Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first cutting board

Hi all, I know it's pale in comparison to all the fantastic stuff posted on this board (no pun intended) but I thought I'd post a pic of my first cutting board. It's made from jarrah & tassie oak, glued with triton pva, sanded then finished with Ecowood wood oil. I had to cut mitres on the corners as when I was squaring the ends on my triton saw table, the wobbly blade chipped the sides. Used a router with a roundover bit on all edges. Planning on giving to my brother as a birthday gift however my wife wants to keep it

Shane

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

forget about what the others post on the forum this is nice work.

Those last minute tearouts/chip are realy bummers. If it were me I would have rounded rather than mitred the corners but it still a cool looking board and as a gift or otherwise it will be much appreciated.

Carry on!

Well done and good on you for having the guts to admit the boo boo. I make 'em all the bloody time.

That's a very nice job. There's a slight variation in one of the recent Triton Woodworkers newsletters. It would be late last year. If you search the site
    www.tritonwoodworkers.org.au you'll see a newsletter index which will tell you which issue I'm referring to. It uses the same laminations and look great too. It's worth a look if you want to make another one slightly different.

Well done. And it's a good sign if people are 'fighting' over your work. You could always say that the brother gets this one but you could make another for the wife but this time biscuit the strips with a newly acquired biscuiter.

Carry Pine

Thumbs up

You done well buddy. It looks real professional and I really like it.

It must be a very heavy chopping board. I have given 3 chopping boards to my in-laws. One of them is as big as this one and my mother-in-law always complains about how heavy it is to pick it up or move it around the kitchen.

I don’t think it is too heavy but then again I am not meant to work in the kitchen. And 30years younger.

Well done mate.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Lovely Chopping Board there! Looks very solid. I do like how you've included safety considerations by rounding (mitring) off the corners. I'm sure if that corner landed on a toe or bumped into a stomach it would leave a nasty bruise.

Cheers
    Wendy

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I made one much the same out of Karri and Tas Oak, but I put the 'bits' the other way and biscuited the edge.
    SWMBO complained that it was too heavy so with a few mathematical procedures utilising a failsafe formula, I made two.
    Only took a few seconds on the SCMS (and of course I managed to expose a biscuit).
    Nice job though and the contrasting timbers do come up well.
    The mitre of course was what makes it individual and your trademark, after all we never make mistakes or have mishaps
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Lovely work Forrest.

In woodworking, as in life, a good finish can cover a lot of mistakes.

Have a greenie.

Tex

Yep: nice board, and nice making a feature out of a 'woopsy': an important skill to develop. Greeny from me too.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Thanks for all the positive comments
    I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Will definitely be making a few more and experimenting with different designs, handles etc.
    Cheers,

Shane

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

well done, i really like the contrast between the two colours
    S T I R L O

great work.. I'm thinking about one for my next project

Nice work mate. I made a big heavy job, and routed some rebates in the ends, as theyre hard to pick up otherwise. You could make a 'technical adjustment'!
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Quote Originally Posted by TassieKiwi
    Nice work mate. I made a big heavy job, and routed some rebates in the ends, as theyre hard to pick up otherwise. You could make a 'technical adjustment'!
    Thanks for the comment. Someone I know suggested the same thing. The board is actually not that big, approx 290 x 205 x 40 thick, so it doesn't weigh too much. Reckon I'll make the next one larger, though probably thinner, and add either handles or rebates. Yet another router bit to buy Might have to attempt to make a little router table now.

It's not that easy to pick up a board if it doesn't have rebates in it. Besides, it's so nice, it doubles as a cheese board etc. if it has rebates. I just used a dome bit on mine with a stop on the router fence. If you do them, rebate in just over half way and then turn the board around and do the other half. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of tearout at the end of the rebate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast