta love him....but why did you sign up just to dredge up a 3 year old thread?