Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Spiers Saga Begins!

I know, I know, it's been some time since I received the Spiers style #7 Parallel Smoother kit from The Shepherd Tool Co (since gone into liquidation), but I've had lots of other things to do and, truth be told, was a bit intimidated by the prospect of tackling this one .

Anyway, today I decided to bite the bullet and have a go. This tale and the accompanying pics are only about 30 ~ 40% of the way through the saga, but being ever the optimist, thought that I'd post this anyway.

Pic 1 is of the kit of parts plus some of the files & other tools I'll be using.

Pic 2 is an "explanatory" drawing for making the tooling buck block and cauls. Some of these dimensions are just plain weird, eg 2.3560" and 1.1780". These two don't relate to any fraction that I'm aware of. Much head scratching and sucking of teeth ensued. It turns out that these two dimensions were pretty well irrelevant anyway. I'll explain later

Pic 3 shows the tooling buck & sideplates in the locating frames (hidden by the cauls) - but if you look at the first pic, they are the mild steel items aside the two brass sideplates.

Pic 4 & 5 shows some of Shepherd's explanatory illustrations - a tad hard to read :mad: More head scratching, etc

More to come!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Part 2 of the Spiers Saga

Pic 1 I had to make up two angle guide blocks, one 15o and the other 5o. The instructions were quite specific about the former having a 3/8" deep kerf of 1/8" and the other with a kerf of 3/16". The only problem was that no mention was made of where these kerfs were to be, or what purpose they might serve. I took a punt and made the cuts as seen, but frankly now that the D/Ts have been filed, I'm still none the wiser :confused:

Pic 5 Shows me filing one of the sideplate's D/Ts (the clamp was just to allow me to take the pic...)

Pic 3 More filing. Note that the various parts have been labelled LI (left In), RO (Right Out), BS (Bottom of Sole), etc.

Pic 4 shows the trial fitting of one sideplate to the sole.

Pic 2 shows the two sideplates side by side, one filed and one not - just to illustrate the process.

More coming!

(Edit because of pic sequence error!)

Default Part 3

Pic 1 shows the vice after a loud crack was heard. Made in India - need I say more :mad: PoS - Off to Bunnies for a new vice

Pic 2 Both sideplates fitted to the sole and clamped to the tooling block ready for some major Biffo :eek: Those weird dimensions - well, they were just for the lug screws to clamp the sole to the tooling buck - so no worries.

Pic 3 Side view of same - still a few gaps though :mad:

Pic 4 One (blerry heavy) milled steel block about to receive some punishment

More!

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Bassoon
    Pic 4 & 5 shows some of Shepherd's explanatory illustrations - a tad hard to read :mad: More head scratching, etc
    Wonder why they went broke? :confused:

Al :eek:

Theirs no stopping you big sander on the go, now makin planes, what next? maybe a big table

Default The last part for today!

Pic 1 shows the sole and sideplates post-whacking (gee, that was fun if a bit nerve wracking ). The cauls took a bit of strain too as my aim with a hammer isn't that good

Pic 2 shows the sole after some initial filing - the finishing work has yet to happen, but I'm sure it will be long, protracted and probably quite tedious...

Pic 3 shows one sideplate after that has had some initial filing. The gaps visible earlier appear to have been filled, and the sole/sideplate assemble seems pretty solid. Astonishingly, it is all square too

Tomorrow will see some woodwork in trimming & fitting the infills (Cocobolo) after having riveted in and fettled the throat plate. Then all that finishing work .

Comments, brickbats and other things welcome (ish!)

Steve,
    In post 1, pic 1 - the brass sides look like they are attached to a piece of steel. What is that all about?
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1
    Steve,
    In post 1, pic 1 - the brass sides look like they are attached to a piece of steel. What is that all about?
    Hi Clinton!

The side are just resting against some steel supports that are used to keep things in alignment around the tooling buck. The bolts go through the cauls, then the supports and therefore align the sideplates. As you can see, they fit quite well together (laser cut).

I must say that when I first opened the kit, I was a bit puzzled as to what these steel pieces were for, but all became clear as I started putzing around with the bits 'n bobz

Clinton, it so the sides have something to hold them up as they are hammered.

You can use wood, the steel is prolly more resilient, and more expensive...

Again, you wonder why they went broke?

Steve, looking pretty good.

Default Some more progress today...

I can't remember ever doing this much filing . Still, some more progress made.

Pic 1 shows the initial mounting of the throat plate. Here I've already filed smooth the rivet heads.
    Pic 2 shows the throat plate rivets from the sole. These are made from some 1/4" dia mild steel stock (supplied with the kit) and peened over. More filing to bring them smooth. I radiused the edge of the holes to provide a better mechanical purchase.
    Pics 3 & 4 show thebeginning of the clean-up process of the side plates. Final clean-up & burnish will happen after the transverse rods that locate the infill pieces and the lever cap have been peened over.
    Pic 5 shows the process of filing the sole, throat plate and rear in-fill into one flat contiguous surface.

More...

Default Sunday - part 2

Pic 1 shows the sole semi-finished, and in-fill pieces test fitted
    Pic 2 shows the iron, chip-breaker & lever cap test fitted. Note the state of the iron and chip-breaker - quite pitted.
    Pic 3 is really a question. I think I'd like to round over the rear ends of the sideplates to more closely follow the shape of the sole. What's the collective opinion here?

A bit more to come next week-end

Geez Bassoon, I clicked here thinking to get some news on Britney, what do I get? Planes!

Infinitely more interesting and probably better looking, as of this current time.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Steve,
    Are you going to file a bevel on the sides in the area between the front and rear infill?
    Looking good, and thanks for the explanation.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

Hi Clinton,

I only plan to put a 'satin' finish on sideplate tops all the way along. If I cut a bevel between the infills, I think it would spoil the alignment between the rear face of the bun and the iron support face of the rear infill.

BTW, although the iron hasn't yet been sharpened, I couldn't resist giving the plane a wee push over some Jarrah with the iron in. I reckon this one's going to be a good 'un

toys for big boys hey?

Oh, I just read pic 2 in your first post - the 'cauls' make sense now.

I'll have to get some pics of the little jobbie I'm making at the moment - its gonna be really, really bad!
    I'm doing it all with just a hacksaw, files and sandpaper - cut from a 600 x 200mm sheet of 4.8 mm mild steel.
    I'm 1/2 way to RSI - but its getting there.
    Getting a 'perfect' bevel on the throat plate is the big hold up at the moment, very difficult.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast