Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default (Another) Low clearance deck in perth. [Long...]

Howdy All.

I've read alot and learned alot in the forum, but it's finally time for me to start picking the brains of the pool directly ;-). I hope oneday I can return the favour.

I have *no* clearance on my deck. A while back someone posted that they were building a deck with 150mm clearance. I think that was "SIMONLEWIS". Good luck to that kind fella, as reading his threads I've learned quite a bit about bearer and joists and the like..

I have one course of brickwork between my expected deck height and my dirt (read: ground). At most I would say I'm looking at around 100mm.

There was another pster back in 2004 (archio) who even built and posted pics of exactly what I want my finished product to be:
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ght=deck+perth

However, I think maybe archio did some overkill. From reading his thread it looks like he buried bearers in the ground, supported by concrete, and then laid his joists at ground level.

I have two issues with this. One, I'm scared of wood living (or dieing, or maybe existing) in sand as WA has high termite penetration around my area. And two, is that going to far? Doesnt a bearer support the weight of a joist and the joist supports the structure of the decking? So, as I step on the decking, the 'bend' is supported by the joist. If the joist is sitting at ground level, is there a need for a bearer? One answer I can think of is "structural integrity", but I think just using joiners at regular intervals would prevent any kind of sway..

Joist Hangers..

So I think I have 3 options for my deck.
    1) Follow Archios lead and bury my bearers and have my joists sitting at ground level.
    2) Follow Simon's lead and use joist hangers and have both the bearers and joists sitting at ground level.
    3) poor concrete and build a deck over the concrete, thereby elimating the need for bearers at all. The joists should just be able to sit directly on the concrete then right? Hell, I could even built it out of that dektrak stuff then ;-).

OK OK, but my issue is cost. What I want at the end of the day is the cheapest(maintainable) deck for the money.

Mick

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default In same position

Mick,
    I am in exactly the same position. Want to build a deck but only have 2 brick courses to the sand. I did find some steel frame decking on the web where the rafters slot and click into the bearers so it is all flush and then you mount the lot on adjustable metal piers and top it off with a timber decking (Batu for me I think). This solves most of the termite problems (We are in Mt Hawthorn and the whole damn house has been eaten at some point).
    Problem is I can't remember which damn site it was. I thought it was Blusescopesteel (the piers certainly are) but am not so sure. Seems like the way to go anyway. If you figure it out, let me know. And likewise...

Regards
    Tony

I would think that burying your bearers in concrete wouldnt be a good idea due to rot and then trying to replace, although it will be years down the track, also with a low deck surely you would have ventilation problems also causing rot, I'm no expert but just a thought. You might have to excavate to get the required clearance.