Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What method to attach gyp to studs

Hi just wondering i was goin to use wall plugs and screws to attach the studs to the ceiling ready for gyprocking, now just questioning myself of the secureness of this. Also thought of just hiring a hilti gun for half a day but dont know if it is worth it as it is only 1 ceiling in need of studs, Um whatcha reckon....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have recently done a large 16m x 4m ceiling in our house (reno job) and I had hardwood beams in need of battens. The plasterer told me to use screws and the whole thing came up a treat, it's more than strong enough. In addition I also used liquid nails. In another, smaller, room I had pine rafters and did the same method. Just make sure you level the whole thing by using a stringline across the battens, and inserting shims of ply etc. It makes it that much easier to pin the sheets afterwards and to get a nice finish. I chickened out and had the tradies do the plastering, and the place looks better than new.

Goodgrief I must be a real primitive, stringline, pine battens and 3" nails is all I've used on the odd handyman job over the years. FWIW the whole house is done that way and nothing has moved in 25 years, mind you I wasn't the one that put it up.

John

I'd use Rondo channels, they are cheaper than 70x35 pine studs, are straight and you simply attach the clips at the required spaing and clip it is place. Fixing thin material is also a lot easier than fixing thick material.

Cheers
    Pulse

Another factor i forgot to mention is the ceiling is solid concrete, so just nails is kind of out of the question, as for rondo i ve heard of it but never seen it, is the concept to screw a clip at both ends then a beam clips into that?

Both ends and regular centres. You can buy Rondo or similar at most plasterboard distributors (CSR/BORAL etc)
    Young kids cancels shed time

Hi,

Use a clip part number 237 from rondo or similar clip from other manufactures. With furring channel.
    The clip is fixed to the concrete using a concrete anchor. Nylon anchors are ok to use. 6.5mm diameter is best.

The channel clip straight into the clip.

Use a chalk line to position the clips. Clips are spaced at 120mm centers.

They can be levelled using packers under the clip.

Cheers

Rod Dyson

Plaster Brokers