Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Extendable dining table mechanism

I was wondering whether someone could tell me where I could get or how to make one of those old school extendable dining table mechanisms where extensions for either end is housed under the main table top and when needed slide out with the middle section remaining in place? They were generally made with those ugly brown laminate tops.

Any help or suggestions appreciated...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Here you go Jonga This might not be what you are after, but its an old traditional way. posted this ages ago but will bump it up for you and some newer members. Just follow the letters and numbers

The blocks at the side are a cut-away of what the extension rail/joinery looks like

The main runners, sections 1, 2, and 3 are usually 65 x 30 mm and best in a straight grain 1/4 sawn timber that is dry and stable. When cutting the rabbets do all three sections then adjust the saw/shaper a smidgeon ( 0.2mm ) on numbers 1 and 3 and do an extra pass so when you glue in the long tenons both sides into no 2 they slide well. The trick is to get it very snug with "no" slop at all.

Make the runner section first and make sure it runs smooth as you possibly can. I will rub a small amount of paraffin wax along the tenons "after" its running smooth.

After you have completed the runners, place them as in the closed photo and attach securely to the table on one end each only. Section A to one end, and section C to the other end. Section B is not secured as it runs free.

On the bottom where you secure section A to the table you will need a small spacer around 2mm attached to the under side of the section B rail and 4mm under the section C rail so their is clearance when you extend the table out. Repeat the process on the top section in reverse.

Its pretty straight forward (i have probably made it sound very confusing) and i would suggest making a model like i have. No need to rabbet and tenon, just let it slide loose. Happy sliding

Thanks for that Lignum, I had done a search but only seemed to be able to find some pics of the fine tables people on this forum had crafted,

Cheers

Growing old is much better than the alternative!

Well, lookee here...

Cheers...............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.